New Opel Manta Project (Hopefully)

h0tr0dder_uk

Here it is - 1974 Opel Manta.  All original, rust free Texas car with only 38000 miles.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Its alost too good to modify....Almost :)

First modification has to be switching those ugly bumpers to the euro ones and fitment of a turbo front spoiler.

Edited by h0tr0dder_uk
  • Like 6

I sold my last one.  I got divorced so the car went into storage and I didnt see myself working on it for quite a while, so it was cheaper to sell it than to pay storage for years.  Compared to that car this one should be a simple build.  Probably build it in a similar style to the one I built in the UK - lowered, turbo spoiler, converted to 5 stud so I can fit Torq Thrusts (or similar), then replace the engine and trans with something more modern (most likely a 2.4 turbo from a pontiac solstice)

• Like 1

Rust free?

We are talking Opel here aren't we ?

despite being in California, a 'dry state' i am sure this Manta has found some way of rusting, a Manta could go rusty in the Atacama desert !!

something more modern (most likely a 2.4 turbo from a pontiac solstice)

Do tell us more, we do not have this engine in the UK, is it a solid,reliable and very 'tunable' lump ??

The 2.4 turbo ecotec can be chipped from GM to produce 300bhp and still retain warranty.  The issues are that I only know of one place that makes a stand alone ecu and as Mike said the direct injection has a pump on the back of the engine that may foul the bulkhead.  However the plus is that it was installed in the pontiac soltice in a front engine rwd layout.  This will be my preferred option but we will see if it s doable.

I had a bunch of pics from the guy that owns this car and the chassis rails, floor pans, sills etc are mint.  Bonus of it living its entire life in Texas.  I was going to use my savings for a down payment on an apartment but this oppotunity was too good to pass up.

Nice too see you back :) Your cars have looked very nice in the past and I'm sure this one will too. I never realised they sold Mantas badged as mantas over there, only as Buick 1900s etc. You can use those bumpers to bolt to the garage wall as ..er bumpers :0

Tony

This is kinda the way I want it to look (photoshopper pic of my old manta) - 17" Torq Thrust style wheels (hard part is getting these in correct offset), lengthened g/te front spoiler and a good lowering.  For this one I'll be keeping the original grill and headlamps though.

manta.jpg

• Like 1

Those engines look interesting, in Europe we have the Ecotech in various forms, from very small right upto the largest 2.2L some with Turbo's but we don't get the 2.4L.

If you took off all the standard induction system and run throatle bodies you would able to use this aftermarket ECU -

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/

Finally got the car and gave it a quick once over.  First thing I noticed was the brakes...or lack of them.  Turns out there's no fluid in the master cylinder!! :o

Secondly - bodywork has a few more tiny dings than I expected, but nothing that can't be knocked out with a hammer and dolly.

Third - the rest of the car looks absolutely rust free, except for....wait for it.....a hole by the battery lol.  This should be an easy fix.

• Like 3

IMGP1239.jpg

IMGP1238.jpg

Here are pics of the battery tray.  The actual tray is solid.  Its the inner wing that has rusted through.  Mainly due to someone fitting an oversized battery longtudinally that sat on the fender and most likely dripped acid over the years.  Should be an easy fix.

As you can see from the rest of the pics this car is solid :)

IMGP1248.jpg

IMGP1244.jpg

IMGP1237.jpg

IMGP1236.jpg

IMGP1235.jpg

IMGP1234.jpg

IMGP1231.jpg

IMGP1230.jpg

IMGP1229.jpg

IMGP1228.jpg

IMGP1226.jpg

IMGP1221.jpg

IMGP1219.jpg

IMGP1217.jpg

IMGP1215.jpg

IMGP1214.jpg

IMGP1212.jpg

IMGP1209.jpg

IMGP1208.jpg

Edited by h0tr0dder_uk
  • Like 1

Not sure about the starter solenoid.  There seem to be a lot of extra wires n crap that have been added to the engine bay.  I'll be removing a lot of that clutter asap.  For me the biggest thiing is rust free chassis rails and sills.

I'll be removing the a/c unit from this car too.  If anyone wants it message me