Seeking further info on the 4WD prototypes

RGBS

I have also gotten a reply from the Quaife Engineering employee that first replied to my email: he says that Mick Quaife confirms that he bought the rally prototype from Opel for use in rallycross and sold it not long after since it "was not what he wanted", yet the car was "acceptably fast", per the statement. I am trying to find out more details but it is not easy having to go through an intermediary.

This seems to confirm the first part of the story. KGM has yet to reply, which would be great if they did since they are the last known owners of the car before they sold it off. I will, of course, share my findings with the community.
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Since all parties we had been hinted towards have either ignored us or refused to cooperate, we have decided to terminate our research towards finding the current owners. Still, much was learned in the process and basically what we know is already in this thread or linked to within. I'm also glad that it didn't get sidetracked too much. May it help future seekers of information about the Manta 4WD prototypes.

That being said, thank you to everyone who positively contributed!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

not related to this thread but ive have been in contact with british engineer for a few years, who worked with opel at russelshiem during this period and beyond (as in physically worked on the cars)  i was not quizzing about this car, it just incidental knowledge.  he said it was a manta400 gearbox with new bellhousing to accept furguson transfer box, front diff hubs and suspension also furguson.  the reason the project was abandoned was due to abnormally short front drive shafts, physically limiting suspension travel (drastically compared to 2wd manta) to the point it was damaging the wishbones.  the boxes were converted back to RWD spec and reused, as was the 4x4 manta prototype car.

he also said the parts were tried in a kadett D, but only built to rolling shell and then abandoned

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Have found this picture in a article about a Dutch photographer that took pics for car magazines. He said this is one of the strangest position of a car he took pics of. Probably the same location as the black & white pic above:

dGcOXaT.jpg

Scanned it, at this pic you can see the coilover above the upper wishbone to give the drive shafts clearence. Also the chassis rails and sliding plates show this car was already used intensiv.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FF also did a conversion for the CF Van. I think for off road telecoms/electricity grid work 

Someone selling the transfer box, and front diff etc on Ebay at the moment, if anybody fancies making a recreation.

Getting that front diff under the engine would be a challenge though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314430487325?hash=item4935847b1d:g:Z5QAAOSwfj1hM6EZ

Edited by Moonmonkey
Grammar

3 hours ago, Moonmonkey said:

FF also did a conversion for the CF Van. I think for off road telecoms/electricity grid work 

Someone selling the transfer box, and front diff etc on Ebay at the moment, if anybody fancies making a recreation.

Getting that front diff under the engine would be a challenge though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314430487325?hash=item4935847b1d:g:Z5QAAOSwfj1hM6EZ

Better going for a more modern one as they are a smaller package. Not sure on ratios, but should be something out there to do the job.