My Gte Coupe (Barn Find)

GMC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The various door trim are now fitted as the door & window seals etc

292qrmt.jpg

2agjo5u.jpg

5ygv2d.jpg

When fitting my sunroof I couldn't find the front seal, but it's turned up now. Need to remove the sunroof again to fit it....bugger!!

28wlag4.jpg

I decided to get the fuel system up & running, but after sitting around for years the fuel pump was seized. With a new pump now fitted I joined the the 'flow & return' pipes in the engine bay and circulated the fuel around the system. All I need now is the engine fitted!! :rolleyes:

jrd3eg.jpg

Next, I'll refit the door mirrors, and start assembing the interior.

Edited by GMC

Great read, looks like it's really come on, can't wait to see this car in the flesh at Billing next year! Top work, I want a white one again now. When I had a white one I wanted a Monaco blue one!!!!!!

Top work G :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the door mirror is fitted :thumbup

24uynia.jpg

Picked myself up a passenger mirror too

24xjoe1.jpg

And then we started the interior, and boy was it bad!!!! It took 6 tins of upholstery cleaner and a jetwash!! Thanks again Stu for your help

auz3oy.jpg

Have a look at this...........half cleaned seat. The muck is 20 years of mould & grime

333y2pj.jpg

and another........

286veyc.jpg

Unfortunately the drivers seat is knackered. It's not worn, the previous owner sat on the cat with oily overalls. Years of impregnated oil appears to have rotted the material.

I'm on the look out for another seat if anyone has one they are wishing to sell??

2h3v1jr.jpg

Edited by GMC

Here's the finished product.........they are like new!!

xbms5.jpg

Next job was the interior.......

flhdox.jpg

11vtnvc.jpg

2mywaqc.jpg

55gzt4.jpg

204ms8.jpg

Next task is to prepare the engine for lifting into position, then deal with the wiring. The wiring is my speciality, so looking forward to that!!

Edited by GMC

• 2 weeks later...

I always check this project out when there are new posts on it...

Car is looking storming, Shame about the Recaro's side bolster, but the Daytona check Recaro's were bastards for disentegrating at the best of times, I remember back in the early nineties they were mostly stuffed back then. Often wished I had room to have stored the pair of pretty decent ones I had before I moved house a few years ago, but at the time I couldn't even give them away.

Personally I love the look of the clean lines of the Manta with no Decals on, and always thought that Opel put a real mish mash of colours of the decals on the Manta's, I mean does red really go with Monaco blue :blink:

Also as per Mickappy, i had forgot just how close the brake bias valve was to the Exhaust, I moved mine tight to the inner wing and also used exhaust wrap due to the heat from the exhaust being close to this item.

Only criticism I would make is..... I would have fitted the gearbox to the engine and fitted into place in one go, reason for saying that is...... I've "ONCE" fitted one from beneath the car, and would never ever ever do it again.

cracking job m8,as said before white is the bollocks

what colour decals are you going to use,black or cherry red/burgundy red even

smart as f--k anyway :thumbup

steve

Thanks Steve.Going for the black decals.....got them waiting to be fitted!!

Very nice work here.

Did you plug the oil way in the end of the exhaust cam when you removed the original dizzy?

Sure did!! I tapped in a metal plug covered in chemical metal. Hopefullt it'll do the job!

I always check this project out when there are new posts on it...

Car is looking storming, Shame about the Recaro's side bolster, but the Daytona check Recaro's were bastards for disentegrating at the best of times, I remember back in the early nineties they were mostly stuffed back then. Often wished I had room to have stored the pair of pretty decent ones I had before I moved house a few years ago, but at the time I couldn't even give them away.

Yeh, bit of a bugger!! Will manage to pic one up somewhere I hope

Personally I love the look of the clean lines of the Manta with no Decals on, and always thought that Opel put a real mish mash of colours of the decals on the Manta's, I mean does red really go with Monaco blue :blink:

Also as per Mickappy, i had forgot just how close the brake bias valve was to the Exhaust, I moved mine tight to the inner wing and also used exhaust wrap due to the heat from the exhaust being close to this item.

Good point thanks. If it clears I'll fit exhaust wrap if not I'll move it

Only criticism I would make is..... I would have fitted the gearbox to the engine and fitted into place in one go, reason for saying that is...... I've "ONCE" fitted one from beneath the car, and would never ever ever do it again.

There's a reason for this :rolleyes:........having completely rebuild the engine, including have to re-seal the two sections at the rear of the engine block, I'm wanting to make sure there is no oil leaks, so I'll be running the engine for a while to satisfy myself all is sealed then fit the box last. Yes, I bit of a bugger but worth the effort I reckon.

Edited by GMC

Of course it does Clive, I reckon you're the only person on the planet who doesn't think they don't go together!!! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Having previously decided I didn't want to do away with the heater, and the donor engine has a distributor (not a coil pack), I've converted the standard XE distributor to run in the 1.8 side mount housing. This involved removing the pulley wheel from the 1.8 dizzy, machining a packing bush and re-installing the 1.8 pulley wheel onto the XE dizzy. Physically, the XE dizzy casing is the same size as the 1.8, the fixing bolts are also in identical locations, so it fits straight on

To be honest, with the correct equipment it's not a difficult conversion. Here's a few pictures of the finished product..........

