Sign in to follow this  
Dom400

Crash damaged 16v manta! (£2850)

Dom400    70

Hi, 

for sale one crash damaged manta (not complete) 

been told by insurance company today that to keep my damaged shell will cost 3800.

Would love to keep this one from the scrap yard in the sky but don't wanna be out of pocket! 

Let me know if interested asap as I need to tell insurance company decision soon! 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a8deff53074b9296

IMG_1526.JPG

As it is now! 

IMG_1875.PNG

Edited by Dom400

mantadoc    379

They want £3800 for the salvage buy back?  Nice car but salvage is normally 10% - 20%. I don't see them paying you £19,000 - £38,000 for a manta

• Like 1

garymanc    518

I have just bought my daily car back from insurance at 10% of the payout I received

I was told that was the norm

WP_20170817_19_47_24_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Dom400    70

Yeah I was shocked too!  Has anyone got anything evidence wise I can use to argue with the insurance company? 

I have agreed to a payout of 9500 but not agreed anything regarding keeping the car! 

Many help appreciated! 

Thanks! 

garymanc    518

no evidence just what I was told and what happened to me a few weeks ago

when I asked they said its normally 10% as that is the amount they receive if the insurance dispose of the vehicle themselves to the salvage company

perhaps you need to speak to them again or the insurance omnibus

is the car still in your possession don't let it go until your happy

the salvage companies would not exist if they paid a large % as am sure they won't be paying £3,800

they took the money out of my payout as I agreed with the settlement for my car

mantadoc    379

10% -20% has been the norm for decades.  You do see some higher these days, normally because they figured out that stolen recovered with keys and no damage at all they were basically giving away, but not normally old bent cars

mantasrme    400

Something odd is going on for such a large charge for the salvage certainly, or some new rule they have.

But even with that buy back cost deducted off the payout you should be able to get the car repaired for that amount without much trouble. Admittedly from those photo's you can't see the full extent of the damage to chassis rails etc, but judging from what i have seen in the past that wouldn't be a hard repair at all.

Dom400    70

I'm gonna call them again and see if I can get a better price, but without evidence from other claims just hearsay I don't think they will lower the price. Mainly because I think there pissed I'm getting nearly all that I insured it for! 🙄

mantadoc    379

Remember that if they have the car in storage arguing costs them money as storage charges build.  However, if you already settled without saying it was conditional on buying back salvage then it may well be their car already and you would have no leverage.

Also for most of us that haven't done the maths to prove the earth goes around the sun, that too is hearsay.

Edited by mantadoc

Dom400    70

Ok called the insurance muppets today and to keep this car will be 30% of the total value @ £2850! Was given a incorrect number previously, so if someone would like to help me keep one of the best mantas from the crusher pls let me know immediately! 

Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

mantadoc    379

That's more like it.  Sounds like an emotional attachment tax is being applied.

Dom400    70

No tax applied! Lol

Been looking after this one for 10+ years would hate to see it go to the crushers, but I have found a replacement and I need the cash fast! 

mantadoc    379

I don't mean you I mean the insurance

Julian    532

What's the latest news on this then?. I hope you got a good deal.