Manta A Series V8 Supercharged

Paul Barrett

Apologies if some doesnt make sense, bit of cut and past from another forum, much easier than typing ul again

having got the mill all fixed and now up and running, few more bits to setup but all is well got me thinking the little myford lathe was goung to cut it now for larger stuff i tend to need to mavhine, so trawled the net a bit and but the feelers out for a larger lathe. Found a harrison l5 on ebay with a lowish starting price, so whacked a cheeky low bid in, and won it!

Bit of cut and paste from another forum-

had the old the old Myford ml7 picked up yesterday ready for the addition to take its place. Then picked up the trailer for Saturday.

Left early doors this morning heading for north London to pickup the new lathe.

Arrived at the back road to the garage it's housed at

Sod reversing it all the way to the end through the undergrowth!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I un-hitched and walked it down

An ever so nice chap Robert arrived half hour later to sort out after gassing With the mother of the original owner who has sadly passed away hence the workshop clear out.
Single handed loaded it up as Robert had recently hurt  his back and I couldn't get anyone to help me this weekend, oh well got cracking and wasn't too bad as trailer was nice and low and nearly same level as workshop floor! Lucky indeed. So rolled it on.

Along with the lathe I made a deal for a load of other tooling including milling cutters, vices, motor, grinder, reamers, cabinet ....... All sorts. As it all had to go.
So I'm one happy chappy, they were happy it's going to good home to be used again, and not a dealer to make an easy profit on.
But for me even hiring the trailer and diesel has come to just under what the little ml7 went for. really pleased I have an upgrade that has just cost me my time! Not bad for a random eBay punt as the harrison is a grands worth all day long as uts hardly worn, just filthy.

Few more pics of single handed unloading, which wasn't too bad, take your time, think it through, bit at a time. Didn't need the crane either, just some 1 1/2" heavy tube, crowbars, 8x2 timber and brute force!
Pretty pumped Adonis after all that shifting!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Bit of struggle, push a bit, lift a bit jack it, lower it........

..........20 mins later wer're in

Will get a few more pics of the beauty later once my little one has gone to bed, needs a damn good clean down and sort through all the goodies

Also if anyone is interested there is a single phase donkey hacksaw available

If anyone interested I can pass on Roberts details to auve a chat with him.

As you can see needs some love

Been stripping it down already

Some of the stuff that also came with and i purchased whilst i was there, 100's worth

More cleaning and stripping

Picked this 10" rotary table up for the mill too this afternoon, should come in handy for many a task.

Just waiting on the correct paint for the lathe now and get cracking sprucing it up.

Some may ask why I'm not working on the manta, quite simply a little break and getting the workshop more organised and tooled how i want it

Well ,

Managed to squeeze a couple of hours in today to get a coat of new blue/grey on Harry.

By no means a pro job, but tidies it up and will make it easier to clean down.
Spotted some red brake caliper paint on one of my shelves, which will do nicely for the red details

The guilt got the better of me so I squeezed in some time to crack on with Harry a bit more

more cleaning, wire wheeling, and sanding

Got the 3 speed gearbox in the washer, removing 50 years of grease is not fun, I'd rather clean a CV joint!

Then dismantled and detail clean and inspect....

Gears are mint though and bearings which is nice

Casing got a going over with a flap disc to smooth it out, can't be areas filling etc, ran out of etch primer so did my usual and painted straight to metal, which I find is fine with enamel

Also got some paint in the top slide bits

Just got this last ****** to clean down and check over, then it's all back together,

oh and the change wheel cover, which is in good nick so a light sand and paint will suffice

Well, sealed the deal, guy threw in the original receipt from road craft and a yoke, very nice of him, he's lost allot of money on this but he was happy and me too!

I  surprised and at the same time pleased at home compact and relatively light it is for its capabilities, lots of mounting options  too. Just need to ideally source some cAD files for the bolt pattern so I can maybe have a plate laser cut for perfect alignment, or is back to how did the w58 one, several days of measuring and filing, cutting sore hands!

Had permission for some workshop time!

Nearly got Harry back together, high as a kite  on petrol fumes cleaning the carriage I finally got it painted and on, lots of faffing about getting it in place. But not a lot to show for 6 hours, but progress is progress. need To get a new topslide nut as Harry's i managed to screw up, or try and salvage the original which hopefully I can manage as the lathe is hardly worn. The cross slide is silky smooth now all is cleaned and lightly oiled with only slight backlash which I can sort with adjustment.

