Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET

Paul Barrett

Made a start in modifying the cheapness  evo inlet. Got the flags cut off and levelled to within a half a mill or so flat to mate to the c20xe aluminium flange I sourced. 

I have now have it half welded up but forgot to take any pics of that, just the hardest welds to get at now. Then need to turn up some injector bosses to weld in and some tabs to mount the fuel rail to...not much then lol. Happy so far. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 3

• mantaray changed the title to Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2

Getting some proper  time in the workshop at last! 

Flange all welded up.

hd to cut off the throttle body flange too as it was pissed at totally the wrong angle and it didn’t even match the throttle body. 

Checked the box and it had a spare flange that matched the throttle body, what ever.

so that got melted on the correct angle. Then I had to swap all the gubbings on the throttle so the cable pull was the other side and the flap opened the correct way. 

Fuel rail next once the correct drill bit arrives and reamer. 

Then turn up some injector bosses, once the bar stock arrives too. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

This is next too, exhaust manifold needs it flange chipping offf and flipping for a top mount turbo. 

Lots of flange action!

• Like 4

Been working on the injector bosses his afternoon.

Really forgot how much I miss using my Harrison lathe, such a nice bit of kit from when things were made properly. My piece of crap die grinder on the hand..... nearly got launched out the door, locking nuts kept undoing randomly 

The fuel rail isn’t staying have a custom one going on that still needs counter boring on the mill when I can actually get to it, have a CIH lump in the way atmo. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been fannying around with a spare cam cover  whilst I’m waiting for the block to come back to me 

As it was with the L shaped plug cover 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Well...

a great day then to end on a real sh*t note.

finally picked up the machines block and head this morning , really pleased. Is a top spec build this c20let!

works that have been carried out and parts

Bored block
Skimmed block face 
Chemical clean 
Under piston BMW oil jets 
New Core plugs 
Crank lap/polish/check balance 
Omega 86.5mm pistons 

FCP forged rods

ARP bolts and studs
Big end/main bearings 
Genuine LEH/ZLET oil pump 
Full gasket set with bonded rubber baffle plate 
Cometic head gasket 
Uprated single valve springs 
INA lifters 
INA Timing belt kit
Valeo Water pump
Seal cylinder head 
Skim head
New TTV billet flywheel and ARP bolts
6 paddle clutch (yet to buy)

Garrett gt3071r turbo

modified rams horn exhaust manifold

fuelab regualtor

an-6 fuel lines and fittings

siemens 800cc injectors

omex 600

——————

bow come the crap news. The head is buggered.

as soon as got back I cracked on with getting the block painted to prevent rusting.

then fee decided to get on with removing the exhaust studs as have a new GM set with the correct copper nuts.

well I wish I hadn’t started! All of the were an absolute pain, had to double and even triple but them. Got them all out with some heat applied too and strategic cooling of the stud. By the last one didn’t want to play ball.

snap!! Low down in to the thread hole too! 

Mom not going to post a pic of the mess I’ve made but let’s say the head has now got a hole into the oil gallery from the stud hole, I can’t believe it I’m so hacked off. Been waiting three months for this lot to come back. 

I tried drilling it, but stupid hard, cobalt drill and carbide you name it but would touch it. Tried welding nut on several times, 

move made a right mess now, wish I’d of left it and be done with it!!

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Sad 1

Ha, the pics make it look bigger honest, should be a bit of animal.

its actually an off the shelf one, I still need to cut off the flange and flip it so it top mount, it’s just a couple of studs to see if it works,  by my calcs I have 15mm clearance from the chassis rail. 

I would never want to guarantee my messing about on someone elses car 

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET

Have had a mega crlarout in the workshop today. Have been pretty brutal with getting rid of stuff get room back in there and actually be able to work on the car in the new year.

also been fannying around with a bottome end. 

Looking at a solution for ge oil pickup as itl be using a higher flowing z20let pump. But the pickup is a lot different and bigger. 

Cut up the new  baffle plate to fit the sump

• Like 1

Also an update regarding the fudged cylinder head. Had a few heads bought but all unsuitable and needing work, It can be repaired but I’ve took the plunge and ordered a Ported and polished head from Robert cox engineering that should land in the new year, built to my spec. Wasted stems recut seats etc. 

Will do this engine justice.

New starter motor here too, 

• Like 1