Opel Commodore Project Underway

Rab

• 2 weeks later...

Looking better every time I visit this thread! Are you going to do the pin-stripes as well, or leave it plain red?

That rubberised under body material, did you apply it with a brush or is it a spray?

Found some new links for inspiration:

http://www.forum-auto.com/automobiles-mythiques-exception/section5/sujet382348.htm lots of old racing pics and ads (it's in French, though)

http://manta7075.free.fr/images/stories/manifestation/endingen2008/imgcol/ the red German reg H-ZA 78 is a beauty.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

New pics for you about a week old now - so knowing Simon as I do this will have moved on loads.... enjoy:

DSCN7634.jpg

DSCN7628.jpg

DSCN7631.jpg

DSCN7639.jpg

DSCN7642.jpg

Hope to be going over weekend after next to see where we've got to.

This is like waiting for Christmas!

Thanks to evryone who has made wonderful comments on this project especially as it's not a Manta - but it just pushes all the right buttons ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can i just ask?? The water pump did come off before fitting the timing cover? I only ask as i'm sure one of the timing cover bolts is underneath the water pump.

Great car!!!

Great question - The engine was built by one of Simon Peckhams contacts, and has just been delivered to Simon. So I can't tell you, but thanks for highlighting this :thumbup

Cheers for now,

WOW!!! this project is unbelievable! I have a '69 Rekord Coupe RHD which i intend to bareshell resto the same as this!

Thanks a lot - I have spent a huge amount of time sourcing all the parts for the car, even travlleing to holland there and back in 24hrs! Every bush is brand new underneath, it has 9 brand new panels including two brand new original GM rear quarters and a genuine GM front wing, new shocks, new trim, new light units etc etc. it has been a real labour of love and Simon P is the right man for the job, takes his time, guides you through the tough decisions and advises you all the way.

We're almost there now, undretand that the radiator has come back from being re-cored and Simon P is just waiting for the brake calipers to come back to start on running the new brake lines.

No more pics at this time - though I will be seeing the car in approx 3 weeks time so should have more of an update then.

Great question - The engine was built by one of Simon Peckhams contacts, and has just been delivered to Simon. So I can't tell you, but thanks for highlighting this thumbsup.gif

Cheers for now,

Thanks a lot - I have spent a huge amount of time sourcing all the parts for the car, even travlleing to holland there and back in 24hrs! Every bush is brand new underneath, it has 9 brand new panels including two brand new original GM rear quarters and a genuine GM front wing, new shocks, new trim, new light units etc etc. it has been a real labour of love and Simon P is the right man for the job, takes his time, guides you through the tough decisions and advises you all the way.

We're almost there now, undretand that the radiator has come back from being re-cored and Simon P is just waiting for the brake calipers to come back to start on running the new brake lines.

No more pics at this time - though I will be seeing the car in approx 3 weeks time so should have more of an update then.

Excellent i have done a similar concourse job on a Mk2 Astra GTE took around 4 years and goes aswel as it looks you can find a few pics on the "say hello" section. its funny you should say that because ive just been contacted buy a guy in holland who has an epic amount of commodore parts for sale even has a website for it and ive just organized to nip over to pick a load of parts up from him. i'll be keeping an eye on this.

Have to say that this is another one of my compulsive threads that i read on a regular basis and have to say this is a lovely resto.

Full marks to all thise involved in making this happen, it really is a work of art.

More pictures please :thumbup

Mvh

John

Thanks a load John - it's been on the go now for 3 years and I'm hoping we're nearly there. Unfortunatley as winter is around the corner I don't think the car will be making an appearance this year now. I'm trying to source trim for the rain gutters - mines oxidized quite badly and as the alloy it's made of is very thin it's going to be hard to replace. I've been in touch with one of my contacts in Holland and they are trying to source these as well as the rear side window chromed clamp strips with rubber seal on. these hold the seal rubber on the front leading edge of the rear-side glass and form the 'B' post when the windows are closed.

Onwards and upwards! - or is that only the costs ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a load John - it's been on the go now for 3 years and I'm hoping we're nearly there. Unfortunatley as winter is around the corner I don't think the car will be making an appearance this year now. I'm trying to source trim for the rain gutters - mines oxidized quite badly and as the alloy it's made of is very thin it's going to be hard to replace. I've been in touch with one of my contacts in Holland and they are trying to source these as well as the rear side window chromed clamp strips with rubber seal on. these hold the seal rubber on the front leading edge of the rear-side glass and form the 'B' post when the windows are closed.

Onwards and upwards! - or is that only the costs wink.gif

Hey, ive just replied to your post on my thread in the "say hello"section, cars looking really sweet! who is your holland contact? just wondering if we use the same guy because if not the guy i use may be able to get your gutter trims.

Hey, ive just replied to your post on my thread in the "say hello"section, cars looking really sweet! who is your holland contact? just wondering if we use the same guy because if not the guy i use may be able to get your gutter trims.

I used Opel Classic Parts in Heerlen Holland. Got all the bushes there and my two original GM quarter panels. He makes brand new window rubbers for the car too which I have ready to go back in sometime soon. These are not the normal strip and rubber locking system seen in many other cars so be V careful if you decide to take these out(!). Your best bet is to call him to discuss. He's happy to send you a parts catalogue for a small price, but he doesn't have all the parts all of the time - though he can source if he doesn't have in stock. He might even be able to help with a Commy Axle. Guess you may be going V8 or something with higher output - typical is the 3.0 24v Senny setup. I have pics of this from a German mag and it looks awsome B)

Call me on 07888670054 if you want to discuss.

