Gte Brake Servo Upgrade

i2000

hi,just wondering if there is any other servo that will fit the manta and still use the original master cylinder,my servo works fine while moving/deaccelerating but at idle it doesnt seem to work at all,i fitted a good one way valve,the right way round and still the same,the master cylinder is new so would like to use it,it may have a vacuum leak somewhere,thanks.

i took mine off on saturday it looked clean inside but then i found a build up of rust under the seal for the vacuum pipe i cleaned that up and lubricated the moving parts and now it seems a lot better

• 3 years later...

Old post but I have done rear disc conversation and front brake upgrade cosworth discs with the calibra turbo calipers.  Question is while I am at it is there a brake servo upgrade that has been tried and tested now that does not cost the earth? 

Hi,not 100% sure what servo from other cars would fit .the diameter of the existing unit takes it quite close to the inner wing anyway so i think one from a carlton or even bigger from a senator would be too big. They do have a similar 4 bolt fixing and if you get one with the cylinder on it too at least you know it is designed for a all disc set up. Im sure someone else will know if any other ones will fit. 

Mine had a similar problem a while back and actually had rusted into a small hole on the bottom edge.i noticed a constant hissing from the servo from inside the car.when it was removed all was vidible to see.the servo should idealy hold vacuum for a while when engine is switched off.if it doesnt then theres a leak somewhere. The one way valves are generally fairly reliable but the hoses are not. They get brittle and break internally .other than air leaks on the pipe and inlet grommet you can get air leaks where the master cylinder bolts on too. Obviously the units car fail internally as well on the diapragm or internal valves but mine failed on a hole and it was an original from 1976

• Thanks 1

I have the same standard servo as before and I have the rear disc conversion and Astra GTE front vented setup. Brakes felt alright when using but last on the road in 2014 so can't give an update yet of reliability.

• Thanks 1

While there may be cheaper alternatives to Past Parts, they refurbed mine for the Manta A a couple of years back, along with the master cylinder.  After 40 odd years of use, both were still working (no leaks or serious corrosion) but not much boost.  New valves and diaphram has transformed it - and it looks like new too: money well spent, in my book.

• Thanks 1