Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET

Paul Barrett

Manage to sneak in the shop this afternoon

Welded up the injector bosses in the inlet finally. Then got on with matching the fuel rail blank. 

Marked up and 6mm holes drilled then counterbored to 13mm for a nice fit. 

Then drilled and threaded the ends 14x1.5 for the AN6 couplers. Just need to come up with a nice couple of brackets to hold the rail down. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

My tigging has got worse lol, not had much practice lately to keep my technique up. It’ll do. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 2

Sourced a new crank pulley bolt, nicely machined and super fast delivery but boy was it expensive (QED)

and external wastegate has landed, lobbed on to look at it and think it’s such a shame to get it dirt lol.

• Like 3

Went up the farm and did some stuff. Got the hatch running and now up sale. As I’m losing my  space up there. So it has to go.

also extracted the TKO600 from the V8 build to see where it’s at for putting into this build.

got t home and went to mate it up to the bell housing I kept hold of from the black turbi a I sold a while ago. Well it doesn’t line up as I thought the would. It’s for Borg Warner boxes type 9 etc which I thought was the same as the top being top loader bolt pattern. 

It is a shame as it was perfectly spaced for the input shaft. So I need to come up with a plan for an adapter etc. MORE WORK! 

Or I just stick with an r28 and see how long it lasts 🤔 few pics 

One bonus is the shifter just needs switching round to be even better placement than the one in the car currently, I can move the tunnel back to where it should be and use a stock centre consol again. 

Pretty apauling but that TKO is actually brand new!! Ashamed of myself for letting it get that bad. Itl clean up. I’ve checked inside and it’s all good. 

Attended the Sunday scramble at Bicester heritage centre on Sunday, 

nearly didn’t make it! 

Why I thought  I would just get in the car after laying it up in the summer and it would just go.....

charged battery in and it wouldn’t start, ok starter motor I thought, so fitted the nice new starter I have for the turbo lump and nothing, turns out no earth from block to body, the odd thing is it has never had one since I rebuilt it lol, so god knows how it’s been earthing itself lol

anyway it had a few more snaps over social media...

Also, been asked to attend the NEC in March with the OMOC!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

Attended the Sunday scramble at Bicester heritage centre on Sunday, 

nearly didn’t make it! 

Why I thought  I would just get in the car after laying it up in the summer and it would just go.....

charged battery in and it wouldn’t start, ok starter motor I thought, so fitted the nice new starter I have for the turbo lump and nothing, turns out no earth from block to body, the odd thing is it has never had one since I rebuilt it lol, so god knows how it’s been earthing itself lol

anyway it had a few more snaps over social media...

Also, been asked to attend the NEC in March with the OMOC!

Looking very nice 🙂 Gives me even more motivation to get mine on the road as soon as i can!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Vboa 2019. Nothing done the car apart from a wash and polish. 

-Best A series

-top ten award sixth place

Surprised and delighted with that! 

Such a great show this year, highly recommend if you didn’t attend you just next year!!

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Vboa 2019. Nothing done the car apart from a wash and polish. 

-Best A series

-top ten award sixth place

Surprised and delighted with that! 

Such a great show this year, highly recommend if you didn’t attend you just next year!!

Nice one, well done.

Will be there next year in my A series, but probably wont be up to the level of yours 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hopefully this is the start of my motivation to get new engine together for install! New parts 

its been a tough year to date personally but this isn’t going to stop me taking this car to the next level as I planned to. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

i'll bring mine up, that needs a paint when I've done the last few bits to get her on the road🙂

I hope to be heading back up to Northampton in the spring to get the final tune up!!

Edited by 611