Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET

Paul Barrett

picked this up today to replace PYC,

has been a project for a year but needs finishing, has had a cheap paint job but presentable. Has MOT etc. needs inetrior tidyupfor sure and variuos other bits, new rollbar (i have a spare) as has been cut and welded!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still have the car at my brother-in-laws. He's happy for me to work on it there as the v8 A in my workshop kinda prevents any work Bing done at home!

anyway had a good bash at a new exhaust today, all stainless twin box. The sound of the carbs is enough for me these days, so the exhaust note is quite sensible, I couldn't live with the single tear box system it had on it. 

Got it all tacked up with the mig. Now it's home for tigging up over the weekend if I'm allowed ha.

Im actually going to get a list together for this one so I can prioritise things for its first show outing on 27th March and its longest drive!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few more weeks to do on exhaust before I'm ok with my bodge up.

been collecting a few bits to sort the crude ignition setup

hopefully will make a start on that in the next few weeks, just need to sort some plug leads ford to Vauxhall, 

Got exhauat pretty much sorted today, still needs some tweaking and leaking joint will hopefully seal  a bit better once it's been out a few tiMessage for a blast. 

Picked up some ats classics for it the other week, whacked em on to see what they look like. Need the tires changing to a proper size (cam off a young lads 'slammed' polo)

made a new gearbox mount too, only have a pic of plate I machines up on the mill. It basically uses 2 bmw bobbins onto the already modified support, better than the knackered old one on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

got one seat in today and harnesses. bonus with belt mount behind the rear seats, didn't think it would have any. new steering wheel in too

keep finding so many bodges with this car, which I'm slowly picking through. it was never a bought as a minter but some of them are unreal to be honest, especially some of the wiring, quite dangerous if left

also got it running on the nodiz on a copied map from a mini with a c20xe on r1 carbs. needs rolling road session to setup properly. will have to wait until after its first outing end of the month as got quite a list of jobs to do just to get it there.

-fix throttle pedal as it came away from mount today

-make seat mount for passenger side

-fit passenger harness

-get rev counter working from nodiz (needs some resistors etc.)

-fabricate new shifter rod

-install some carpet

-install proper door pins on passenger door

-tweek exhaust still as it still blows at manifold joint arrgghh

-install new silicone hoses from retro power when they arrive (ones that have been used are shite and split and leaking

-may need new radiator as slight leak

-move battery to boot

-fit new door handles and locks as has no key for current ones

-get new tires fitted

-paint cam and bet cover and replace rocker gasket as leaks like most xe's

-oil change and coolant

- fuel leak from  filler neck (found today whilst on the forecourt :(

-find a new ignition barrel and key as can start it with any flat object that fit the key slot!

-paint all ally trims in black

-paint bumpers black

that's the main things I want out the way, lots more bits and bobs

• 2 weeks later...

List is decreasing!

will get pics up over weekend.

bit of crappy news, weston park show was deadline for gettting to a better state, but we havent had out booking sorted so its a no go for sunday, really dissapointed :(.

but im still going to aim for a good drive out on sunday so fingers crossed for some sunshine lime today

Hi Paul  yes shame about Weston Park.  did you here from Sutty?   I was really looking forward to attending for my first club outing since joining- seems the new show organisers may have cocked up!   Pity really, been putting some hours into getting YDA  ready      PS good look finding that sunshine!!

• 6 months later...

Actually been in the workshop today!!!!!

had a mild tidy up.

then got the front subframe stripped I picked up from Brian.

just need to get it blasted and painted them built up with new bushes and lowered springs! And possibly some uprated shocks. Been looking at some GAZ units a while ago, will probably go with them as have used before. 

Even managed to pull the rollbar out of the lower arms without the aid of any flames! I reckon I nearly slipped a disc though 😲

The metal is all in great shape having been covered in oil for most of its life, who says oil leaks are a PIA. 

Being a French car is there any reason why it has those brackets on the main frame in front of the engine mounts?

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 2

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET