GTE Coupe 1984

TheRealExile

Slowly, too cold for my rust proofing to cure properly :mellow: did manage to get an inner wing proofed with the help of the 8 year old whilst the temperature was ok.

Going to coat the inner wings and pretty much everything underneath in 2pk black next.

Going to get some dough together hopefully to get someone to do those rear quarters for me as it's holding everything up.

Maybe if I start drilling the spot welds out I'll get going and cut the rear quarters  off, I know what I'm like once I finally get started on stuff :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealExile said:

Slowly, too cold for my rust proofing to cure properly :mellow: did manage to get an inner wing proofed with the help of the 8 year old whilst the temperature was ok.

Going to coat the inner wings and pretty much everything underneath in 2pk black next.

Going to get some dough together hopefully to get someone to do those rear quarters for me as it's holding everything up.

Maybe if I start drilling the spot welds out I'll get going and cut the rear quarters  off, I know what I'm like once I finally get started on stuff :rolleyes:

You’ll get there🙂 I’ve found a power file and some sharp panel splitters very good for removing spot welds without damaging or holing the panel below which you want to weld to allowing you to neatly plug weld the new panel on if no access to a spot welder 🙂

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

Cheers I'll give that a go, still got a little bit of unspent money stashed from my Birthday back in April :thumbup

Also noticed a load of bog inside both doors that seems to have seeped through holes made for that mantzel kit, also lots on the outside where they blended it in, gonna knock it off the outside of the doors and see what I'm left with :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Speaking about your doors, is it just me but look carefully at your first picture of your manta on the trailer, have you seen the “face” or “person” on your passenger door? :ph34r:

It looks like the Skull Crusher sweets i used to get in my 10p mixture at school! :lol:

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

No excuses for me now....My lads have bought me a mig for Christmas! And the Mrs has bought me a shiny new tool box :D

Bought myself the powerfile and panel splitter too.

Moving house (again) on the 4th and will finally have a decent size garage where I can actually get around the sides and have space to work.

Can anyone advise as where is best for welding supplies these days? I need some gloves and a helmet for starters and some sheet steel to have a go at the section near the rear of the sill. If it looks crap after finishing I'll buy a full panel but Ian's recent efforts have inspired me that it can be done.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

What thickness steel should I be using?

The 2 areas for patching are a small hole inner wheel arch and rear o/s will. 

Minimum of 1.2 mm thick, but 1.5 mm if it’s readily available to you.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Manta on the move and now nestled in new house with bigger garage, I can actually get to both sides now :D

test... why are my pictures side on.... hmmmm

How odd, this one shows sideways on the PC with MS Photo editor, the ones above were the right way on the PC :unsure:

• Like 1

On 01/01/2018 at 18:12, CRAZYDAVE said:

You’ll get there🙂 I’ve found a power file and some sharp panel splitters very good for removing spot welds without damaging or holing the panel below which you want to weld to allowing you to neatly plug weld the new panel on if no access to a spot welder 🙂

Good old DynaFile we had fun using these on Aircraft Structures, they were air/compressor powered as not allowed to use electrical type.

I have one of these B&D in my shed, never start a project without it. :thumbup

Got me a power file and panel splitter now :thumbup hoping to get some time next weekend to get to work. 

Spent all day plastering a blinking wall at the old house and doing tip runs 😞

2 days to get it finished to hand over to the new owners, tons of blown halogen bulbs to replace, one more tip run, last of our crap to bring and then the big clean..... whilst trying to do the day job, can see me there midnight on Tuesday:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Wirebrush, Bilt Hamber then thick black chassis paint. More Bilt Hamber being applied today and then more paint if the Bilt Hamber cures... temp should be up to 14 so should be fine!

Edited by TheRealExile
can't spell
  • Like 3

Other side done this Afternoon, also many bits wire brushed, Bilt Hamber and painted that the eye will never see but best to get them done.

I found out that Bilt Hamber turns red/white hair black :lol: I think I'll invest in a cap! 

• Like 4

FSG4002 part number for CV boot £8.77

FTR4061 part number for Tie rod end outer £14.54

both available from any decent motor factor, great to see you now pushing on with your Manta 👍

Edited by Mike.
  • Thanks 1