Mike's Manta.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel pump set up refurbished and fitted in original location under the boot, 5/16” cupronickel fuel lines run in......not easy stuff to work with but got there in the end, still got the fuel tank to fit with new hoses to attach to the new lines,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

3/16”brake lines run in, I’ll spend a little time tomorrow fetteling the pipe work to get it the best I can, I found it a challenge  to make the pipe work look tidy in the engine bay as it was intended by Opel, running the brake lines itself was the easy part, getting them to look right is a different matter,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

the fuel lines in the engine bay I’ll trim shorter when I get my engine in and have a better idea of what’s required, I have given some extra length on these at the moment.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

One pack of 10 Tetrosyl sound deadning pads (200mm x 500mm each) fitted to floor pans, 3 pads each for front driver and passenger foot wells, 2 pads each for back passenger foot wells, one pack doesn’t go far! Should help though,

The window washer bottle area when I got the Manta needed attention as it was crusty, new metal was welded in and now she’s painted it’s looking fresh, a view from the drivers steering column and wheel well area,

Passenger side wheel well area and battery tray also needed new metal welded in but again once seam sealed and painted it’s solid, dash was removed and all metalwork behind prepped and painted,

Inner rear drivers side wheel arch, all wax oiled as a preventative measure, I’ll extensively wax oil once I’m finished painting and before final interior trim assembly,

From inside you can see the klockerholm repair panel joints if you look closely but once the rear cards are on these will never be seen,

Next on my list of jobs to tackle is front and back subframes, engine, gearbox and exhaust, looking forward to getting her off the dolly and back on her wheels.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Before removing the 2.0E CIH from the Manta I made sure it ran.... all good so out it came for a full strip down and rebuild,

Fairly quickly it was realised a new camshaft was required,

Heavy scoring was evident so new camshaft sourced,

Cylinder head removed and sent up to Precision Engine Services in Inverness, they vacuum checked the head for cracks, de-coked, cut seats and lapped in valves, rebuilt head with new camshaft and new seals and dressed cam bearings,

The old sump was so rusty I put a wire brush through it trying to clean it up so a new sump was sourced,

Engine now fully reconditioned with a complete top and bottom set of gaskets, new water pump, belt, oil pressure sender, NGK spark plugs, sump and camshaft. Gear box fitted along with new clutch and release bearing, all ready to be fitted,

• Like 2

Manta shell removed from the dolly and lifted on the 2 poster ramp, I intend to fit the engine, gearbox, subframes from below by lowering the shell onto them,

Engine and gearbox bolted together and stored on a wooden pallet then wheeled under the raised shell and positioned carefully then the shell lowered down slowly, inch by inch,

a few tense moments and plenty of double checking,

Engine fitted like a glove, trailing arm bolt holes lined up, bolts through chassis and training arms fitted, then front shocks,

Front subframe fitted now on to the rear,

To be honest fitting the rear subframe, panhard rod and prop shaft was more of a hassle than the front, but got there in the end,

Next was on to the Sportex exhaust, first a new gasket on the exhaust manifold then downpipe,

Middle section and back box went on really easily,

Clear celofane still on chrome exhaust tip, but I’m happy with the look of the exhaust.

The Sportex system fitted spot on, no hassle or heating with oxy-acetylene, straight bolt on, no alterations, clearances throughout was perfect,

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 1

One whole day, 7am start till 5pm finish has taken this from a shell on a dolly to a rolling project, engine and gearbox in, subframes and wheels on plus exhaust, I’m happy with that for a days work,

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 8

Mike, see you have a sunroof, did you extend the sunroof drain pipes out through the sills at the front, you can but a 8mm double nozzle joiner and you need about 6 inches each side of green manta sunroof drain pipe and two grommets to take hose out. 

Surprising how much even a new seal will let water through! 

You can also plug, the engine area chassis leg holes, if you are treating the inner chassis cut 2, or 3 inches of garden hose, to stop your treatment running out. 

Im gonna do this and also, drill and plug holes into the chassis from inside the car, for future treatment

Great work, looks really new!!!! 

Thanks evo03, originally my Manta would have been a non sunroof, but I have the addition of the pop up type glass roof. All working perfectly, no drain tubes to worry about and none of the dreaded rust issues that go along with the Opel cassette type tilt or slide versions as the later cars were fitted with, so all good on a sunny day,

Spent today on fluids, filled brake fluid resivoir and bled brake system starting at the back brakes and working forward, then  put new genuine Vauxhall oil into the gearbox and the rear diff,

I was going to tackle the build up in my garage but speaking to these lads they lent me the use of their garage and ramps for the weekend, it really did make the assembly of the Manta easier having the right tools and equipment,

Finally before I finished for the day I let her down on her wheels then went through all the front subframe bolts and tightened them up, after letting the new rubber bushes settle, she is sitting high at the back at the moment but I’ll see if it’s going to drop slightly once I get her fully assembled with Petrol tank, bumpers, boot, glass etc,

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 7

• 2 months later...

