Manta GT/E (Exclusive spec)

The General

You are right on this one, you have put in the hours and hard work to get the manta into top shape, and I always think it’s more rewarding when you have achieved this on your own, now leaving it up to the insurance and professional body shops to repair is the way forward, they will check all alignment, panel gaps and any other affected areas and you will get a NEW car back, hopefully with minimal inconvenience to you. 

• Like 1

Judging by the way your drivers side wing has also moved your car may need to be put on a jig to be straightened.

Can you see any kinks in the chassis rails or has everything just moved over.

I had a knock like this once and it had also bent the front subframe so if you're going to check things yourself too really do need to look everywhere. 

• Like 2

That’s terrible news, I really feel for you.

Try to keep positive, as you said yourself, family are the most important thing - and thankfully you were not hurt in the accident.

I have my fingers crossed that everything works out for you.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Snowy said:

Judging by the way your drivers side wing has also moved your car may need to be put on a jig to be straightened.

Can you see any kinks in the chassis rails or has everything just moved over.

I had a knock like this once and it had also bent the front subframe so if you're going to check things yourself too really do need to look everywhere. 

Hi Snowy. The front crossmember (where the horn is bolted to) is straight. No kinks or ripples. Chassis legs look straight and I have put a ruler on them and no kinks. Im only going to do a document with what I can see and make sure that anything I notice is corrected as well as what the body shop find. I think the whole thing flexed. The bonnet lines up at the front but is about 5mm out on the back, but I think it has moved on the hinges.

It is just getting all the bits im worried about really. The most difficult I see is the little strip of alloy that runs just above the bumper. Mine was unmarked not a ripple in it. It now resembles a 4ft boomerang with knots in! 

1 minute ago, The General said:

The bonnet lines up at the front but is about 5mm out on the back, but I think it has moved on the hinges.

That really doesn't sound good.

Good luck with getting it repaired. 

• Like 1

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo :o  after all that hard work and time.

As snowy says something has moved to flex the wing away from the scuttle panel. As the main hit was high it may have pushed the upper nosecone across slightly, which will have pulled the front of the bonnet across with the catch. That should be easy enough to pull back into position as long as there is no damage once the wing is off, assuming the bodyshop doing the repair doesn't just want to replace the whole nosecone (a lot of them do just like fitting new parts as its easier for them!).

Looking at how the lower wing is folded under you may find a bit of damage on the lower front panel end, although that should be easy enough to fold back out to the right shape.

Hopefully you get a good assessor out to look at the car who's been doing the job long enough to remember the manta's from back in the day and knows how they go together.

I know David. Its the sort of thing you read about! 450 miles then wham! Thanks for the advice. I have a classic car policy from Footman James. I have never had to use their services before so I'm uncertain about the quality of the service they give as yet, but I will keep you all posted as I'm sure recommendations are important. I hope they dont write it off that's all. 

I have a friend who manages a body shop in Cheltenham and he has had a brief look. They are a used to dealing with classics and older vehicles and my friend has told me that they have even fabricated stuff before for old cars when panels haven't been available. My friend owns a marcos mantis and he is even more fussy than me when it comes to finish and I'm bloody fussy! 

It's just a pain in the arse I don' want .

5 hours ago, The General said:

I know David. Its the sort of thing you read about! 450 miles then wham! Thanks for the advice. I have a classic car policy from Footman James. I have never had to use their services before so I'm uncertain about the quality of the service they give as yet, but I will keep you all posted as I'm sure recommendations are important. I hope they dont write it off that's all. 

I have a friend who manages a body shop in Cheltenham and he has had a brief look. They are a used to dealing with classics and older vehicles and my friend has told me that they have even fabricated stuff before for old cars when panels haven't been available. My friend owns a marcos mantis and he is even more fussy than me when it comes to finish and I'm bloody fussy! 

It's just a pain in the arse I don' want .

Just remember if the from panel had moved then it attaches to the front chassis rails and inner wings. So look for stress fractures and tearing here.

• Like 1

This can't be possible!!

I am convinced with your craftsman skills you will get the car back on the road.

About the drivers side wing: could it be possible that it is bended cause the bonnet moved aside against it?

I wish you all the luck with the repairs,

grts, Herman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

A Little update for you all. The car goes in for repairs on the 6th July. The body shop I'm using is run by a friend of mine and he is well into his cars of the 80's and early 90's. I will upload a few pictures tomorrow of the car. I have stripped out most of the under bonnet (again)! so it doesn't make re-spraying a nightmare, and he has promised me that he will mask up all my work so my underside and engine bay wont get covered in overspray!

The project now is removing all the Interior, as I don't want crud all over my nice Chicago Grey seats, door cards and carpets!

• Like 5

Excellent news!

Just re-read the complete thread. After all the work you put into it originally, you certainly deserve to be back on the road again soon! 

How long will the rebuild etc take? Hopefully not too long. 

Repairs and respray about 2 - 3 weeks. I'm paying extra to get a full respray done. He's going to attack a few bodywork issues to make her like new again. 

She will then get shipped back to mine and I will reassemble the underbonnet and reinstall the interior, rear lighting and bumper. That will take about 2 - 3 Days. I've removed everything on the front end that would compromise the respray, including unthreading the loom from the front end back to the bulkhead . I've removed all the numberplate lights out of the bumper and unthreaded the loom from the rear panel etc. It's like last year all over again!

• Like 2

Pleased to hear progress is being made now and by the sounds of it it’s going to be perfect when she’s done again, you are going the full 9 yards quite right. everything should still be fresh in your mind and make for an easy assembly  :thumbup

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 06/09/2017 at 09:10, jonayres said:

Wow, fingers crossed for the MOT. Looking forward to the update. Thanks for doing such a good job of reporting the progress.

The last time I drove a manta was in 2005 on my wedding day when I had F777 CGP. The current one. B550 OPR will be my thirteenth Manta since my very first one that I bought in 1988 when it was just 4 years old - B102 PAA. I've even got a picture hung up of photos of some of them. At one time, I owned E444 XYC and E449 XYC at the same time. I learned that usually, a Manta with an exclusive logo on it was even more rusty than the others!. That's when you could buy a manta for about £500 with an MOT on it! I owned a white GSi  - C793 KRO at the same time as F777 CGP too. Like you, I'm itching to get into B550 OPR - when it's ready!

I think I might book an appointment with the doctor - surely there's tablets or therapy for this degree of lunacy?? HELP!!!!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I owned E444 XYC for a number of years, was my third and final Manta. Parted ways with it in 2001 (I think).

• Like 2