Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET

Paul Barrett

• 3 months later...

But if a race going now to get car done for Coventry motor fest, doing my upmost to plough through what still feels like a mammoth list of jobs. 

Final bits of wiring to do, still haven’t started it up yet been dormant for some time now since deciding to require the thing!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s back in the body shop,last minute for sorting some of my mishaps hopefully will come out ok.

had a real balance with brakes. Had a leaky cylinder on the front brakes, was an ass to change out. Then I really struggled t9 get all the air out the system. Got there eventually.

been it for a longer run in it. All seems ok. Forgot how annoying the carbs are after a while and when it gets hot they don’t run too great, could with some bonnet venting but I don’t want to ruin the look. 

The c20let is definitely going in over the winter for a quieter life and it is sat there.

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 1

Not sure if you can see if properly from this pic (i can take a better one if your interested) I partitioned off the heater housing and put in a small fan from a server cabinet (link to fan) so it blows hot air out through the standard bonnet vents. I have it hooked up so it runs when the cooling fan runs or i can switch it on from the fog light switch. It works great when you are sat in traffic. I use to run twin carbs and that would run like a bag of shit when hot and sat in traffic. I hope the throttle bodies will cure that a bit but still keeping the fan. Let me know if you want some better pics of the setup as it saves messing about with bonnet vents

Andy

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

If you have the housing then its easy to do and wont effect adding a heater later on as im still running the heater in mine. Some better pics for you. Needs a good clean :-) Those little fans push out a fair amount of air aw well.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do yous get on with no heater, found it a nightmare! Hated it, so had to go for a second mod, it was on a manta b with a redtop, dissy! Adapted original heater box to accommodate dissy, had to fit internal manta vent hoses to get a direct feed to matrix, sorted, It wasnt for heat, it was to keep window from misting, 

New problem with a different manta b, too much heat going to floor, seriously its a flipflop job on hot summer days, good selling point to a lady, you will never get cold feet, maybe the matrix needs flushed, or the direction vent is astray, all i know its damn hot

Any way, no mater what i tried, i needed vented hottish air going to inside of windscreen, how do yous run a car without this, also hoe do stripped engine bays run without one? Must be a nightmare!

On 02/07/2018 at 23:06, 611 said:

Thanks. Made it so much nicer to drive when hot and in traffic :-)

I have copied your idea! 

Will be testing it out Friday on my outing down to Exeter.

can I ask where you got the new rubber seal from.

Great, let me know how it goes.

I got it from ebay and i think it was from something like a MG metro. Something like this link

I just measured the old one and had a google round and found it on eBay. Or a rummage about at the old sxcrap yard (if you have pone near you that still lets you look at cars!) and you should find something.

Andy

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET