Passed with no advisories

Shaun400r

Bought this hatch a while back from mantasrme as I knew it would be solid and mechanically sound (sri 130 engine)it was a few shades of white so I decided to go Matt black again (not everyone's taste ) I like it as it's tidied the car up I also put a black recaro interior in took it for mot today and it sailed through 👍I use this everyday and it always turns heads it's not a gte as the decals say but I like the gte stickers 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5

Mantas always look good in black, in the 90's i had a coupe i had repainted in black after accident damage, the insurance payout all but covering the cost, i did the wheels black with silver edges exclusive style and didn't put any stickers on it, the amount of times i was asked what the cars was made me think that was a mistake !

You say SRi 130, if this engine is still on the original injection, which unless something clever has been done with the manifold or its had a head swop, then it is a GT/E, all be it one created by an owner not Opels. infact if suffient engines had been availble to Opel then they should have done this as soon as the 1.8 litre Overhed Cam fuel injected engine came out. I think this engine arrived in 1984 followed not log after by the 2 litre OHC, this could have ment the run out Manta, the Exclusive could have had the 16 valve engine if enough 16 valve engines had been availble, though this might have clashed with the Astra MK 2 / Kadette E 16 valve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MANTAMAN said:

You say SRi 130, if this engine is still on the original injection, which unless something clever has been done with the manifold or its had a head swop, then it is a GT/E, all be it one created by an owner not Opels. infact if sufficient engines had been available to Opel then they should have done this as soon as the 1.8 litre Overhed Cam fuel injected engine came out. I think this engine arrived in 1984 followed not log after by the 2 litre OHC, this could have ment the run out Manta, the Exclusive could have had the 16 valve engine if enough 16 valve engines had been available, though this might have clashed with the Astra MK 2 / Kadette E 16 valve.

It was missed opportunity by Opel for sure. The standard 115 injected unit as fitted to the Mk1 Astra GTE & Cavalier SRi could have been a great a great base unit for the Berlinetta/GT and the Cavalier SRi 130 unit for the GTE (but it wasn't introduced until late1987). The run-out Exclusives could have been fitted with the 16V unit, albeit that wasn't introduced until 1988. 

What a line-up that could have been! A 16V Exclusive would have been serious competition for the 2.8 Injection Capri's. As you say, I doubt there would have been enough 16V Coscast heads being produced. Presumably, it was easier (and cheaper) just to stick with the non injection 1.8 and 2.0 CIH engines, and by that time the Calibra introduction was on the cards along with the Mk3 Cavalier.

Never doubted it would sail through an MOT, after all it was screwed together by an expert ;)

Still think it wants something done to the rims like a silver painted lip or something to break up the black of the rim from the black of the tyre

• Haha 1

On 27/08/2017 at 10:02, mantasrme said:

Still think it wants something done to the rims like a silver painted lip or something to break up the black of the rim from the black of the tyre

That is how i did my Manta when it was painted black with balck wheels, they had silver rims exculsive style, it gives the optical illusion of the wheels being bigger than they actually are, Try photoshopping ( if you are good enough to work out how to do that witchcraft ! ) a thin line around the rim in the same colour as the decals, it might work or it might look awful.