Manta GT/E (Exclusive spec)

The General

Ok, I thought that I should start to show you Guys something of my work as I'm sure there are a few of you that don't actually believe that I own a Manta and that I'm just palming the spare parts off for serious cash! If anyone remembers back in the late summer I was very close to selling the car. I even posted it up for sale in the forums and on a well known auction site.

After what alcoholics call "a moment of clarity" I decided not to sell and do all the work myself and put the old girl back on the road. I'm pleased that I did. The car has been in my family for 27 years and I have known all but the first two owners. So here we go with a few images to start as she is now  and then I will upload a few more "before shots" and a list of what I've done up to now later in an update.

I have made a new backboard in 5mm plywood and added extra brackets to keep if firm and secure. I am going to cover the back in sound matting and the boot side in carpet to match the parcel shelf.

The Underside. All rust cut out and new metal welded in. All seams have been re-resealed with UPOL seam sealer and then the whole underside has had two complete coats of white stoneguard and then two coats of gloss white. Sill sections have received black stone guard and waxoil underseal. New fuel line posts fitted onto the body and pipes held on with stainless P-Clips.

All new flexible fuel hoses and all brake piping will be replaced with copper.

Under bonnet has been resprayed. All seams have been re-sealed with UPOL

more to follow.......

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 11

looks like a lot of work and effort has went in to your manta :thumbup How did you paint the underside, brush or spray? And what paint did you use? It looks really smooth. I'm nearly at that stage and I was considering white POR15 brush on as I don't have any spraying facilities in my garage.

• Like 1

LOL ! It took 6 cans of White Hammerite Stone chip Shield to give two coats. and believe it or not 10 cans of poundland Gloss white! 300mm for £1 while Halfords want £7.99 for 500ml gloss white, it was a no brainer! I thought seeing that a paint match was not required any Gloss white was good enough. It's only to give a wipe down surface. The real protection comes from the Stone Chip Shield underneath. The finish was fine but it stinks life F**K so make sure you wear a mask. They are £20 from Toolstation.

Halfords Paint Cans were used for the under bonnet, seems to give a very good paint match, then given a coat of petrol resistant lacquer

• Like 1

As to time, well yes. I've scrutinized everything I can. top and bottom dash removed, wiring loom removed and checked and connections / wires replaced where necessary.  Wings removed and seams cleaned off and re-sealed with brushable seam sealer, then sprayed with two coats of Hammerite stone shield, then with underseal waxoil. most of the gearbox tunnel was in good order but any surface rust areas were cleaned up and treated with Loctite 7503 "Rust Remedy" to prevent return before coating with Stone Chip Shield and paint.

The Chassis is now Done so it is a case of restoring parts and then fitting then on the car.... The fun bit!! I'm just fitting a central locking kit but the brackets the supply are so flimsy I'm sure the cardboard that I use to make temples for new brackets was stronger. also clearance is tight inside the door to the window slider. While the wings were off I have fitted rubber cable tunnels into the doors so the C/L kit can be fitted and door speakers put in. I have got an article for the club mag in production to show how to do this, but you need to remove the wings..

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just a few images for you guys to check out! I've covered the entire bulkhead with heat reflective sound proofing, also today I have just fitted the wings and side skirts! She's finally starting to look like a finished car. Another picture is me removing all the old panel sealant off the wings. I have used a High grade seam sealer to replace it with.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mantadoc said:

Those seams weren't sealered when new dude.

Hmm that's frustrating, and a tad annoying. The only reason I have done this is when the new wings were put on in 96-97 the body shop sealed them up, pre then I cant recall. I'm unsure if this will cause problems, but looking at the water run I don't think so, I think I might just have stopped another place for dirt and grime to hold moisture.  Looks wise I prefer them sealed up, but if you know any horror stories please tell.

• Like 1

Looking good! You are cracking on for sure!

