Manta Pics,exc Coupe E540Vbg

steve price

have to agree. normal 2k definate advantage over water based if you can find a place that can get it & use it..just had my cav painted & several bits of other cars recently & found the water based even though it uses a 2k laquer is very soft.scratches very easily .you can rub your nail over it & you have a scratch.also lifts very easily from edges. garage told me it was to do with the solids content of the laquer. problem is they woudlnt use normal 2k because they said it has to be water based stuff nowadays. talk about technology going backward.

Yep, 2K is by far a better finish, never had any problems with a soft laquer?, the guys round here in North Wales do use water base but they do not thin out as it take many coat's to achive a good finish, and what is the point of an enviromentally good product when you stick 2K on top?

We can still get hold of 2K quiet readly here which is a bounus.

I know you can get hold of a scratch proof coating (2K) top coat, never used it myself but both PPG and Sikins do them.

What ever happened to good old Celle paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chuck it on sand it down great job!!!

Good luck with the final finish

Disco

Paints4u and jawel sell cellulose and 2k.

I thought it was the 2k lacquer that was full of isocyanates rather than the base coat. I got scared off 2k and used cellulose! (just as well give the balls up I made of it!)

Hi,

It is the Lacquer that has the nasty stuff in, the activator I belive has the nasty stuff in?

There has been a lot of bad press about 2k I know it is not good for you, but as long as you have a good airfed mask (full face) and inline filters you will be ok. Also remember it can enter through your eyes and into the blood stream, so when you pop back into your garage to have a look through the mist don't open your eyes!!!! lol just cross your fingers!!

That said Cellulose is a lot simpler to work with, I have used synthetic (coach paints) in the past a little tricky needs a lot of heat but again well worth the final finish very high gloss.

HMG also do a scratch resistant top coat. (2K).

Disco

• 1 month later...

yes seen that ad on wikki,dont think the d/head knew the miles but they are 79k with full dealer history lookers gbe birkenhead liverpool up to 78k last stamp in or around 1999 as thats the last time it was taxed,as the 1 and only owner mr pritchard passed away and his wife locked it in the garage until those wide boys got involved in selling it on the wikki and e bay

steve

• 2 weeks later...

adie

std m8,except for the wrap around irmscher rear bumper,wheels to be re-furbed to as near original spec,interior std,original period radio,engine std 2.0 cih sweet as a nut except for oil leak thinking thats from the rear crank seal,will live with that keep pluggin on with yours it`l be worth it in the long run :thumbup

gaz

getting nearer to the finish line on this coupe was a bit of a mutt but had potential? its a long ways off some of the guys on here but it will be ok,never a patch on the white one though!

still cruising around in yours or have you mothballed it for the winter

more pics soon

upwards and onwards as you say gaz

all the best

merry xmas 2 everyone @ omoc :thumbup

steve

Hi Steve, not seen my car for 5 weeks now :unsure: I walk passed it everyday. Hoping to get home to take it for a spin today now that the snow has all gone :D

Thank god for the car cover I bought ! ! ! Well worth it's weight in gold seeing as though I have no garage!

All the best mate, Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

All the best to you too steve mate. Bumpers and lights make a huge difference! Spit and polish and some black stuff on the underside and it'll be much sweeter than my ride. Not touched my car at all really. New paint really needed at some point which I will do. Keep plugging on mate!

Gaz

• 4 weeks later...

template would be appreciated just recieved the hinges from another omoc member [jonmantagte]thanx m8

need to get on with it as ive been slacking with the weather etc and of course man flu

thanx 2 jon

gaz will pm you my add and sort somethin out

all the best

steve

• 2 weeks later...

SDC11667.jpgSDC11666.jpgupdate

refurbed gutter trims,refitted n/s @ o/s 1/4 glass,refurbed n/s door handle and window to glass weather strip,refitted boot lid at last thanx to jonmante gte for the hinges and kevin abbott for the advice with the torsion bar?spoilers only for mock up pics onlySDC11665.jpgSDC11664.jpgSDC11668.jpg

fitted n/s door seal

slow progress but will get there in the end

steve

Edited by steve price