Rust Removal - Prevention

mantapaperman

hi.

any advise on beating the dreaded tin worm would be appreciated. been underneath with the grinder with a wire wheel on removing the odd scab or three then tried some ''kurust''. however few weeks later you can just see some rust spots coming thru again?

whats the best way? etch primer was another thought..i want to coat the whole unerside with waxoyl or similar when finished what do you guys recomend..thanks

I've tried a few rust 'killers' and still say the only way to get all the rust out is to shot/sand blast it clean.

They do say jenolite is probably one of the better products but from experience I would say kurust is shite.

Cheers, Peter.

I agree with biffy, that kurust is a load of shit I used it a while back and i primed it afterwards and the rust still came back so I resorted back to the good old red oxide primer and its worked well every time. Ray :thumbup

Try this stuff if you can find it. http://www.zinga-uk.com/

had the underneath of mine bead blasted and painted in this about 7 years ago and although its been sat in the garage since then! some of the bits i had cleaned up and left bare did not even get surface rust on them and that was sat in a non heated garage like that for years. its suppose to protect the metal even if you scratch an area back to the metal :-)

i got mine done by a company that did marine stuff.

Andy

Agreed with the above, if the rust isn't completely removed it'll come back, shot blasting is the best but you need to strip the car quite a lot for that, other than that a wire cup brush is the only way.

This won't get rid of all the rust though, for that you need an acid base cleaner like some of those mentioned to clean the unseen rust in the surface pin holes and seems and so on.

Plenty mentioned above, I just use a bog standard one from B&Q - "No Nonsense metal clenaer restorer" Its about 9quid for a gallon and works well. Don't forget to wash it off with clean water before painting though.

After that, the best paint you can afford - I've found epoxymastic to give excellent results (expensive though), good old red lead is still a favourite and works fine to provided the surface is well prepped.

deox is definately the best option.either as gel or a dip solution.it actually REMOVES RUST rather than try to convert it.to anyone who hasnt tried any i highly reccomend it.unbeleivable stuff. toppped of with epoxy mastic is the icing on the cake. just wish id discovered it years ago !

bloody nora!! this de-ox stuff is amazing..slapped abit on some rust last night, washed of with water and an old brush this mornin and hey presto bare steel !!!!!!!!!!!!! its obviously pitted but i cant believe how its done it..it will be awkward on hard to reach areas but it is an amazing product highly recomended..:thumbup

bloody nora!! this de-ox stuff is amazing..slapped abit on some rust last night, washed of with water and an old brush this mornin and hey presto bare steel !!!!!!!!!!!!! its obviously pitted but i cant believe how its done it..it will be awkward on hard to reach areas but it is an amazing product highly recomended..:thumbup

just wait till you soak something in a deox c bath. !!!!

Did you use the gel or liquid ?? Would i be right in saying that the gel would be easier to manage as wouldn't 'run' as much...

And where did you buy it sir..????

Cheers

Did you use the gel or liquid ?? Would i be right in saying that the gel would be easier to manage as wouldn't 'run' as much...

And where did you buy it sir..????

Cheers

Defo gel for the panels, as you say doesn't run. Used the gel and the deox-c solution when doing a landy for my bro, awesome stuff. The parts come out looking like they have been shot blasted, not a trace of rust.

To order just go to Bilt Hamber website and order straight from them. The cavity wax stuff is really good as well, comes in a big aerosol so no compressers needed. Emptied 3 of them into the landy chassis and it crept through every seam. I can't recommend this stuff enough.

Chris

The gel is excellent for body panels, seriously though save yourself a fortune, take a run down to B&Q and get the No Nonsense metal cleaner if you want a solution for bathing things, it does exactly the same job at a fraction of the price.

Cheers for the tip.... though would the B & Q metal cleaner still do if you couldn't bath the parts and just wanted to take say a rust spot out of the corner of a wing, bonnett or door which obviously can't be bathed when its still attached to the car?????