Manta B Project Underway!

upk

been a while, have had a wee job to do on a 205pug, front end smash!! well its in primer as of today so i did have an hour or so on the B. managed to replace the wheel well today.

Pug will be painted tomorrow then rebuilt wednesday so i can crack on with the B.

by the way i decided not to go the 400 kit route.

will renew both arches for standard then crack on getting ready for painting.

had a bit of a clean round this morning in the workshop as it was getting a bit messy smile.gif

then i cracked on and finished off the cill that i put on a few weeks back

records032.jpg

then after that the nearside wheel arch, first cut out the old one and joggled the edge

records034.jpg

then temporary fixed the new arch

records038.jpg

before welding in place

records039.jpg

got the other side to do next!

forgot to mention, picking up a new toy tomorrow biggrin.gif

well future project that is gonna make another stage car like page 2 of this thread only quicker ohmy.gif

Edited by upk

progress report:-

saturday 19th June....sunny day.....

so i went into the workshop in the shade and .........

replaced the drivers side sill

records043-1.jpg

records041.jpg

and then tackled the rear arch......... :unsure: decided to let in the damaged front section instead of full replacment as this side was on the whole in good condition..

records042-1.jpg

whats left??

Make and fit rear chassis rail repair section.

front valance end repair section

(has any one got a knackered valance thats ok at drivers side end so i can use it as a repair section, otherwise i will make one up)

then go front to rear fettle and weld check over.

lead load the roof joints

............then we can start preparing the body for paint :D

Edited by upk

getting near to that achievment milestone.......

hole in rear chassis section

IMG_1117-1.jpg

made up a template then cut 2 sides and joined together with a bottom section producing repair section then welded in place

records044-1.jpg

records045.jpg

quick cover of primer to stop the dreaded rust getting hold, hopefully will get chance to finish off tomorrow!!

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a first today!

tried my hand at lead loading the joints where i replaced the roof panel...........its easy :thumbup

from this

IMG_1186.jpg

too this

records051-1.jpg

and then a wee bit of elbow effort will be required!!

• 1 month later...

time for a quick update.........sorry no pics

well the weldathon is over and the bodywork is now in the capable hands of my mate Daryl. When it comes to welding and the mechanical bits he is a good pair of helping hands but when it comes to bodywork............well i stand back and watch in awe at his magic touch!!

It must be said he is a perfectionist! :thumbup

so its on with the running gear resto now for me, its all stripped down and now time to start painting and rebuilding.

there is light at the end of this long tunnel B) but its probably a fair way off still at the mo due to time constraints!!

should be ready for next summer tho :D

a couple of pics of the roof skin piller joints after i fettled the lead down and gave them a dusting of primer.

cameradownload003.jpg

cameradownload004.jpg

still can't get over how easy lead is to work with...............suspect its not so easy on a vertical panel!

• 1 month later...

Been a while since my last post but i have not been too idle!

Stripped the omega of all parts worthy of keeping and cashed the rest in at the local breakers yard!

next job is too strip the engine down and give it a once over/ rebuild.

cameradownload014.jpg

kev you are a brave man well done to you .

thank you so much for the advice on sat

re molded the air box and looking into a vw

heater , have tried again as you said to list

photos for the club members to see but will not list.

this project puts mine to shame

good luck . the tell number for adrian in ANGLESEY

WINDSCREENS is 08009541626

he can get the bronze one you wanted .also asked

keith from CES about the other lamp for you he will

try this week to get one for you

thanks once again for the advice

as the members say you are the origanal

restoration man

col :thumbup :thumbup

Edited by col

Col many thanks for the info!

and for the kind words. Rest assurred that there are members in the club with far more experience than i have, they have all helped me out on many occasions.

catch up again soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Your wish is my command...............well the panto season is almost apon us!!!! :rolleyes:

not the best pictures due to position of car in workshop but here is progress off rough filler work:-

first off the wheel arch i have completely replaced

cameradownload008.jpg

the arch i replaced leading edge and rear lower corner

cameradownload010.jpg

cameradownload009.jpg

and the roofskin joints

cameradownload006.jpg

cameradownload007.jpg

will take more as we go along.............i feel an end in sight............maybe :D

• 3 months later...

well its been a while!!

progress has been slow on the bodywork preperations for 2 reasons:

1. its been too bloody cold over the winter months and motivation escaped us :rolleyes:

2. and this is my fault and it could be a long story...................well, at the start of this year i reached one of those milestones in life that need to be celebrated. So off we trot to the local for a few pints.

Well this turned into a lets drink mixed spirits in large amounts session. i say mixed cos to this day i have no idea what we were drinking but they just kept coming!!

All was well, we left the pub around midnight or maybe later and set off for a short walk home.

At this point Darrell, who does the bodywork commented about the way i was walking, seems it was not a straight line or something like that. Anyhow i asked him what he meant so he proceeded to demonstrate. It looked really funny as he staggered from one side of the road to the next in what you would assume was a drunken swagger.

but then he lost control of his feet and hit the deck hard, damaged his right shoulder and buggered up all chances of any bodywork being done :(

well the good news he is fit and well as of last week and has started on the job again, albeit a steadier pace at the mo.

anyway the moral of this story is dont take your bodywork man out on the piss, this aint no carling friendship!! :)

Edited by upk

Looking good lead loading, know a man well an oldish chap who did this work for his living and still helps many folks out up here with the older classics.

All work he does is still all by hand and not a lecci plug in sight, hand files and a great assortment of wooden/hardwood paddles to work thi lead.

rab.

• 1 month later...

spent a few hours in the engine bay over the last couple of weekends and finished off today with a blast of barcoat!

cameradownload032.jpg

rest of bodywork is progressing slow due to the shifts my mates working but it is coming :D