Manta 400 Project.

opelscott22

Yeah I have been on to Revolution actually! Seems your the font of all knowledge on these matters...Id love to get my hands on some cloth so put my name down if you decide to go for another batch.

Dave, yeah Im getting into this now, not too many Phase 1 reps going around cant wait to get to the good bits of the build!

Scott.

If you need some inspiration, look up a member on here called PassMeTheGun. Haven't seen him post for a long time, but he had a gorgeous 400 replica with a 2 slot nose.

Good work going on here though, looks like you've got a pretty solid shell to start with. I really need to teach myself to weld and make a spit, my coupe's gonna need a lot of attention underneath by the looks of it!

keep the two slot, looks better, and everyone knows they are (better) car than the later. why change it!

good to see another B, see its been ziebarted (chassis protected), plugs in door well, too

yours looks a good one, enjoy the build

heres mine both build about five yrs ago now!

P1010353.jpg

oh and the other both 78, shells

IMG_2909.jpg

Edited by brady

Got the rear axle off and the shell on to the spit today. I didnt take any pics of how I got it up there on my own because it was uber dangerous.

If the HSE wandered in Id probably be in jail or something... :rolleyes:

Should make the underneath jobs a bit easier to get right!

Scott

IMG_0150.jpg

DSCF0366.jpg

DSCF0365.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been busy with this the last wee while, got bored of scraping the underseal off so Ive started doing repairs as I go. Anything that looks rusty gets chopped out.

Im planning to get rid of all the MOT patches its had over the years and replace them with butt jointed repair sections as I go.

The chassis legs are my biggest job though, Ive started the passenger side, the strengthener is in. just to build the outer cover now, Ill do my best to make it neat.

Oh, and yes, I did use the crossmember to make sure the hole is in the right place!!

Scott

DSCF0367.jpg

DSCF0368.jpg

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

DSCF0377.jpg

DSCF0382.jpg

DSCF0381.jpg

DSCF0380.jpg

Yeah I know what you mean, Ive got a pair of new jacking points to go on and Ive been trial fitting to make sure its right! The other side is going to be more difficult as theres more rot to deal with and theres the throttle pedal mount... your right though, its a really difficult shape to keep looking neat.

Aggressor, its going to be white, a rep of the white phase 1 from the start of this thread.

Scott.

Guess it wont be getting replaced then...Ive been doing little bits when I can, progress is progress!! Ive made the outer cover for the chassis leg, all blended in and ready for a bit of primer.

Seems to take ages to make all these bits, at this rate it will take three years just to get on to bodywork!!

Scott

DSCF0383.jpg

DSCF0384.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

looking good,amazing what u thinks solid,then when u get in there,more cutting out

at least u know its then solid,u filling them sills with wax[after welding]

when replacing sills on my motor,spraying with zinc 1st before fixing

anything to help

u reckon on road by summer ,if all goes well

colin

• Like 1

Hi Colin, I dont think there is a manta anywhere in the world that doesn't have rust, even bits that look good, once the underseal comes off the brown death appears!

Ive been using the upol weld thru zinc which seems the be really good. It dries quickly too which is a real bonus!

Ive got 3 gallons of military spec cavity wax from my RAF days which Ill use on this, dont really want to see it get rough again.

I should be good for next summer, might even make Billing if Im welcome going by the 400 rep comments on here of late??

Ill keep plodding away with the welding for now, keeps me out of trouble!

Scott.