New Opel Manta Project (Hopefully)

h0tr0dder_uk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/h0tr0dder_uk/38k%20Opel%20Manta/engine1.jpg

Engine finally in (mock up stage).  5.4 Litre supercharged, intercooled and injected V8 engine.  All Aluminium.  3 valves, 2 plugs per cylinder. (470-500bhp stock)

Edited by h0tr0dder_uk
  • Like 7

I will be using the original transmission since theyre bulletproof.  You can buy a standalone tcu from powertrain control solutions.  I'll most likely run the engine with a stand lone ecu like the haltech elite 2500.  Rear axle will most likely be an 8.8" ford axle with locker and disc brakes.  Front brakes will most likely be wilwood 4 pots.  I'm looking at adding an 8 or 10 point cage to stiffen the chassis too, but want to try n keep the car looking relatively stock (bar the wheels and big brakes).  It will all be home built (when I get time).

• 4 weeks later...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Trimmed the flange off the chassis rails for a little extra clearance and smoother look.  Haven't welded in a while so first side used a little too much filler.  The other side looks much nicer.  Next job is to remove the transmission tunnel so I can finalize the fit of the running gear.  Then its time to make mounts and fabricate a new bulkhead and trans tunnel.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine and transmission in place, leveled and squared up. Had to raise everything in order to clear the steering rack.  Will need a new to modify the prop-shaft tunnel and it will also need need a slight power bulge in the bonnet.  Also bolted on wheels to see how they'll look / fit.  Time to make some engine / transmission mounts.

• Like 2

Ah yes the low slung bonnet line of the Manta.....

Steering rack lowering or trans tunnel mods and power bulge the million dollar question when sticking a V8 in haha

I choose the steering rack option.....havent driven it yet but hopefully works out ok once licensed and i can fit some adjustable Rose Jointed Tie rod ends.

Would the Trans have fitted the tunnel if you did lower the rack? Or was it always going to be to big?

Loving this build keep the pics coming 

Edited by GTREA
  • Like 1

It would probably have fit if I hadn't had to raise the engine and trans.  I didn't want to mess with altering the steering as its too easy to screw up the geometry and get bump steer etc.  It will actually work out better raising the engine as it creates more room for headers, etc.  Also I intend to lower the rear of the car which will move the axle further up into the body.  By raising the engine and trans I will hopefully avoid any issues with the pinion angles etc.  I don't mind having a slight bulge on the bonnet :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Progress report

Finally got my newly designed engine mounts made

Should leave a lot more room for headers, steering linkage etc.  I also have the steering rack mocked up so will remove the whole subframe and finish the welding next.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

New brake discs arrived.  A little bigger than the originals

Looks better behind the wheel (these are 17s tho.  Front will be 16s, unless I can squeeze these in)

• 1 month later...

Not much done to the car as I've been too busy enjoying the sunshine :D   I did manage to get the subframe modified for the new steering rack

I also got my new budget TIG welder.  Gave it a very quick test and it turned out ok.  Next I'm gonna TIG weld up some stainless headers.

Other than that I've just been collecting parts and knowledge.  Figured out which aftermarket ecu I'm going to run and how to wire it.  Also bought a new fuel cell, aluminium radiator and front wheels.  Hopefully this will mean Ill be able to make some substantial progress over the winter (if I don't go snow boarding lol) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This engine is such a tight fit that the alternator has to be bolted on afterwards

Finally started the mega game of tetris and began the header build

• Like 3