Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET

Paul Barrett

Bargain NOS sach clutch release for the omega box sourced. £20!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

bushes on rollbar too once correct way round had been established!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

Tackling the passenger door!

got to get it done by end of play Saturday as hopefully picking up the painted shell.

mick my metal man did a perfect job on the repair panels that I've had done, hey are spot on fit. 

• Like 2

More doors, I have had to resort to using one of better doors from the V8 project as time is against me, going on family hols for a week Monday and ian the painter want the panels tomorrow to get cracking. 

Bith doors need the wing mirror hole welding up, by once buzzed down were pitted to buggery. So just cut out and plated.

The 'decent door' still needed a repair section letting in on the bottom. Not as mint as I thought it was so I do t feel so bad about using it now!

Oh and the shell is back

couple of bit are going to need sorting but he needed out of the workshop. And I spotted some runs on the sills and missed area at the back. But the most frustrating for us both is the pi hole below one of the rear vents. Ian thought it was a screw hole for a badge but alas it is not it was a pinhole from buzzing back some rust.  He reckons it can be sorted, I hope so or its a full repainted of re quarter!  But that aside I'm very pleased with how it has turned out. Chris (mantray) will vouch how rough the original paint job was. Ian has done a sterling job of the very bad rear quarter where it had a fire in the boot.

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 7

After I mentioned to the boss  I'll probably be doing the odd track day soon in the manta she asked is it as safe in such an old car. I have been considering a roll cage for some time as the A pillars on the A are so thin and i have already had 'off road experience' in it. I've order a safety devices cage, it's stripped out already so seems daft to not to really. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 1

Some bits done, but painter is well behind now getting the rest of the panels done. Aero catches cut into bonnet, will be painted biddy colour.

been playing with the rear lighting too. 

Grills are painted too, such a huge difference sprucing them up.

badges painted up too. 

Been cracking along, 

car is back at mine, the v8 build has been shifted into the trailer and left up the farm for time being.

ive built a firewall to seal the tank In the boot for safety sake, carpeted the shelf to hide.

headlinging is in

was going to fit the rear screen by the new rubber is too long on the top section, hoepfully sort swiftly with east Kent trim.

also got all the front lights built up and in.

sug out the r28 omega box for a clean up. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, moodoo said:

Nice....Front end looks sharp! How  was fitting the headlining in the end?

Tricky, need to be patient lol

I'm going to remove stretch one area as it has

now dropped slightly drivers side has come out mint. 

Rear screen in. As advised by east Kent trim, I just cut out a section and superglued it, worked great. Still not sure why it is not the correct size? 

Have fitted the tea gas shocks and new lowering springs, but I will be cutting them, not enough lows! If they are likely to fall out on full drop I'll add it some retaining straps. 

• Like 1

Front screen now in, wasn't a bugger as much as I was expecting really. 

Dropped the last door off to painter. another week and they should all be done!

have fitted the new rear GAZ shocks and lowered springs. 

Really need to get the subframe built up now, ready for engine out and new gearbox on. As have to order a prop asap.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Long time no update. 

Motivation is back today. Over the Xmas break I built another shed to store more crap in and free up some space to work! 

mass tidy up of the workshop has been completed and selling in stuff I don’t need haven’t used for years too. 

Hve I’ve done lots haven’t mentioned but today’s progress involved fitting the GPS cheapnese speedo I bought some time ago. 

engine bay nearly there, just need to weld some brackets to a alloy washer bottle I have had lying around some years. 

• Like 3

Only managed few hours tonight as had the little for 3 days whilst the boss was off galavanting. 

I’m going to update the thread as much as I can to keep my motivation going. The list is getting smaller and not far off now in the grand scheme of the rebuild. 

I have machined the astrali steering boss to accept a snap off cheapnese boss and an OMP wheel. Quite a bit of work for this although it doesn’t look it! The astrali boss is very wide took off over 10mm from the radius drilled and threaded for some hex head bolts, made a crap job of the plastic cover piece but you can’t see that when it’s on🤫.

it’s improved the vehicle security, the wheel is further from the screen which is nice as the old Astrali I could flick my fingers up from the wheel and I’d be hitting the screen and also I can actually get out of the seat now lol... just

Bars welded in for the drivers seat too. Chris’s (manta ray) old seats from his V6 A  from may moons ago in its former guise. 

I’m going to order a six point cage too, can’t decide on silver or grey. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cranked up the tig today to get going on the manifold. The car has a system I lashed together in my rush to get it ready last year but was always going to put a decent system on. 

Retro powers waiting list is so long now for stuff as they are so good, so seeing as I have all the gear and little bit of an idea bought a tonne of bends to have a bash. I’m not back purging, naughty but can’t be arsed. 

Half way through primaries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More tig today. 

The A is so tight for space down the side of the block and tunnel. 

Im going to have to make the secondaries removable to get the manifold in. Lots of work involved in doing that now. The rest of the system should be child’s play compared to this mani. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 4

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET