Thebishop

Opel Manta Radio

Hi guys my car came without a radio and was wondering will any radio fit or what's my best option or even a blanking plate etc. :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Hi If you look at parts wanted,radio/ blanking plate you can see what is fitted to my Manta Hop this helps 

To fit a modern size CD/stereo you need an extension housing as the dashboard is not deep enough for them. The original radio cassets were very shallow depth and all CD players are longer .

You could go for one of the modern radio/mp3/media players player that has no CD function, they are shallow enough to fit like the old original radios. That is what i have in mine and it hooks to iPod/iPhone or Android devices as well as having a USB port for memory sticks. Just load it with your music and leave it at that

The (original) radio in my Coupe has seen better days and I'm considering my options. I have a CD Radio (c/w 12 x disc CD boot changer) which I retained from my last Manta (1986 black GTE....86-KE-1316...is she still alive?). I have trial-fitted this CD Radio and it is indeed too 'deep' to fit correctly without the required 'cage'.

- Does anybody here have a spare radio 'cage'?

- Alternatively, where did you purchase your "modern radio/mp3/media player", mantasrme?

I went to Halfords and they have 'shallow' radios that have a USB port so that you can load music onto a USB stick and plug and play.  Also you can charge your phone from it too which is always handy.

Theh also have an aux port which can be used if necessary.

Not very expensive either.

Cheers  Jim will give a call in during the wk, I'm in two minds modern or period correct radio to keep car original?

Car builder solutions do a period looking stereo with modern inputs such as usb,etc. I don't think it's too expensive either

• Like 1

Cheers davo will take a look at them later.:thumbup

Quick Q unrelated to topic 1985 manta Berlinetta gsi or gte as I want to replace stickers

I have seen some of the new radio/ usb/card type units that look very retro with two big silver knobs on each side .they would look good in an older car but cannot remember where i saw them. Try ebay or a google search. 

Maybe it would be better to trim the rear heater box so to can fit the standart radio DIN sized

I have a Blaupunkt Bremen SQR49 the top model of 1989 so i will trim the heaterbox to have it placed correctly

Thats the type I mentioned above just couldn’t remember where I’d seen it. Yes very retro