Need to fab up a better splash guard so all swarf goes into suds tray, got some aluminium sheet that should do the job.

Big chunk 20mm of T6 aluminium sourced

Template sorted for TKO-1uz, my local lazer cutter guy printed out for me from CAD drawing i sourced. He made it 1:1 for me to check dimensions before quoting for steel, but i need 20mm thick adpater for the long input shaft of the ford version treme i have. The problem being he can only cut up to 10mm on their machines, i don't fancy two plates welded together or to be hinest the extra weight. Il buy him a few beers for printiout either way.

Bough this cheap evolution saw fron screwfix, spoke to them on faceboom and they said it will go through thuck ally with their aluminium blade. I thiught sod it and just try the one it came with. Goes through like a hot knife through butter! And a good cut. I also attached a hoover to it and virtually no mess or hot chip in my face, win win

Got as far as mounting up on the mill and centre punching the holes and scribing the outline of the plate, which is quite intricate for a none CNC machine, so i will probably just make it quite basic with straight cuts. 
Next step is to get it on the lathe and bore out the centre to the correct diameter to slip on the gearbox and check the punched centres lign up with the gearbox mounting and the 1uz bellhousing.

Having lathe issues at the moment though as the harrison topslide nut is shagged and finding it hard to source the correct one for the right money, so ive orderd some bronze and i may have a go at making one!! 'He who dares rodney, he who dares...'

Squeezing the odd hour here and there 

Got the plate bolted up to a faceplate for boring out the 123mm hole

Perfect fit squire!

Then back in the mill to drill the 10.2mm holes for m12. Tapping,
Semi bolted up to box and bellhousing for fitment, 4 more hole to do yet but looking good so far 

I'm getting good at sneaking in the workshop whilst the wife doesn't notice!

Got the plate finished up, profiled it a bit to a shape of sorts, can't be arsed to make it look pretty. All edges milled down nice and clean, and two elongated holes for the hydraulic lines. 

Now next on the list is the flywheel, now j was going to make my own as I have enough T6 to do so. But I found a billet steel one for not a lot of money in the states, it's custom made for Toyota Land Cruiser 1uz conversions and uses 10.5" clutch discs which is great as fingers crossed I can use an uprated mustang unit. This suits me much better than the planned twin plate tilton race clutch etc. should be much more drive able in regular traffic but still handle hard launches. For a bit of drag action. 

More goodies arrives today

Spitronics management, fully sequential, specific 1uz kit. A lot
Kore in the kit than I was expecting, extremely good value for money. Compared to DTA emerald etc. Heard a lot of good things from it too.

And my clutch, Centreforce dual friction. Rated to 600nm. It's 10.5" friction plate. 
Fingers crossed it mates to the flywheel I have coming from the states, I expect some machining for locators and bolt holes

After finally getting the input bearing out (just bought a proper slide hammer tool set) in a matter of 3 seconds with the right tool. I lobbed on the tremec,

I might make a Perspex trans tunnel now, shame to cover it up!

On a crap note, my flywheel finally arrived from the states after 5 weeks, DAMAGED! Arrrgghh. 
Looks like some numpty has dropped it, so how in talks with supplier as to what to do from here. Good news is it fits the clutch plate and just needs redrilling for pressure plate. I wouldn't be too bothered about the damage but it's a critical part and its cast so not so great to weld  up 

Has to get on with something 

TTV have come through with a beautifully machined flywheel 

Hopefully fits!

Well that was fun

Put flywheel in deep freeze overnight 

Ring gear in oven on max for 20mins fan assisted.

Remove ring gear from over and generously waft some plumbers map gas over it to get a bit hotter. (Too tight to buy some oxy gear)

Remove flywheel from deep freeze

As quickly as I  dare, lay very hot ring gear on flywheel, at this stage if you have enough heat, ring gear should drop onto flywheel. 

If not tap or wollop ring into flywheel until seated

Voila, 1 complete flywheel is served

Cheers.

Yeah is still hefty, but I am using a road. clutch 10.5", yank stuff. Aim is for good drive ability for road use

Managed to also get some tube welded in the shell!
Maybe the start of some more significant progress hopefully, but not much more this weekend as the wife is away on a hen do, so it's me and the little one to fend for ourselves! 

