Friday nights the night.

Recently i posted a question for some tech advise on this forum.  At the time i was trying to help out an old friend who has owned his  White Manta GTE for 30 years since it was just 2 years old.  Its been garaged all its life and is solid and in great condition 85k miles.  Further to that the car has only done 1000 miles in the last ten years but has every MOT and receipt to come with.  

Out of the blue my friend has shockingly decided its time to move the car on for various reasons and knowing that i loved his car so much has offered me first chance of buying the car.  So on friday night i will take ownership of it.  I can't wait.  He is an owners club member though never been to an event and doesn't have internet. Hard to believe but true. He is truly old school.  My intention is to use the car on sunny days and go to various shows and events throughout the summer.  I also have a peugeot 205 gti 1.9 which I'm currently rebuilding the engine on and this will give me some time to finish that properly now as i can drive the manta.  

I will post some pics on Friday when i get the car.  But i will look forward to driving and showing the car off.  Especially up in Glasgow where i stay as i couldn't say the last time i even seen one on the road or at a show.

Will post some pics when i can .

Cheers

David

ps its a B reg Coupe incase anyone was wondering.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Kenny400 said:

Congrats - hope you have somewhere dry to keep it . When I lived in Glasgow in my youth, my exclusive coupe disintegrated in front of my eyes over a winter!

Luckily i have a big garage which will now be full.  It won't be seeing any water. Unless i decide to wash it. And it probably won't get dirty.  Will be more of a dust required. Haha Post up pics tomorrow.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kenny400 said:

Congrats - hope you have somewhere dry to keep it . When I lived in Glasgow in my youth, my exclusive coupe disintegrated in front of my eyes over a winter!

I know what you mean! My GTE had the front panel/grill replaced under the anti-perforation warranty within 5 years from new. All down to Renfrewshire weather!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brianm said:

Nice one pal ,im down in ayrshire let me know when your out and about i do loads of shows in scotland gies a shout if fancy going out a run 

Cheers brian

I will do Brian.

Got the car tonight.  Over the moon.  Its in great condition for the age and never been welded not had an advisory for any welding. Ive got every mot and a 30 year old log book.  

If i could figure out how to post pics i would.....??? 

• Like 1

Great news! And we are waiting for pics!

I have an account on photobucket to post pictures on forums, If you google it you'll find out how to use it.

I own also a non welded Manta, keep it in a place with an air-dryer, controlled with a hygrometer. Some weeks ago had to 

dismantle the bumper to install a cold air intake:

IMG_6516_zps1poy0pwj.jpg

Only dust, no rust...

But if it rains during a meeting, it rains. A car is made to drive! Drove to Denmark,Germany, France, Austria...

When I'm back home I clean the car, even the engine and suspension. 

Don't put it in a glass box, enjoy it!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help 

after looking over he car now it's structure is solid. However there are signs of rust in certain places. Starting on the arches and also front wings  but that Said its 32 years old and still looks great. Maybe if I can get to meet some of you guys then I can get advice on what to do in the future with it to preserve it as best I can. It's totally original just now. But if it meant keeping it on the road for another 30 years and I had to replace panels I will eventually put a plan in place for that  but right now it's here to be driven. 

Years back my friend took wings off door cards etc and wax oiled the whole car. He was a rolls Royce air craft engineer for his whole life  hence it's been well looked after.