'78 Cavalier Coupe

Aidan Johnston

It's driving, got me over 100 miles to the ferry when I picked it up, but it does need a lot of work before I'm happy.

I'm going to keep it looking close to original but there are some bits that need fixed and replaced so I think a few wee upgrades might be in order.

The plan is to pull it completely apart and sort out any rust issues and give it a full respray. I'm thinking of changing the colour as I'm not too fussed on the shade of red. If I do I'll likely keep it an original Manta / Cavalier colour. Quite like the orange the early B series came in so that's an option.

The engine in it is a 2.0 so not the original. I want to put a hot cam in, bit of head work and twin side draft carbs.

Interior will get a good tidy up. Carpets replaced and either replace the seats with buckets seats like the Cobra Classic RS or maybe see if I can do something with the seats that are in it at the minute. They don't have headrests so I don't think they are original anyway, I'd feel a lot safer doing track days with headrests in place.

Might take quite some time to get it all finished but I'm in no rush.

Very nice, I quite like the colour, I bet a T-Cut & polish & that colour will look superb.

Remember though, you have a Cavalier not Manta so please don't Manta it: slot grill, GTE airdams etc, your Vauxhall badged version of the Manta is a rare beast in comparison to the common as muck Opel version...... :P  :P

Ha, bet that gets a response.... fishing line out, waiting for the float to dip.. 

"what the Hell, you have side skirts", "I know but I was young & easily lead" :ph34r:

Good luck & don't weep too much when you take the carpets out.

• Like 1

It's driving, got me over 100 miles to the ferry when I picked it up, but it does need a lot of work before I'm happy.

I'm going to keep it looking close to original but there are some bits that need fixed and replaced so I think a few wee upgrades might be in order.

The engine in it is a 2.0 so not the original. I want to put a hot cam in, bit of head work and twin side draft carbs.

Interior will get a good tidy up. Carpets replaced and either replace the seats with buckets seats like the Cobra Classic RS or maybe see if I can do something with the seats that are in it at the minute. They don't have headrests so I don't think they are original anyway, I'd feel a lot safer doing track days with headrests in place.

The seats on Cav coupes never came with headrests i think although late model Sports hatches did.

That car is in overall very good nick & the seats seem very good.

I would try & keep it looking broadly original ( i like the red colour) but with some performance mods & maybe a 5 speed conversion.

Cav coupes are rare cars now 

Definitely needs a paint, looks ok from a distance but up close its a bit of a mess. 

I had originally thought about going down the manta route but I think I'm going to keep it as it is. I'll maybe try polishing up the red to see what it looks like with a bit of a shine.

Didn't realise the cavalier came without the headrests (thought I'd read that they did) Maybe they are the originals. To be fair, they really aren't in bad nick. Would feel a lot safer with the headrests tho. It feels like the holes are already there so might just be a case of finding a pair and slotting them in.

I dont think  Id go for a 5 speed conversion. I love the 4 speed box, feels proper old school.  

I'm still looking through different cars on here to see what can be done.

Out if curiosity, how much are the Kent OP234 cams and where can you get them from?

Edited by Aidan Johnston

Nope! They did a few right at the end of the coupe run with the 2.0S in, yours being on an S plate would fall into that. Another little bit that makes it a rare car :)

I think the guy I bought it off said he'd changed the engine but I'm not 100%.

I'll have a look at the V5 when I get home

Never catch me modding an original cavalier coupe:)

42C38D58-A36F-4A90-834B-5964C9382AC0_zps

My car was originally red like yours many many moons ago

Looks like some amount of work gone in there!! Seriously jealous of your garage, mine's a pain in the hoop to work in

I don't believe that Jonno. ie  "I'm not 100%" :o

Guess I walked in to that one  :lol:

Edited by Aidan Johnston

Jonno, if you decide to put headrests on the seats, and you say that you think the holes are there only cut the cloth, well I'm almost sure that  I have the plastic type of inserts that go through the cloth into the holes, I saw them in the garage last year, so they must be there somewhere, if youdecide you want them let me know, I'll donate them to the cause!!

Jonno, if you decide to put headrests on the seats, and you say that you think the holes are there only cut the cloth, well I'm almost sure that  I have the plastic type of inserts that go through the cloth into the holes, I saw them in the garage last year, so they must be there somewhere, if youdecide you want them let me know, I'll donate them to the cause!!

Thanks Julian, really appreciate that. I'll have a look at the seats over the next week or two and let you know

Very nice indeed..... I too have concerns about not having headrests in my cavy coupe... never thought to look to see if they have the fittings under the cloth.. will look tomorrow...  I really didnt think that these coupes came with the 2ltr engine.. I'm sure they were all 1.9??

I just had a feel through the material and it felt like there were holes there, It's quite possible there is more to it than just making a hole but even then it might not be too big a job. 

Can someone tell me, did these cars come with rear seatbelts?

I just had a feel through the material and it felt like there were holes there, It's quite possible there is more to it than just making a hole but even then it might not be too big a job. 

Can someone tell me, did these cars come with rear seatbelts?

No never came with rear belts.

I believe it became compulsory for manufactures to fit rear belts during 1986 so UK "D" reg on cars will have them also some "C" reg cars.

Here is the interior of my Manta which is the same year as your Cav this is what your car would look like with headrests.

20140111_131116.jpg

Edited by Rapierdave

They didn't come with rear belts, but the mounting points will be there to fit some. You could either get some from a late model manta, or aftermarket companies such as Securon will have something suitable.

Cheers mate, just wanted to be sure. Don't think many people will be using the back seats!! Your interior looks immaculate mate

No never came with rear belts.

I believe it became compulsory for manufactures to fit rear belts during 1986 so UK "D" reg on cars will have them also some "C" reg cars.

Here is the interior of my Manta which is the same year as your Cav this is what your car would look like with headrests.

20140111_131116.jpg