Manta 400 Project.

opelscott22

Time to start a thread for my new project! :D

Plans are to build a 400 rep, Ive got a fresh XE with a set of Jenveys to go in. Ive sourced most of the bits I need but Im sure there will be plenty more I will need!

Ive started stripping the car, if anyone needs any 1900 CIH bits give me a shout!

Scott.

IMG_0354.jpg

DSCF0322.jpg

DSCF0327.jpg

Colin, its ordered, not here yet though...

Does anyone know if I can get Blitz cloth to do some seats?

I got mine through Retro Power, might be worth asking if they have any left. just have a look at Curts Ascona they rebuilt :thumbup

Are you keeping it a 2 slot nose, I think that would look cool B)

Edited by robah

Looking forward to see the progress :)

You should however consider doing a shortened 24V head for the engine if you know someone with a good machineshop ? That would be as close to a "real" 400 engine you can get, and will give you massive outputs depending on the block used. They make over 300bhp when bored to 2,5 liters (97mm pistons and 2,4 crank)

Montza, thats maybe a bit more work than I need just now, Ill keep it as simple as I can for now.

Robah, Im keeping the 2 slot nose, I think its a bit cleaner. Ive got a 4 slot nose I can use if I decide to change it.

Ive had a few more hours on the car over the weekend. Ive had an EPIC battle with the door hinge pins, there was only ever going to be winner. :lol:

Ive stripped more out the car and managed to crack the windscreen removing it, its cool though, I have a spare!

Through the week I want to get the motor out and remove the rest of the wiring. Havent found any major rot yet, lots of previous repairs that will need investigation though.

I cant wait for my kit to turn up so I can tape it to the car, sit in it and make broom broom noises...

DSCF0332.jpg

DSCF0331.jpg

Hi Colin, I have one of the sealey pin removal tools. Its served me well over the years. The weight of the manta doors helps the pins wear so there is a nice worn step to fight against.

My kits going in the post. Martin has a courier he prefers to use so Ill see what condition its in when it arrives!

Scott

yeah those shortened 24v heads are a handfull wink.gif

But great job stripping the car down, and love that you intend to keep the 2 slot front on the car, the very first 400 cars also had 2 slot front end and the big old glass headlights as well cool.gif

B4005a.jpg

One hell of a beauty cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Shonkyopels, your more than welcome to come and collect the engine, free of course. Id rather see it get used than weighed in...

Montza, thanks very much for posting that pic, thats exactly the look Im going for. I didnt know the 400 ever had a 2 slot nose. Might even keep the plain bonnet, looks so clean!

That pic has given me some great enthusiasm, does anyone have a Hi Res copy? I could do with putting that in my garage.

Scott.

Tv screen headlights laugh.gif

Yeah, the very first i400 cars where made in 1981 and therefore they where pre facelift. Also the road versions as the one on the pic had the clean hood as well.

This is the best foto i can find 1024x768 and show the exact same car from another angle. And by the way notice the headlight wipers :) Those are VERY rare today but was considered luxury car accessorie back in the day thumbsup.gif Would be cool to find a set of those. I have heard that Audi 100 front light wipers can be made to fit ?

opel-manta-400-2851064880628879745.jpg

The headlamp wipers work only when the headlamps are switched on, dip beam, then when you wash the windscreen the headlamp wash wipe will work.

Andy

Exactly right, also the ones with headlight washers turn on when the sprinkler is activated for the windscreen thumbsup.gif