Got some tunnel work done

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 2

looks great!  floors are going to look really professional too! just a note on the release bearing, dont know if it says on the instructions or not about shimming, we find that quite often we have to get extra shims to keep correct gap with these tremecs, you will never hurt that tranny though below 600 lb/ft torque.

looks great!  floors are going to look really professional too! just a note on the release bearing, dont know if it says on the instructions or not about shimming, we find that quite often we have to get extra shims to keep correct gap with these tremecs, you will never hurt that tranny though below 600 lb/ft torque.

it has a threaded collar Mike so no shims?

Great stuff Paul, did you sell the W58?

Tony

hi Tony, yes sold it as a kit to a 1uz installer.

• 4 weeks later...

23/12/15

Had a productive day yesterday, hung over today though so prob won't get much done :(

Got the rest of the tunnel tubing done and then managed to bead up a floorpan

0C2CAEDB-DEF8-4F42-BB26-D4F54C584440_zps

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/novashed/media/manta a series/F1E6FFEC-3B12-4040-A35F-E3099C83323D_zpsbsrb1vye.jpg.html

F1E6FFEC-3B12-4040-A35F-E3099C83323D_zps

8DA5F1F5-8DA8-4F58-B112-84839EB9F9CD_zps

Made the drivers side but stuffed up the beading! Doh. So called it a day

Not been too well over the festive period so not a lot to report until today. Managed to spend most of the day on the manta.
Drivers floor made and welded in, I've also decided to redo the rear body mounts in a much neater manner, so that's a part I'm much happier with.

Also finally got the steering column mounted in its final position, more into the cab than planned but has worked out best all round. I can get better angles in the shaft joints and its means more weight to the rear. Was all Made much easier now a floor is in so seat can be positioned accurately. 
So in all a productive day. So productive forgot to take any pics!

Next jobs
1- make up some raised plates for seat mounting with captive nuts, will also double as floor braces 
2 - re think front body mounts as they are untidy and not thought out well enough
3 - finish the rear floor Panels
4- finish footwells once front mounts are done

Then into pedals etc 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 16 June 2016 at 23:00, andyc said:

Hey Paul

Just reading Hotrodders project with his AMG lump in an A series and it reminded me of your project, just wondering if it was still moving along

All the best

Andy

Hi andy,

not much to report really, only that i have an even larger charger for it now. Been collecting parts quite well rady for building up the engine ill be using. Winter should see a start up again.

• 6 months later...

Been a while. But the next few weeks should start seeing some more progress.

Have some more goodies on there way for the engine build.

Cometic mls head gaskets
Arp stud kit 
MS3 Pro and wiring

And have some new toys to
Play with!

Have had a massive tidy up in the shop and clear out to push some motivation; bring on 2017!

• Like 1

Paul Barrett Avatar
Paul Barrett
Part of things
13 minutes ago
likePost Options Options Edit Post Select Post Deselect Post Report Post Delete Post Back to Top 
To bed myself in again to the project I had to make a new welding trolley!

The old mig and it's trolley has now gone to a new home and the ikea table just doesn't cut it! 

28E66AA7-D502-49BE-A959-30D72AC7A832_zps4ibkmeuc.jpg

Some box section is incorrectly ordered has come in handy
Main frame migged up, some decent castors too

DC85C84A-7C6A-48FB-B332-01397F6F1732_zpsnkmad38r.jpg

Nearly got it done in 3 hours, not too shabby. Just needs a deck for the tig cooler at the bottom, some gas bottle straps. Made the back gas bottle storage quite large for big bottles, needs some straps adding. The last cart was only made for the smaller bottles which, for the tig isnt much use to me. Need to add some hooks for leads and torches, filer rod tube holder

59CD19B6-D71A-4CBD-84D7-7EE6595EE6B0_zpsfd67zj0z.jpg

Might even paint too. 

Will be ready to get cracking on the manta floors again!

Paul Barrett Avatar

• 1 year later...

Righty small kinda update,

this has not been shelved, has been a busy couple of years getting the grey A show ready. 

But last year did see me buy this for yet another change in direction. Some of you will know about this but to prove I’m not talking out my arse lol

The engine now just needs to be thrown together lol.

all is not wasted on what I’ve already built, learnt a lot from it. But this is the ultimate in my eyes bit like an A series Bertha!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...