2wp2ygy.jpg

vmrh4y.jpg

and here it is fitted......

nx6qc.jpg

Setting up the timing was fairley straight forward too. I lined up the crank & cam timing marks, at this point the ignition timing should be firing on No1 cylinder. The make sure I got this 100% accurate, I drilled a hole in the top of an old dizzy cap and lined up the rotor arm with No1 on the dizzy cap......as simple as that. (see below)

2wgvwxu.jpg

I then fitted the belt and marked a new Ignition timing TDC

15g7yux.jpg

To allow precise timing adjustment, I've also slotted the dizzy mounting holes, this allow approx 10 degree advance/retard adjustment.

Hopefully it will all work, I don't see any reason why it won't.

Having previously decided I didn't want to do away with the heater, and the donor engine has a distributor (not a coil pack), I've converted the standard XE distributor to run in the 1.8 side mount housing. This involved removing the pulley wheel from the 1.8 dizzy, machining a packing bush and re-installing the 1.8 pulley wheel onto the XE dizzy. Physically, the XE dizzy casing is the same size as the 1.8, the fixing bolts are also in identical locations, so it fits straight on

To be honest, with the correct equipment it's not a difficult conversion. Here's a few pictures of the finished product..........

2wp2ygy.jpg

vmrh4y.jpg

and here it is fitted......

nx6qc.jpg

Setting up the timing was fairley straight forward too. I lined up the crank & cam timing marks, at this point the ignition timing should be firing on No1 cylinder. The make sure I got this 100% accurate, I drilled a hole in the top of an old dizzy cap and lined up the rotor arm with No1 on the dizzy cap......as simple as that. (see below)

2wgvwxu.jpg

I then fitted the belt and marked a new Ignition timing TDC

15g7yux.jpg

To allow precise timing adjustment, I've also slotted the dizzy mounting holes, this allow approx 10 degree advance/retard adjustment.

Hopefully it will all work, I don't see any reason why it won't.

Ingenious :thumbup

''Having previously decided I didn't want to do away with the heater, and the donor engine has a distributor (not a coil pack), I've converted the standard XE distributor to run in the 1.8 side mount housing. This involved removing the pulley wheel from the 1.8 dizzy, machining a packing bush and re-installing the 1.8 pulley wheel onto the XE dizzy. Physically, the XE dizzy casing is the same size as the 1.8, the fixing bolts are also in identical locations, so it fits straight on''

SOMEONE SHOULD DEFINATELY MACHINE THESE AND SELL THEM ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAZ

• 3 weeks later...

Been on holiday the past couple weeks, so progress limited!

Here's an update from the last couple of nights;

My original Manta oil pressure sender unit was leaking and all attempts to re-seal failed, so here is a sender unit off a VW Touareg!! It came with a 1/8NPT imperial thread and the XE pump is 14mm metric, but managed to put my hands on an adaptor. No sure how the gauge calibration will be, but time will tell!!

2418spv.jpg

Inlet manifold now fitted. There is actually very little space down below with the pipework exiting from the water pump and then turning 180 degrees to head back to the radiator. Stepper motor also fitted and vacuum pipework to servo. Doesn't look like much, but a few hours work was involved diverting the plumbing!

1058jgg.jpg

Managed to pick myself up a powercap on ebay. Being honest, it's rougher than advertised, but a 'bead blast' and a fresh coat of hammerite smooth silver you'll never know!! Pictures of this to follow once fitted.

Fitted a 14" cooling fan. Will need to fit a temp switch somewhere, but thats for another night!!

3588a9v.jpg

Next...........ECU, Loom, exhaust manifold and finish plumbing to rad & thermosotat

Edited by GMC

• 3 weeks later...

The inlet manifold works are now completed.....plumbing, fuel lines, breathers etc......

33kvwbo.jpg

352pyc3.jpg

Decided to go for the Ashley manifold. It fitted my budget and with the car use likely to be sunny saturday afternoons, it'll do the job perfectly I reckon

111mej7.jpg

X marks the spot where the Lambda sensor will be fitted. Waiting on the mounting boss arriving......further installation pictures later

24fi6nc.jpg

I've moved onto wiring now. Looks as though somebody has been playing around with the loom and made a mess of it. Not sure what what the purpose was??

6f2vyp.jpg

But repairs are under way..........

Damaged sections of cable cut out and a new section soldered in

2dl6hcw.jpg

2ymet0y.jpg

The soldered ends are then covered in heat shrink

2vuahhw.jpg

Coil fitted waiting to send that vital spark!!

1yq22w.jpg

New Bosch battery fitted waiting to provide power!!

iml4pe.jpg

Antifreeze & Gearbox oil waiting to protect!!

ok9yv.jpg

With the loom now repaired and fitting underway, I'm keen to fire the engine up to ensure the engine is fine. Hopefully I'll manage to do it this coming week at some point. Will keep you updated

nice work ger,nearly there.

just looking at the pics,does the alternator pulley line up with the crank pulley for belt?

also cant believe you have put a scabby half painted bolt into hold the coil.shocking.....

also to be really anal, blue antifreeze in a opel.............

Two good points Stu.....

Momentary lapse in concentration with the bolt.....will replace it tomorrow :o

Anti-freeze, I know all current models use red, but being a 25yr old engine design (hard to believe its 25yrs old!) I guessed it was Blue? Maybe not?

Will put a post in Technical tonight.