Cavalier 4 door

Snowy

What ever you do you need to use a fuel pressure regulator. You cannot just run an electric pump directly to your carbs. Unless of course you have found one specificly designed this way. Not sure i have seen any like that.

If you want to use a switch on your dash then that's fine. Again it's a personal thing. I would have run it through a relay off the ignition switch ( or any switched live suitable). Even if you do this you can still mount a switch in line so you have an imobiliser.

To be really safe use this as an example:

Wire the pump directly to the starter solinoid. So when cranking the pump has power.

Then fit a relay that is turned on by a switch, such as an oil pressure switch. One that moves from normally open circuit to closed circuit. You can buy these from any decent motor factors. This then supplies power to the pump once the engine has oil pressure.

This is a fail safe pump. If the engine stops so does the fuel pump.

This is just an example. But hope you get the idea. Speak to bogg brothers and see what they recommend for your carbs.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for the info. It makes a bit more sense now. Im sure it will become clear when i get into it. I have more of an idea now.

I did mean the bike pump which runs at a constant 3psi apparently. Didnt really think i would need a regulator as well as the pump but i suppose it wouldnt do any harm just another failsafe. I think i have a variable one from my old gte. Will have to look.

An inline switch will work just fine for me. Better safe than sorry. Knowing me i might leave it on when i turn the car off and knacker my battery or blow the car up.

• 1 month later...

Cars being stripped again to deal with all the rot. Been removing the underseal this afternoon. Lovely job.

100_1687.jpg

100_1688.jpg

This is why it's worth doing if you want to keeo your car. The underseal looked good but was hiding this...

100_1690.jpg

100_1691.jpg

The GTE engine is out and i'm trying to decide what to put in. I would love to find a complete 2.0SEH but they seem to be going for silly money at the moment. I have a 1.8E from a mk1 astra GTE that might go in. What do people think?

100_1686.jpg

book a holiday to holland and find SEH and C20NE's as cheap as chips(oh dear I'm starting to sound like that bloke from bargain hunt)

but a 1.8E is no slow engine for an 1800 put combine 1.8 head with an SEH engine and it will be even better

book a holiday to holland and find SEH and C20NE's as cheap as chips(oh dear I'm starting to sound like that bloke from bargain hunt)

but a 1.8E is no slow engine for an 1800 put combine 1.8 head with an SEH engine and it will be even better

the NE is easy to find, it's an SE or SEH i'm after.

Been carrying on with the underseal removal today. Done front jacking point back to rear wheel arch.

100_1695.jpg

100_1694.jpg

100_1693.jpg

100_1692.jpg

Bit akward here..

100_1696.jpg

100_1697.jpg

For those who wonder why do this. This underseal here looked good, no breaks in it. But it comes off in big pieces because it's not attached very well. You can just see the orange dots from the corrision starting on the steel above.

100_1698.jpg

Re;"Been carrying on with the underseal removal today. Done front jacking point back to rear wheel arch".and;

"For those who wonder why do this."

Didnt wonder why so much, as How you do/did it . . . . thinners/heat gun + scraper/scourer type disc/ or what???

Cheers, Colin.

Sorry no, i'm after a 2.0L SEH from a cavalier or a 2.0L SE from a carlton.

I remove the underseal with a 1/2" wood chisel. No heat gun. I find using the heat gun causes it to melt making it more difficult to remove.

Once i have the bulk off, that you can see in the pictures posted first, i then use a knotted wire brush in my angle grinder to finish it off. Second lot of pics.

If you dont scrape it all off first leaving behind just trace before you attack it with the angle grinder you end up covered in lots of strands of underseal.

It's hard work but worth it.

Been making a centre console out of wood, to make a mould for a fibre glass item, for the mk1 cav. I want to be able to move the stereo, heater controls and put a three speed fan switch in it. Also the buttons for the electric windows etc.

What do people think of the basic shape and how it looks in the car. Remember it's not finished, just after thoughts.

Image0085.jpg

Image0084.jpg

Image0083.jpg

Image0082.jpg

Thanks

I quite like that, when finished that'd look a lot better than a radio sticking out of the dash!

Did you get that wiring loom OK?

Yes, sorry i did mean to email. I haven't had it out the box yet. That will be tomorrow when i start converting the mk1 cavs wiring loom to take the OHC instead of the CIH engine.

Thanks

More underseal being removed today.

This looked like good underseal, see what's underneath. If your inner wings are solid and you haven't removed the standard underseal i recommend you do it now!!

Image0100.jpg

Image0099.jpg

Liem the centre console, dunno why you don't just cover it in black vinyl and use what you've made, looks good. If you are going to make a mould I'd be interested in a fiberglass console too. How's that for a compliment?

Gotta love the dedication in removing cold underseal and wore brusk/grinder combo. Probably the worst job ever and on you back too!!

Liem the centre console, dunno why you don't just cover it in black vinyl and use what you've made, looks good. If you are going to make a mould I'd be interested in a fiberglass console too. How's that for a compliment?

Gotta love the dedication in removing cold underseal and wore brusk/grinder combo. Probably the worst job ever and on you back too!!

Thanks. The reason i want to mould it is so i can use it in my 1.8 coupe. I didn't think anyone else would want one though.

Removed the front subframe today so i can get at the underseal more easily. Also drivers side chassis rail needs attention where the subframe mounts.

I cannot remember the last time the lower subframe mounting bolts just undid and came straight out on a manta/mk1 cavalier.

Image0104.jpg

That made life easier......

Image0105.jpg

I always recommend removing the stub axle/hub unit and road springs before you remove the subframe. It's easier to do with the support of the shell and it also makes the subframe light enough to just pick up and carry around.

Image0106.jpg

Back to removing underseal...

Feel like i'm getting somewhere now, until i realise that i have the other side to do aswell....

Started finding holes today...

Image0107.jpg

Image0108.jpg

Image0109.jpg

Well it's not bad, good job i caught it now...

But shiny metal is good..

Image0110.jpg