Project "J"

stradacab

• 4 weeks later...

Rostyle restoration. If you saw the car at the Bristol Classic car show you would have noticed the car had different wheels on each side. I have prepped and painted all 4 now, No chrome embellishes to fit, this was a cheaper manta so they were deleted on this model 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Engine bay with yellow accents, I  used some battery stickers I was given to created a genuine battery thing

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

And a quick line up shot from the show. I also got a little featurette panel in the following weeks Classic Car Buyer in their show report. I think he was interested in the fact the car had just been finished and the rarity of the model.

As a lot of you know, Billing was supposed to be the "Big reveal" after 5 years of work. It didn't happen like that due to the change of dates so I will definitely be there in 2017 and so will the GT-J. As it happens the car is far from finished to my liking, lost of detail jobs to do such as painting the suspension and cleaning the overspray off underneath. The car also sits very high so Dave picked up a set of lowering springs (I'm worried it might be too low) so I'll fit them and see. 

Menwhile I am smoking it around and showing it locally while I shake down the niggles and will have it spot on foe next year. While I was away Emyr ant me the second attempt at the decals, I reckon we are spot on now, they curve up the back wing and he has added a taper in the front wing graphic too. Can't wait to fit these and complete the look

i will keep you updated.....

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 3

First off, fitted the revised graphics from EMS. Spot on!

And me and Dave did the easy set of springs to try the new ride height. I reckon it is going to be OK judging from the rears, seem to sit the wheels in the arches without slamming it. The fronts will have to wait a week as I have show coming up

• Like 3

Front lowering springs now fitted to complete the lower look.

Car sits at 270mm wheel centre to ground, as a comparison my Ascona which I believe is on GTE springs sits 10mm higher at 280mm

Sorry about the pic which was taken around 10:30pm.

Edited by Rapierdave

If you're stuck for something to do and fancy making a few quid tax free, then my GTE hatch needs a few patches welded to the underside ;)

Congratulations on the GT/J, even though I can't see the pics, I did see the first part of the project :thumbup

On 31/07/2016 at 13:55, stradacab said:

Had to do springs as you were taking the p*ss out of my Manta Monster Truck at Castle Coombe!

See you Saturday

The low rider look, look out for the speed bumps. Look forward to seeing it on Saturday, maybe next get some air suspension;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

June 2018.

So the show season is starting for me tomorrow at the Bristol Classic Car Show at the Bath and West Showground in Shepton Mallet.

RBY was put away in September 2016 in an "on the road" state but nowhere the standard I wanted- you know how you are never happy with your own work?? I also missed Billing that year as the date moved after I booked the family holiday so the whole thing felt like unfinished business even back then.

November 2016 I finished wth my employer of 24 years and put my SR Berlinetta hatch EJO on the road out of necessity to smoke around in running for a year as a daily. Took a very lazy year off (come on, I worked full time for 30 years, I deserved a break!) I then started my own company and had to do some extensive retraining while getting things off the ground.

Im not moaning or unhappy about it, everything is very good, but there were obviously far more important things to focus on that playing with silly old cars.

FF to now, RBY is back at my place and work is underway to tackle all those details and properly finish the restoration. I've started but have lots to do ahead of Market Harborough in July.

First job tonight is wash it, pack and hope we get to Shepton Mallet tomorrow morning. If you are going to the show we hope to see you there!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...