Work starts on the mk 2 , V6 A series.

mantaray

• 2 weeks later...

Well the chances of my A making it to Billing have just got a bit brighter.
After 5 weeks i have finally got my custom prop back from manufactering. As long as it fits, then I can get the axel and exhausts fitted and apart from a few little things to finish off she will be ready for MOT next week, hopefully.

Still waiting for the new door cards to arrive, but at least they are not stoping me from getting an MOT.

Long hard day, but it was worth it.
Prop, axel and exhausts all fitted. Still need to sort out the hand brake and Pan hard rod, bleed brakes and do a cheak of all the bolts and then a mile stone will have been reached as she can be dropped onto her wheels.

• Like 3

Sorry Rob, but she failed. :angry::angry:.

But only on the d/s inner tye rod end. Have now fitted another old one I have, and will take her for retest tomorrow. Need to find some new ones tho but as long as she gets a MOT so I can bring her to Billing, thats all that matters for the moment.

I know there will be other small things that will show up once I am able to drive her, after all she has been through major work and has a lot of modifications

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mantaray said:

Sorry Rob, but she failed. :angry::angry:.

But only on the d/s inner tye rod end. Have now fitted another old one I have, and will take her for retest tomorrow. Need to find some new ones tho but as long as she gets a MOT so I can bring her to Billing, thats all that matters for the moment.

I know there will be other small things that will show up once I am able to drive her, after all she has been through major work and has a lot of modifications

Just a tie rod after all that?!! I think you did very well and should still get a congratulations!!

Edited by si-north
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mantaray said:

Well after 9 years of blood, sweat and tears along with the moments of "I can't be arsed", I beleave the A is now ready for an MOT.
Its been a long haul, but she does look good.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

9 years eh! so that's the target..... well done that is perseverance.

A couple of pics of her out side after MOT.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Thanks to an old club member, I now have 2 new tie rod ends which I'll fit in the morning, so she should be all legal sometime tomorrow

• Like 5

On 6/11/2016 at 02:14, mantaray said:

Can't remember what washer bottle was from. Had it ages. Take a wonder round the scrap yards.

Rack is lowered by 40 mm

I'm going to lower my rack by approx 2".  I think I'm going with an aftermarket rack that has narrower pivot points to suit.

1 hour ago, h0tr0dder_uk said:

I'm going to lower my rack by approx 2".  I think I'm going with an aftermarket rack that has narrower pivot points to suit.

make sure you read up on bump steer first if you havent already.

Andy

18 hours ago, 611 said:

make sure you read up on bump steer first if you havent already.

Andy

yeah.  that is why you need the narrower pivot point so that they still intersect the line between the upper and lower a-arm mounts.  Then you need to lower the steering arms to suit to.

On 08/07/2016 at 18:11, h0tr0dder_uk said:

yeah.  that is why you need the narrower pivot point so that they still intersect the line between the upper and lower a-arm mounts.  Then you need to lower the steering arms to suit to.

So if you kept the rack at the same height and moved it forward 2 inches, how would that effect it? i take it bump steer would not be affected, but it would increase the toe out? and would have to be corrected by adjusting the control arms? or would it also affect bump steer??

Andy

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 16:13, mantaray said:

She is now fully road legal.:-);-)

Just been for a bit of a shake down run and I am now grinning from ear to ear

Great work look forward to seeing it at Billing ( not long now) :thumbup

• 3 months later...

Well a bit of an update.

As some will know the car did make it to Billing, and I won Best A Series, so thanks to all who voted for me.

One thing I had noticed was that the rear calliper where catching on the springs, so on return from Billing I set about having a look at how I could solve the problem. On removing the rear wheels, I found that I had a bigger problem. The p/s half shaft had over 2mm of end floot and the disc was rubbibg on the calliper. On further investigation, I found that the axel builder had not put any spacers in the diff. So after a phone call to the builder, the axel was removed from the car and sent back to be sorted.

A few days later I had the axel back and re fitted it to the car, then I had a look at the calliper problem. Originly I had fitted the calipers to the front of the disc, so I looked at fitted them to the back, this works and gives clearance but only of about 7mm, so I will need to keep an eye on pad ware. However it also means that I now need a custom hand brake cable, after a call to Speedy Cables, the old hand brake cable and an old speedo cable were sent away to be renewed.

Another little problem was that the old thrust bearing I had used squilled like a pig, so that would need changing, not hard, but requires the engine and box to be droped out of the car. So that is what I have been doing today. Engine and box now out, bearing swoped for a new one and all ready to go back in tommorow.

• Like 3

Engine and box back in.

Exhaust re fitted with new rubbers.

New speedo cable fitted.

Fuel leak sorted.

just waiting for hand brake cable to turn up, and she will be ready for the NEC in 2 weeks time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Wow, been a while since I added to this thread.

The car made it to the NEC, for the Classic Motor Show, and drew a lot of attention but the gearbox was still whining, so I guess that it was not the thrust bearing after all.

In Jan 2017 while cleaning the car I found that the paintwork had micro blistered all over the roof and boot lid. So she went back to the paint shop to get it sorted. In the end, we ended up repainting both rear quarters, boot lid and roof.

The engine has now been removed again so I get get the gearbox sent away for a rebuild and hopefully stop the whining.

• 3 weeks later...

Box has gone away for the rebuild, so while the engine is out, I have decided to give it a bit of a freshen up.

Altho the cam belt has only done about 2k it is over 14 years old, so new cam kit was ordered. Changing the cam belt will also give me the chance to swop the current "A" Ex cams for some "G" cams.

New cam seals fitted.

New kit fitted and all timed up.

It was a good job that I did strip the engine down, as on removing the clutch cover I found that the drive plate was starting to break up. More expense to get an upgraded clutch kit.

• Like 2