Great we have another one on the Forum - just love brining them back to top condition ;-)

Great progress :thumbup

Good motivation for me to get a move on with my Commodore :unsure:

Come on now - we have a Rekord here too now in Newbies section(Howie). Time to get cracking :thumbup

Here's the Wiper motor Arm which was basically useless. The Heavily rsuted ball that fits into the link shaft clip was very badly rusted. A mate of mine who's a skilled toolmaker has made a replacement. This needs to be finished off but here's where we are at the moment:

P15-10-09_191902.jpg

P15-10-09_191901.jpg

Now with new end ooooo errrr missus ;-)!

P15-10-09_1919.jpg

P15-10-09_191701.jpg

More to follow..... :blink:

I used Opel Classic Parts in Heerlen Holland. Got all the bushes there and my two original GM quarter panels. He makes brand new window rubbers for the car too which I have ready to go back in sometime soon. These are not the normal strip and rubber locking system seen in many other cars so be V careful if you decide to take these out(!). Your best bet is to call him to discuss. He's happy to send you a parts catalogue for a small price, but he doesn't have all the parts all of the time - though he can source if he doesn't have in stock. He might even be able to help with a Commy Axle. Guess you may be going V8 or something with higher output - typical is the 3.0 24v Senny setup. I have pics of this from a German mag and it looks awsome cool.gif

Call me on 07888670054 if you want to discuss.

Great we have another one on the Forum - just love brining them back to top condition ;-)

Come on now - we have a Rekord here too now in Newbies section(Howie). Time to get cracking thumbsup.gif

Ahh great, no we dont use the same guy. i wondered where you got your rear quaters and bushes! yes i think i'll ring for a catalogue A.S.A.P. i'll giv you a ring when your free just let me know. yes i have a '67 small block for it, im also up grading to Commo B/Diplomat B vented front discs. To be honest when i first saw your thread a few months ago i fell in love with the car i just had to have one, after the GTE i promised myself never again! i must say tho with yours in red and mine in miami blue they would look awesome together!

Im going accross to my parts guy in holland for a huge pick up in december, he's got me more or less everything i need, he's having a nightmare tracking me the Commo axles. then she's ready for stripping and dipping. Are you on the www.rekord-c-commodore-a.de forum?

I want detailed and frequent updateds on ur beast thats an order!

• 3 weeks later...

i'm back on with Simon's Commy again now, really going to blitz it. Engine and 'box in. Got all the brake pipes done, prop on, handbrake cable too. Re-bushed the entire front suspension (thanks to Simons Europe wide browsing) and fitting new everything else too. New fixings where i can.

Word of warning, anyone re-fitting front springs on a Commodore give me a shout, i've leant the hard way how to fit them, got a smacked in my mouth for my trouble, great. :rolleyes:

Simon's coming to see it this weekend so i'm sure do a proper update.

v7a1e0.jpg

29mloco.jpg

i'm back on with Simon's Commy again now, really going to blitz it. Engine and 'box in. Got all the brake pipes done, prop on, handbrake cable too. Re-bushed the entire front suspension (thanks to Simons Europe wide browsing) and fitting new everything else too. New fixings where i can.

Word of warning, anyone re-fitting front springs on a Commodore give me a shout, i've leant the hard way how to fit them, got a smacked in my mouth for my trouble, great. rolleyes.gif

Simon's coming to see it this weekend so i'm sure do a proper update.

v7a1e0.jpg

29mloco.jpg

Hi simon! lol, did you not used spring compressors? ive just got some lowering springs for mine, anything you can advise me on? lol. gonna bareshell mine next year just enjoying driving it at the min. The one your doing looks great! just got aload of parts from america and germany this week and fitting them tomorrow! cant wait!

Hi simon! lol, did you not used spring compressors? ive just got some lowering springs for mine, anything you can advise me on? lol. gonna bareshell mine next year just enjoying driving it at the min. The one your doing looks great! just got aload of parts from america and germany this week and fitting them tomorrow! cant wait!

I did try to use spring compessors to start off with but there is not enough clearance to allow for them, they either foul the spring surround on the beam or they foul the spot welded flange either side of the spring seat on the bottom wishone. I facbricated an internal puller but this slipped. If you're using lowered springs you'll have a much easier time, seat the spring in the beam and hook the lower part of the spring over the lip of the spring seat, then just jack up the lower wishbone, done.

Did you buy yours from a fellow called Kips?

I did try to use spring compessors to start off with but there is not enough clearance to allow for them, they either foul the spring surround on the beam or they foul the spot welded flange either side of the spring seat on the bottom wishone. I facbricated an internal puller but this slipped. If you're using lowered springs you'll have a much easier time, seat the spring in the beam and hook the lower part of the spring over the lip of the spring seat, then just jack up the lower wishbone, done.

Did you buy yours from a fellow called Kips?

Ahh thanks for that, its not too different from my dads mk1 cavs by the look of it. Yep yep! its kips old black one, shes a bit better now than she was when i got it off him its all MOT'd everything that was broken all works and been replaced, im just getting everything i need for it then mocking it up and then she's getting bareshelled and acid dipped. I wouldnt mind coming down and having a look at your red one at some point!