Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

Is there gonna be a sticker on the bonnet saying: Caution, keep children and small animals away or they might get sucked in :blink:

:P:P

keep up the great work :thumbup:thumbup

haha, i dont really have much choice, either this or a bulge which i dont fancy to be honest, needs to be functional too, will be a lot of heat under there when the snail spools up

Hey Novashed,

Congratulations on your fantastic restoration Manta.

Your wheels are RH 25 Et? Wanted to buy one for mine.

Best regards

cheers, yes they are RH 8" rears and 7" fronts

• 2 weeks later...

Re: project A series

got the brackets tacked up today for the trailing arms final position, so i could start looking how to mount the diff, any ideas feel free to suggest guys. think i may use 2 rails either eide of the diff from the bmw subframe to the cross piece i welded in the boot, very strong anchors then, some tabs to bolt the diff to.

029-2.jpg?t=1296944946

031-2.jpg?t=1296944946

032-1.jpg?t=1296944946

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

still plodding on, got the diff fully mounted now. used a nova poly rea beam bush in the end for the rear diff mount with some forward thinking made a practical solution for the final diff mount. also managed to finish all the welding on the rear end from the top.

next on the agenda is to sort the bulkhead area where the steering shaft runs through.

i know pics needed, will sort soon.

cheers, it is is laboursome, firstly ive cut out all the rust, then onto moddifying the base car for the drivetrain etc, in soime cases cutting out the new metal ive already put in. just cant wait to get it back on the spit and weld up underneath for paint now

• 2 weeks later...

fews pics for ya'all

looking more ratty by the day

Photo0460.jpg?t=1306439566

re-done the steering shaft at the weekend, wasnt happy with previous effort, so made a more direct one, two uni joints and took out the rubber dohnut for more 'feel'

Photo0459.jpg?t=1306439566

finally finished the rear panel welding just needs welds sanding off

Photo0458.jpg?t=1306439566

shot of e30 trailing arms and modded mounts

Photo0457.jpg?t=1306439566

rose jointed side, which i may not need to do now if my measurements are accurate enough

Photo0456.jpg?t=1306439566

rear diff mount

Photo0455.jpg?t=1306439566

better hsot, used a nova rear beam bush, had to make a tube to caryy it, looped a bit from a prop and minimised its diameter. and a couple of m12 bolts welded up cherry red and a few spacers, presto mount sorted

Photo0454.jpg?t=1306439566

welding and panel work all done under rear seats now too, pretty chuffed

Photo0453.jpg?t=1306440284

• 2 months later...

morning guys. just to update. the manta has not been forgotton. im in the process of buying a house for the first time and finding the right one for the garage hasnt been easy but fingers crossed i have. then the work can get started for building a brand new custom build garage for the manta build and further projects in the future. it will be built without compromise, ie even a separate room for a couch PC and a sink so the missus doesnt kill me for putting greasy paw prints int he house. cant wait, also for getting back into the a series.

Edited by novashed

• 4 weeks later...

righty, a little progress at last, dragged myself up the unit for some 'paul' time.

lifted out the engine and subframe, diff, trailing arms and all the other crap that was in the shell. then single handed got it up on the rollover jig, tbh was pretty easy having done it several times now, and the shell weighs buggerall.

IMG-20110904-00218.jpg

IMG-20110904-00216.jpg

• 4 months later...

well, i have no progress to report unfortunately, with buying a house its taken my time up. but the only reason for the house buy was for the garage that is to be extended for the mantas new home. footings are dug, waiting for some decent/suitable weather and clear weekend of other work to get some concrete poured. i may start putting some pics up of that on this thread?

• 1 month later...

no work on her as such but a 450 mile round trip to co.durham has seen me with a van full of parts. and the essential mint boot lid that ive been after for a couple of years since the blasters ruinded mine. thnaks to janet for being patient with me! and thanks to being in this club for the contact!

• 1 month later...

righty, manta has moved home again, back to where it was first stored lol, also got some concrete in the footings for the new garage, so full seam ahead now!!

IMG-20120512-00634.jpg

IMG-20120512-00632.jpg

IMG-20120508-00627.jpg

amazing how much weight shes put on since all the new metal has gone in and reinforcing

too right, didnt help i felt like crap though, had to push all that crete round by hand with my brother, damn near killed us!, at least its in and will set well, next weekend will see blockwork shuttering up ready for the floor!