Lowering Mk1 Cavalier 1300

chrisnorrie

I bought a rare beast a while ago, a mk1 1300cc 1979 Cavalier. I'm 16 and in the process of sorting it out mainly just so it will go through an mot. Its sat in a field for 20 years so you can guess what its like. Can i get some advice on how to lower it? 

All you need to do is swap the springs, the backs are easy to do but the fronts are a tad more tricky. I would get a second opinion and look into getting new ball joints etc. Also be very VERY! careful with the front springs (and the rears too) they're under a lot of tension and have been known to cause serious injury if they fly out, I have even known them smash jaws and stick into walls. 

Be very careful! and if your not sure check. Whats it like welding wise and structurally underneath?

Its its pretty bad, but not dangerous, ill send pictures in next time im working on it, im replacing sills and rear arches and wings myself. Ive managed to get repair panels. The shocks definitely need replaced anyway since the casings are really badly rotten :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris, you do realise that you have one of the rarest varients of the Cavalier MK 1 / Ascona B / Manta B. As far as it is known there is one two door and one four door 1256cc left, your find has added a third one to this list, which is it, two or four door ?

By all means modify it and have fun with it, you have saved it after all, but due to its rarity perhaps limit modifications to reversable ones and keep stored any parts that came off the car, like the interior which is probably unique.

• Like 1