History of My Manta... 'Elmsleigh of Enfield'?

Berlinetta

I purchased my 1978 Manta SR Berlinetta in July this year and have been researching it's history.

As part of doing so I wrote to the two previous owners. The first owner had the Manta for 32 years and informed me that they purchased the car as an ex-demonstrator in June 1978 from 'Elmsleigh of Enfield'. My questions are -

- Does anybody here know if Vauxhall UK would have any history/records regarding Manta's imported to the UK?

(I'm assuming that Vauxhall UK imported Manta's? I sent an email to them but received no reply to date. Perhaps I used the wrong department email?)

- Does anybody here know if 'Elmsleigh of Enfield' are still in business?

(I googled them but havent found any information to date)

Edited by Berlinetta

Hi welcome along to the forum

perhaps posting a picture might jog someones memory and lead to information about the car.

I think you are out of luck, i know Vauxhall disposed of all thier old records around the turn of the century, other clubs have asked and been told nothing has survived the 'clearout' Vauxhall heritage are the only section that you might get a response from.

I did a quick search for Vauxhall dealers in north east London and Elmsliegh did not come up, so i would presume it has either gone out of bussiness or been taken over by another dealer

Elmsleigh of Enfield became Target of Enfield in 1989. It seems they were also a Ford dealers at some point. According to Companies House the business was dissolved in 1997.

I spoke to Vauxhall Heritage last year about Opel records, they said they haven't got any. They suggested I try uwe.mertin@de.opel.com but he didn't reply to my emails. Maybe you'd have better luck. I will say that even the Glass's Check book I have doesn't have any chassis number info for Mantas from 1978-1981 so there may well be nothing available.

I have been in conversation with either Andrew Durden or Andy Body (can't remember which) at the Vauxhall Heritage Centre open day when members of the Cavalier and Chevette asked about Vauxhall records and even the Heritage center can not get information, it has all been disposed of a long time ago.

I have not tried to get Opel records ( not the car, the documents !!) but i am in the Netherlands at the OMON Concours event next weekend and if i remember i will ask them if they know how to obtain records of Opels.

Thank you for all the replies.

That is disappointing (amazing?!) that Vauxhall UK disposed of their old records?!

I've been in contact with Opel Germany (via their 'Opel Post' website) and they emailed me details of my Manta from their records.

(The only new info I have gleaned from it was the actual date of production - 6-3-78).

My Manta's UK registration was (it is now re-registered here on a cherished plate) - BLK 167S

(Prior to this it carried the personal plate - JBB 77 - from 1978 to 2010)

Would demonstrator vehicles in 1978 (in the UK) have been registered, or simply test-driven using trade plates?

(I dont have any info to date regarding it's 'demonstrator'-period registration number).

I have also submitted a request to the DVLA (incl £5 fee) and am awaiting a reply.

(I cant post a pic - not 'allowed' for some reason?)

I don't think Vauxhall UK would have had records for Opels from that period as they were run as seperate companies back then. I think Opels were imported by something called GM Vehicle Division based in London. rather than Vauxhall in Luton. Interesting you've managed to get some info from Germany, maybe I should try again.

If your car was a demonstrator it would have been registered, and probably used by a manager. Hopefully you'll get that info from DVLA.

Thanks for the info ...I didnt know about 'GM Vehicle Division'!

Were Manta's sold through Vauxhall dealerships back then (1978)?

The email I used for contacting Opel Germany is - opel.post@de.opel.com

The lady who replied to me is - Irene Nowotny (PR Assistant 1 Internal Communications & Media Bureau)

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply. The two brands had their own identity and dealer networks right up until I think the end of 1981, when the brands merged. In my home town of Lincoln the existing Vauxhall dealership, Charles Warner became Vauxhall-Opel, and the Opel dealers Bridge Motors either gave up or lost the franchise. I know they closed down around that time.

Thanks for the email contact, I'll try contacting them and see what happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

As part of my 'history search' I filled out the DVLA V888 form and sent it away (along with the £5 fee) in the hope that I would find out my Manta's original registration number, original owner, etc. However this morning I received all my forms, fee etc back in the post. Apparently the DVLA wont release such info "outside of the UK mainland".

Is there any way I can find out the orginal registration number of my Manta??

I've also been looking through the old service book and noticed early garage stamps from 'Squires Of Hertford'.

Is anybody here familar with this garage?  Is it still in existence?

A quick bit of gooooogglling and there is a Squire Furneaux garage in Welwyn Gerden City which is very close to Hertford, i would guess that Squire Furneaux is an almalgamation of two bussinesses, and due to the proximity the Squire half is likely to be the garage bussiness from Hertford.

• Like 1

Whereabouts in Ireland are you from?

I notice you said you have the car re-registered on a cherished plate, so presuming you are in the North? If you are, you should be able to get the V888 details sent to you, I have got them in the past for a few of my cars.

PS - Nice car in your profile picture!!:P

• 1 month later...

I've received a reply from the second owner of my Manta and he is of the belief that it was originally supplied by a garage called 'F C Green' of Hertford Heath.

Is this garage/name familar to anybody here as an Opel dealership back in the 70's/80's?

A google search shows a general repair/MOT Centre with that name in Hertford Heath.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...