240 Gearbox Oil

steely dan

Just put some new seals and bearings into a spare 5 speed box that I'm fitting . The part number for the correct oil I have is 19120541 but my local GM dealer over here in Ireland is drawing a blank on that number with no superseded number showing either.

Anybody got the indentification /part number for the correct oil for a Getrag 240 ?

Cheers

The 'correct' oil would only be a GM specified one from back in the day, hence why a GM dealer today will draw a blank on it, as they'll not be using the same lubricants that they used in 1984 for example. A modern Castrol equivalent if anything is going to be better.

Ever heard of the problem of getrag boxes not being able to be put into firstin cold weather..... due to oil not being changed.

I change the oil every 20000 anyway. Ran my Transit with ATF in the gearbox, and they are prone to giving up the ghost, for over 50000 miles with no probs at all. Autograsser has run with the 240 box with ATF in for years under hard conditions and is still perfect. Not had any probs so far and the guy i use for transmission builds (Stephensons in Preston) tells me its a higher spec than just about all the other oils, trust him cos hes good at what he does.

HTH

Chris

• 8 years later...

Well I used to use ATF as the gearbox guy i used to use recommended it!! Thing is he was wrong!! So thats me posting duff info. The firm i used aren't what they used to be as the old guy who ran it retired. Through other various sources its come to light that ATF doesn't have certain anti wear additives that the older 5 speed boxes need, saying that the boxes i have run on ATF are still fine and dandy.

Basically go with he 75-90 GL5 oil as Rutts has said to be safe. I switched to using the Lucas stuff.

HTH

Chris

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

Proper stuff that, available cheap from your local vaux dealer and cheaper if they see your trade club number on your membership card ( if the trade club is still being run?)

Edited by Kevin Abbott