Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET

Paul Barrett

It’s been a close shave but got the A ready for its first show, a busy day doing all the little bits, not got all I wanted to get done but will have a few days before MH vboa to tart a bit more. 

now just the challenge tomorrow of the long drive down. Hope it makes it smoothly!  

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheRealExile said:

It's a beauty, had my reservations about the colour but it looks amazing. Top job :thumbup

I was t sure either when I got it back, it was either this or solid white. 

But im glad. 

Its Audi Nardo grey

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a weekend! 
the A series won 3 awards from the OMOC members and a special personal award from Rab , So overwhelmed with the feedback and appreciation. Makes it all worthwhile. 
Thanks to chris Collier and Ian Hollis for all their hard work in pushing the build forward.
A great weekend with great Opel friends.

• Like 4

One thing i did notice one evening was the way the wheels caught the last of the light, being shiny they sort of glowed when the rest of the car was little more than a silhouette, it was a great effect but one I'm not sure how to capture with a camera, it would need very specific over rides of the exposure to record this amazing appearance.

It certainly is one of the best modified Mantas to appear at the OMOC / VBOA Show, proving that subtlety done well is a winning formula.

Edited by MANTAMAN

21 hours ago, MANTAMAN said:

One thing i did notice one evening was the way the wheels caught the last of the light, being shiny they sort of glowed when the rest of the car was little more than a silhouette, it was a great effect but one I'm not sure how to capture with a camera, it would need very specific over rides of the exposure to record this amazing appearance.

It certainly is one of the best modified Mantas to appear at the OMOC / VBOA Show, proving that subtlety done well is a winning formula.

That’s very kind of you ian, means a lot all the appreciation. 

Went down well again today at a local event:

gotthedrop a kinda vw/bmw/Audi moderns and old school event 

Although this was my fave, simply awesome concept and execution

• 3 weeks later...

Ask them to email copies of the pictures they took, the cameras they use are excellent, a professional photographer took pictures of my Manta in the Netherlands and the quality was far beyond anything my camera would mange.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Started tearing down the c20let today, the signs look like the engine is in good fettle. 

Seems a shame to get it bored out, but I guess no compromises.

as soon as the pistons arrive it’ll be going to the machine shop for bore/hone/decking.

im just going to have the head skimmed if needed, decile and rebuild to check it over. 

Spec-

wossner 8.5:1 pistons

H Rod’s and arp bolts

under Piston oil squirters

arp main studs

arp head studs

race bearings

Standard head with XE cams

z20let head gasket

omex 600 management

big injectors 750cc

paul barret loom

turbo I haven’t sourced yet, I can’t bring myself to spend  a grand on what I would like, so maybe some sort of holset that isn’t too laggy

with an external waste gate

home brew exhaust manifold

bastardized Mitsi evo inlet manifold to fit the head and looks pretty

It’ll be a nice strong base for firing up to 459-500hp through it. 

Bad news on the scimitar axle though. 

It had lost a few teeth and wrecked the pinion. New shims etc as wasn’t quite right inside hence the damage according to the axle man. 

but has all been repaired at great expense and picking up next week. 

It’s only certain types of men that get excited over boxes of bolts and hardened metal....

also so picked up the rebuilt scimitar axle. 

Needed quite some work, but luckily Tim at central axles Birmingham came through with the correct crown wheel and pinion.

he said it was totally trashed, Looks to have been left too low on oil at some point. 

I will be giving a lick with a wire wheel and some grey machine paint as the satin black is just on there for effect I reckon lol. 

• Like 1

• Danny D114BCW changed the title to Manta A series rebuild - Phase 2 C20 LET