Manta 400R

Kenny400

Just over 5 years ago I bought an OMOC Members car that was the subject of 'Hedleys casebook' in the club mag.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The car was loved but well used by its only owner having covered over 200k miles as a daily driver. I commissioned Retropower to complete a 400R conversion initially with the intention of a basic XE engine and basic spec. The car inevitably had rot 'in the usual places' but the roof was miraculously rust free so the decision was made to keep the sunroof. The car was a regular at Billing I believe.

Edited by Kenny400
  • Like 2

A very long story short - the quest for a good IRS setup saw the purchase of a tatty Nissan Skyline R33 gtst and the idea of a full RB25 conversion started with some significant modifications to the Manta.

Edited by Kenny400
  • Like 4

Very interested to see how this works out as i was not long ago looking at the same idea for a rear diff upgrade on mine.

Although thought the R32 or S13 would be a better fit for me due to being a bit narrower (20-30mm in track)

Looks like you have the RB25 sitting well back 

How does it fit for height? 

Will you have to move the steering rack? 

The full up to date build diary is on the Retropower website but I thought I would try to tell the story on here, got a lot of catching up to do as the car is 80-90% complete and hoping to make Billing this year finances permitting. The car required fairly extensive metalwork , there was rot everywhere anyway! 

Bulkhead, transmission tunnel, and particularly the rear floor were modified and roll cage tied in 

The hole for the aerial is one of the few jobs I trusted myself to do....the rest left the professionals ..... Top respect to the guys on here that have the skills to do this themselves.

The RB25 sits on strengthened standard front subframe , no issues with steering rack, rear is full R33 skyline IRS with fabricated mounting points tied to rollcage. Width is great for use with 400 kit.

Edited by Kenny400
  • Like 1

No issues on engine height - modified the sump to suit Manta subframe. Top mount manifold for the turbo is tightest fit and highest thing is the turbo from memory, actual turbo is now bigger as in this photo. Car had new drivers side inner wing fitted due to rot and passenger side slightly modified to allow boost pipe fit down to inter cooler.

Edited by Kenny400
  • Like 3

New project is always helpful, new ideas, but i have known about this for quite a while, but keep posting....... looks great! Structure of engine bay has changed alot, 

Q, you mentioned strengthened front sub frame, any pics! Was the chassis modified or strengthened in anyway?

Car must be nearing completion soon, are you getting it 100% finished, turn key!  To give everyone an idea of the level of commitment and dedication especially if we have the skill set, what would be the asking price / valuation when fully complete?

It would be really interesting for you to continue with a thread once you start using this car..... most major projects like this disappear once complete, only the owner gets to experience the true car....it would be really helpful to read about once you get to use it, and enjoy it, think most end up as garage queens, maybe used once or twice a year if that!

Example, i build my first car from a bare shell, approx ten years ago, after mot, one or two silly problems, but that was it. over 10k miles later, still faultless, one major run to billing 5 years ago 700+ miles, and loads of rallies, carshows, etc. four major runs last year to manta meetings all over Ireland. 

Good luck with your remaining build, health to enjoy

Edited by brady
  • Like 2

Hi,

actually think the subframe and lower arms were seam welded but I'll check on that and advise.

it will be handed over turnkey - although I have done next to none of it myself I've been involved at every stage to get it exactly as I want it to be. The whole premise of the build is for it to br MY ultimate Manta (opinions will vary!)

commitment wise close to 2000 hours I expect completed I.e. MOTD, rolling road etc. 

As for value I never plan to sell it so that's irrelevant for me - it will have cost more than a real one but will essentially be a new car to my spec that will very much be used. Plans this year for Billing hopefully then driving holidays round the top of Scotland, through Europe doing all the passes, Italy etc over the coming years.

• Like 2

Absolutely epic:thumbuplove it:wub:nice to know it will be used aswell and not just a garage ornament so respect there.:thumbup

1 hour ago, brady said:

It would be really interesting for you to continue with a thread once you start using this car..... most major projects like this disappear once complete, only the owner gets to experience the true car....it would be really helpful to read about once you get to use it, and enjoy it, think most end up as garage queens, maybe used once or twice a year if that!

Well said brady,couldn't agree more.:thumbup

• Like 1

Oil cooling can be an issue on the RBs as they had water cooling of the oil at the original filter assembly as standard. As this car will be used and hopefully in some sunshine I went for the Driftworks Ultimate oil cooler kit which removes the water cooling and remote locates the filter.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Rear suspension now complete, Skyline R33 IRS with Driftworks fully adjustable arm kit, just the custom made Bilstein coilovers to fit. Handbrake cables in place. Fuel lines now fitted under car so that's the fuel system complete now.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kenny400 said:

Rear suspension now complete, Skyline R33 IRS with Driftworks fully adjustable arm kit, just the custom made Bilstein coilovers to fit. Handbrake cables in place. Fuel lines now fitted under car so that's the fuel system complete now.

Wow looks superb,and you would not think that was the underside of a manta,it shows the serious amount of restructuring and fabrication that's gone on.B)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok, so HOPEFULLY on the road THIS summer...... interior coming together, brakes all done, engine loom to be done then startup!

Planning to get to Market Harborough as a day visitor.......

Edited by Kenny400
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...