My '82 Sr Berlinetta Coupe

spiney_norman

Well, been a long time since I had a project thread on here! I've just bought stradacab's black SRB coupe, so thought I'd better start a thread on here to show the progress (as long as the rain stops at some point this summer).

20120617_104915.jpg

20120617_104853.jpg

20120617_104841.jpg

It looks to be in pretty good shape generally, it's a non-sunroof which has probably saved it. It runs (badly) and drives, so I'm hoping it won't need too much to get it through a test and smoke it round over the summer. Might even get it to Billing if my orange Cavalier sells by then.

First job is going to be a full service and fiddle with the carb to get it running right, then swap some tyres over as the ones that are on there are old and cracked. Further down the line it'll need replacement front wings, and the seats sorted out - the foam's gone soft on the driver's seat, luckily I've got a set of Recaros I can fit in the meantime to keep it driveable til I can sort the originals out.

Think it's going to need a new clutch, the pedal was very high when I drove it onto my trailer. Oh well, good excuse to fit the 5 speed box out of my Cav coupe :)

Watch this space!

Well, unfortunately I don't think she'll be coming to Billing this year, but that at least gives me a chance to bring the orange Cavalier instead.

Got a couple of little jobs done today. Never seen a washer bottle do this before...

20120625_150236.jpg

Swapped for a spare I happened to have lying around. See, I knew all these parts would come in useful some day!

Stripped and cleaned the accelerator linkage as well, so I can use the pedal without it sticking open and revving it's balls off now. Chucked a load of carb cleaner through it, and I've got to say it's running pretty nicely except the auto-choke doesn't seem to be going off properly. Think the carb needs a proper strip down and clean, new gaskets etc.

Discovered that a seized heater fan was causing some weird dashboard issues, like low oil pressure readings and a dodgy rev counter when I flicked the switch. Disconnected the heater fan for now, just need to find another one that isn't seized solid.

• 2 years later...

On Saturday I was out on the drive swapping an air con pump on my old man's Range Rover when a scrap wagon pulled up opposite my place to take the remains of a Peugeot 206 from a neighbour. This wagon already had a 306 on the back, which I looked at and thought "Ahh, looks exactly like the one I sold 18 months ago."

When the scrap guy lifted this 306 to shuffle it around and make space, he revealed the number plate. It looked exactly like my old one because it was my old one.

Anyway, I'm taking that as a sign so when this car popped up for sale again on the FB group I had to have it back really, didn't I? Didn't I? Guys?

Have a quick reminder of the way she looked when I sold her, and I'll chuck some fresh pictures on when I've collected her in a couple of weeks' time.

20121106_144214.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

11695476_10152930362032747_5616038394124

11202114_10152930362092747_8928649463227

Happy to say the Range Rover performed faultlessly in spite of all its recent issues, and NMO is now back on my drive. It won't get touched until the hatch is finished but it looks like someone's done a lot of welding since I sold it, hopefully it won't take too much to go back together.

• 5 months later...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Today I did something I've never done before, and dropped a car off at a bodyshop for something other than MOT welding. There's a spot just below the rear quarterlight, the back end of one sill and a rear wheel arch being tidied up this week. Once it comes back I can start putting her back together.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I haven't updated this for ages because it's still in the body shop! What started as a few smallish bits rapidly turned into much more... of course :rolleyes:

Both arches, lower rear quarters and the back ends of both sills were completely rotten. Now looking much better, all rot cut out and replaced with new steel, should be painted and back with me by the end of the week with any luck.

Edited by spiney_norman
  • Like 1

My 400 rep started off as an SRB the same as this, although there wasn't many original parts left on it before I started. If there is anything you may need, give me a shout.

Be nice to see one saved in original trim!

Thanks for the offer, she's reasonably complete I think but I'm sure there'll be little bits and bobs missing as I start the rebuild process. I've sourced most of the interior bits in the correct colour after a previous owner chucked the original lot in a skip but anything in gold velour may be of interest to me!

Slowly slowly catchy monkey... driver's side inner wing had been stripped to bare metal previously, so it's had a good wire brush, lots of rust killer, red oxide and underseal. Other side wasn't so bad as it hadn't been stripped, so it's still in red oxide and will get undersealed during the week. 

Just spent an hour or so getting the rear quarter window hinges sorted, using the updated ones from Reprotec with new rubbers in the B pillar. Seem to be pretty well stuck on with JB Weld so I'll let it cure properly then shove them back in too.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Can't see it making Billing this year, just got underneath to swap a disintegrated exhaust front section and found both chassis rails full of rot as well. 

Wonder how quickly I can get the Cav saloon running? That reminds me, must start a thread on here for that one...