You made a fine job of fitting the black trim strip between the bumper and headlights. I've noticed a few recently that look wonky or not fitted at all, leaving a bit of a gaping hole which doesn't look right.

As for the seam sealing, anything that stops water gathering or penetrating can only be a good thing.

Edited by Monaco Blue
  • Like 1

I remember when I took my cav for a full repainted a few years ago. I had made extra sure the wing to body gaps were all clear ,gapped good and even sprayed a base colour into them before the wings were fitted. A few days later I called in at the body shop to see how they were getting on and to my horror the guy had seam sealered  over both wing gaps top and bottom and to the front valance.i made him remove it all and leave them open. He couldn't understand my thinking but did it anyway.when I got the car back I prefer to fill the gaps with windscreen sealer and then "wipe out the gaps deep".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

I remember when I took my cav for a full repainted a few years ago. I had made extra sure the wing to body gaps were all clear ,gapped good and even sprayed a base colour into them before the wings were fitted. A few days later I called in at the body shop to see how they were getting on and to my horror the guy had seam sealered  over both wing gaps top and bottom and to the front valance.i made him remove it all and leave them open. He couldn't understand my thinking but did it anyway.when I got the car back I prefer to fill the gaps with windscreen sealer and then "wipe out the gaps deep".

The wings and doors were new and the sprayer (although not very good) fitted them, then removed them and sprayed them then refitted them, when I removed the sealer on the joints depicted there was not a sign of corrosion so I figured this is the way to go.

I would have thought that the only reason they didn't do this in the factory is they couldn't be assed. another job to do and another salary to pay. If you have seen the "Last Manta" video look at the guy applying seam sealer! its very crude and I think any sort of finesse was out the window.

I have looked at that video many times and thought "AHHHH that's why they rust there"! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

Looking good! You are cracking on for sure!

You made a fine job of fitting the black trim strip between the bumper and headlights. I've noticed a few recently that look wonky or not fitted at all, leaving a bit of a gaping hole which doesn't look right.

Its just at a stage now where it's just a lot of "Re-assembly" with light cleaning. As for the rubber strip, well i spent a bit of time fiddling with that, hopefully it wont end up flapping about in the wind on the M5 :lol: !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also over the past week (or so) I have insulated the cockpit of the car, and fitted most of the interior, all apart from the drivers seat as getting to the pedal box area is a pain with it in. If you are looking for something to clean the interior with I am amazed at the JML magic eraser. Just use clean cold water and keep rinsing it out and change the water regular. My door cards and seats had a brown tinge to them and its cleaned them up almost like new and restored the original colour.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Ok I know it's been months since I've given an update, but I thought that I would upload a few images so that you can see what's been happening since May with a little bit of text as a guide. Thanks to everyone who has given solid advise, long live the club and the forum!!!!!! that reminds me ..... my subs are due!! :lol:

Here we go!

1) Complete strip and rebuild and repaint of extended prop shaft. Torque tube blasted with new rubber centre support and new bearing inserted

2) Axle strip and check over, repainted and hand cut gaskets made for re-assembly

3) Front suspension fully stripped and repainted.

4) Hub bearings checked for wear (they are like new), New front discs fitted, ATE callipers stripped and repainted, assembled with New seal kit from "The Big Red"

5) Full rack and pinion strip, check and rebuild and adjust up fitted with new gators (Images Above)

6) Rear brakes completely rebuilt with new handbrake cable, brake drums, brake fitting kit, slave cylinders, shoes (Everything apart from self adjusters)

7) Complete master Cylinder rebuild with new original ATE seal kit, and new reservoir rubber seals.

8) Complete Engine strip and rebuild, with polished rear oil seal journal (-0.003") with new seal, Front crank pully fitted with a new speedi-sleeve and seal, new valve stem oil seals, new water pump, new cam chain, cam tensioners and tensioner guides.

BEFORE

AFTER

8)  Engine fitted yesterday

That's it for now! 

Edited by The General
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...