It’s the small details that make a big difference and provide a finishing touch to a project, when I bought the Manta three years ago, there was no boot liner or petrol tank concealing card, I know these can be made but I keep a look out for original parts, not easy to locate but thanks to another Manta owner I now have sourced these and trial fitted  to see how it looks,

from this,

To this,

now the boots tidy,

Pleased with the result.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 8

Thanks for your comments,

A Manta GT/E for me has always been a real desire of mine since I was 17 and never being able to own or afford one in my younger days (plus a mid life crisis thrown in..... nearly 50 !) has ignited a passion and real interest in this restoration, I have gained for the first time a hobby of which I can loose hours in the garage and love every minute, it’s been so far a huge learning curve, welding, mechanical, trim cleaning and restoration and a vast amount of time searching for spares. My kids are both up and working now, one time served and one through university so I can now devote my spare time to my Manta without feeling guilty of not spending enough time with them. I must admit it started off with the idea of getting a good example for a runabout on the road with an mot, something tidy enough but as time went on and progress is made on the Manta it’s a case of when I’m at this stage I need to do this right, or at least the best I can, then before I know it it’s went from an idea of a decent example to quite a comprehensive restoration. I have had to pay for some professional work which I haven’t been talented or skilled enough to do or brave enough to tackle but I knew that there would be those bills and issues to deal with, and this so far has been three years worth of work, so a slow drip feed of money instead of all spent in one lump sum which does help. What I don’t want is to be welding for every mot so that’s why nows the time to tackle this right in the hope I can run it for years and enjoy it. I’m hoping to do the North Coast 500 run this summer and possibly the North East 250 plus some classic car shows. I’m waiting for it now to go back into the bodyshop for its final coat of paint, panels, doors and bumpers on, hopefully in the next week or two. 👍

• Like 4

I have just received an order from Thomas at edelschmiede for the next jobs I have to tackle, the two rubber grommets for the fuel flow and return hoses entering the boot area through the floorpan are beyond salvage due to perishing, so new ones sourced. The thermostat housing is on the list of jobs so I ordered new gaskets for this as well, was able to source  a new thermostat locally. Fuel injector housing gasket and seals will also be renewed when I’m at it,

should do the job perfectly,

spoke to my bodyshop this week to fix a date to get back into the spray booth.......

6 weeks to wait, 8th April is the date I have been given, I still have a lot of work to do once I get her back home, I can see my chances of the North Coast 500 run slipping this year, ah well there is always another time,

once I get her back I will feel I have turned a corner and the end is in sight. Should only leave petrol tank, engine hoses, dash, wiring looms, headlining, glass, carpets, door cards, seats, door, boot, bonnet catches and locks, gutter trims, plastic louvres on b pillars, heater matrix, wire up quad lights which I’m expecting won’t be straight forward ........ quite a list when you start. Maybe it will just fall into place when I get going again.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Finally............my date for final spray was pushed on another week, what’s another week to wait in the grand scheme of things? But now for the final push. Monday 15th April the bodyshop starts work back on the Manta,

Delivered the Manta to the paint shop first thing this morning, hopefully in a weeks time she will look completely different, doors, bonnet, boot, wings, skirts and bumpers fitted, dash and wiring loom back in, then hopefully the rest of the work will just fall into place quite quickly, don’t want to miss this summer months ahead!

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 12

This week there has been radio silence from the bodyshop, I didn’t want to bother them but was hoping they were working on the Manta, the bodyshop manager has just e mailed me progress photos from this week,

Front wings stone chipped and painted inside, then mounted on the wing rails,

Front quads and under light trim on for panel alignment testing,

Petrol cap and skirts fitted,

All good to go, apparently now she will be dismantled for full respray next week, then masked up for semi Matt black gutter and rear quarter window details,

• Like 2

You could imagine how excited I was Ian,  opening up the e mail hoping it contained photos,

this week has been a long week just waiting but now I can envisage next week taking even longer!! I don’t think I could ever get so enthused or excited about a new car as I do on classics, unless it was an expensive sports car or supercar, I can only dream about those......... so I’ll have to make do with the old Manta 👍

• Like 1