Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

replied.

need some opinions on the structur of the roof as i want to put a RSJ in for block and tackle, but cant decide on most cost effective way of doing it with the dimensions i have and the old garage existing roof, heres a crude sketch of it all

garageplan.png

Hi,

I take you are going to remove the internal walls to open up the space?, and replace with new roof, to keep it simple use as the existing structure, 6" x 2" supporting either felt of Fiberglass roof, but sit in your block work your RSJ and tie this in to the existing wall. If you are worried about weight, build up pillers to support the RSJ at each side, this will also give support to the walls due to length.

HTH

yes, support old roof then knock out wall. or take out old roof completly replace with 6x2 across and slot in a steel where i want?

dimensions may help, width wise new garage is 5m and 7m long. not 6x2 enough to support new roof?

im thinking 10x2's may need to be used for the span

Hi,

I have to ask, why do you want an engine hoist attached to a RSJ? Have you really thought it through? From my own experience, it's a very expensive way of removing an engine when you consider the expense of the RSJ, then the carrier and lastly the hoist and then after paying out for all that, you will struggle to get enough height on the removed engine to clear the front panel unless you make the roof extremely high and even after all that, once you lift the engine, you need to push the car away to be able to lower it again!! Then what will you do? Stick it on an engine stand to wheel it around? Why bother, for £100 you can buy an engine crane that'll do the job far easier and once the engines out, you can wheel it around whilst leaving the car where it is, I've had both and the engine crane wins every time for me?

Now, as for the roof span, even if you fit 10x2's, you will be on their absolute limit at 5 metres and you will need 'structural grade joists' at that, would it be possible to fit a pitched roof? You can buy lots of different types of trusses that'll be much more rigid and probably not any more expensive? I'd have a good look round at your options before commiting to anything, I'm out of touch these days with Building Regs and designs but the modern roofing systems have come a long way since I worked as a Carpenter!!

Cheers,

Alf.

hi alf, i have a crane. its more of a case its there if i want to use it. more to lift body up and over vehicle rather than engine out. as you rightly say height is an issue. the budget isnt there for pitched roof, i had it costed.

TBH im just weighing up all options and open to all ideas hence inviting opinion, 2 heads or more are always better than one.

you have some goods points there too alf. as i can only go to max of 2.5m total building height as im within 2m of boundary line, so pitch roof out of question. i dont want builind regs or PP for this project as im already doing that for a small extension to the house. cost is the main issues.

Hi Paul,

Sounds like your hands are fairly well tied, the reason I say to do some research is there are many new ideas out there these days, at the rear of my house, they're building some new houses and I notice the joists they're using are made of ply verticals with 4x2's glued at each end making an 'H' section, they're using those for spans over 5 metres and because they're using ply and 4x2's I wondered if that may be a cheaper option for you? As I said, I'm well out of touch these days but worth a good look round, they're always coming up with new ideas!!!

Keep well,

Cheers,

Alf.

PS.

From those photos above, I thought you were building a castle and that was your 'Moat' around it!!!!

after a job this morning made a start on the block work for the oversite/floor to DPC. im no bricky but im chuffed at my progress, and picking up tecnique for when it matters what it looks like lol

IMG-20120519-00643.jpg?t=1337460798

got about 8 metres done which is nearly halfway in half a day

IMG-20120519-00645.jpg

• Like 1

cheers scott. tbh it was a bit daunting but once you get your head round it not too hard. its just the finish i will never be up to standard of a time served bricky. but to be honest in my line of work ive come across all sorts! some 'builders' work ive witnessed i wouldnt let them butter a piece of bread let alone build anything from bricks and mortar.

the main reason im doing it is budget. aswell as the garage im renovating the house in the background, an a small extension to it, which will commence once the garage base is laid so i still ahve access for another mini digger.

the only thing i dont do is plastering as i cant get the finish id be happy with and of course gas.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

at last!! some progress on the car front. i now have concreted the oversite base for the garage, have a skip coming at the weekend to shift all the spoil (will prob need 2), free of charge from a top future brother in-law. then i can get on with the blockwork, i even have doors and windows at the ready and a remote roller shutter door

couple of boring pics, make me happy anyway!

IMG_0636_zps9f50d39c.jpg

IMG_0638_zpsb1bbfcff.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

skip one filled and gone back breaking work on your own!!, onto the second, have got halfway with the second but rain is stopping play, its a swamp out there, falling into a skip of wet clay is not fun haha! the thing we do for our mantas!

skip one with a little help from corona

945377_10151388065796780_763308041_n.jpg

Edited by novashed

• 2 months later...

Looking good.

It's a bit like a close encounter!

You build it and they will come, or in other words the bigger you build it the more stuff you put in it!!

I built myself a great 34sqm workshop(avoided building regs) next to my double garage and still I have to rent a unit!!

Sell one of my toys??

Never!!!

Bet you can't wait to get in there Paul.