Manta 400r

peter evans

Just couldn’t take a day off  had to do something so started on the fire wall just loose fitting at the moment made from 1.5mm aluminium.

hope to finish them tomorrow if I have peace from the wife 

so here’s a couple pics

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

Yes it is coming on nicely, but unfortunately I’m going to have to take a few months off to have a hernia operation in my groin

but hoping to finish all inside before 15 December so it will only be prepping the outside and spraying probably in March of next year and on the road from 14 May that’s when it becomes historic 

no tax but will have it motd to just make sure all is well.  Peter

• Like 1

Thinking of temporary fitting of the lights to check all the wiring  is all working as it should inc horn wipers indicators so any problems I can sort out before final build 

Fit the nodiz as this will stay in the car, battery to be located in the boot... So tomorrow evening on electrics so fingers crossed all goes well 🤞 

Edited by peter evans

Just one question? No offence intended at all, 

I noticed that the cage mount below the b pillar is not seam welded, maybe you wont mot it, or maybe your mot (rules) are different, but any repair weld or additional weld here needs to be full seam welded. Again no offence, it may save you some time later, but who knows! 

I do like the front cage mount, again weird that its not above jacking point, where main strength structure is, but it looks good

Always found early shells weird that they had rear seatbelt mounts? 

As always great work looks good, great tip getting all lights sorted before final paint, oh second question, does your top loop on cage run right below interior light above rear view mirror

It’s being done this weekend same time as seat rails

cage has nothing to do with the mot only if you want msa logbook for rallying I’m not going down that road as I’m only taking my car to rally meets and shows, just a play car lol

ill put up more pics of cage when refitted top hoop etc

Edited by peter evans

2 hours ago, peter evans said:

cage has nothing to do with the mot 

Yeh, now you say that. Got yeh, Over here weld is either exposed for mot and prepped and prepared later or completely seamed and buffed, and finished so they dont pick it up, either way for it to work needs to be fully seamed, but its good to know.

Must ask, hows the other manta, with the saab engine, how do you rate it? 

Got engine up and running tonight

dry fitted lights and all other electrics got all working but high beam not switching over but can’t be much I’ll be sorting that tomorrow 

also placing my order for new revolutions tomorrow  9” tears and 8”fronts 

hopefully it will be all done by Xmas apart for spraying the outside

Edited by peter evans
  • Like 4

All electrics working now inc low/high beam

fuel tank re-fitted, finishing fitting body kit today will be removing wings sealing to the bodywork so no water ingress also be sealing with seam sealer under front wings where they attach to the car

ill put up some more pics later

sold my other manta today it’s gone to Glasgow so frees up some cash to buy the last few bits for the 400r happy days 😁

Edited by peter evans

40 minutes ago, bris jas said:

Coming on well there Peter, does the 4th trumpet fit by the servo or will it need a little adjustment? Also what are your plans for a heater if you were planning on having one?

I’ve bought 2 short trumpets so there’s plenty of room to put the foam filters on

as for the heater I’m going to fit a electric one or a vw  polo mk 1 heater unit if I can source one 

as for the servo I’ll buy a vacuum pump as there’s no fitting on my manifold , or get another manifold.

Edited by peter evans

Looked around but looks no plug and play option.

The best option is looking for one and make a bracket that fits on your engine/alternator. 

Some adjusting is possible with dissasamble the pulley and use some shims. 

If you are going that way and use a second hand: Don't forget to change the oil seal between the alternator and the vacuumpump. 

Otherwise oil can run into the alternator. 

On 05/12/2018 at 16:10, H-400 said:

Looked around but looks no plug and play option.

The best option is looking for one and make a bracket that fits on your engine/alternator. 

Some adjusting is possible with dissasamble the pulley and use some shims. 

If you are going that way and use a second hand: Don't forget to change the oil seal between the alternator and the vacuumpump. 

Otherwise oil can run into the alternator. 

Ok thanks I’ll pop to local scrapyard to see what’s there

Bit more done this evening re fitted the roll cage  and all the dash

weekend I’ll be making all the brake lines or I might buy a set ready made have to alter the one from the front to the rear as I’m fitting hydraulic handbrake aswell as mechanical 

• Like 2

Not got anything done this week as I’m in hospital for my pre op tests tomorrow and op next Monday so I’ll be out of action for a few weeks ☹️

So I guess I’ll be ordering lots of bits n bobs to finish the 400r, although I don’t need a great deal so all you people have a great Xmas and new year 

BACK SOON PETER