Opel Commodore Project Underway

Rab

Any idea as to what colour it will be painted? There was a massive OE range back in the day.

That brings up a very interesting question. The car had, as you have seen every inch painted red, but the paint code on the vin was metallic green (not my preferred choice).

Simon P took the colour off the inside of the boot lid and had it matched, so the car is going to be the original bright red again.

We have to assume that there was a special order for a red coupe which was a green shell when it came off the production line, but which was then resprayed before it was fully assembled. This must be the case as when the car was stripped every inch of the shell and panels were sprayed red without the slightest hint of overspray. The car had one small (very small!)patch of weld on the sill before we started all this, so it is a very original and solid car.

The sills are spot welded together inside the doors and are four(4) panels joined together, so very strong indeed.

Thanks for asking about the colour

I'm really enjoying working on Simon's Commy, makes an interesting change, he came by last weekend to discuss the next step paint scheme was at the top of the list of decisions to make as well as the power plant.

ANSWER....

See pictures of yellow Commy above...

OK,i'll get my coat....

Hi Stonymanta.......nice commodore project you got going there, those chrome wheels really look the part

After selling my first Manta 'A' back in the seventies, I came close to buying a later, blue metalic commadore, like Bendy's car shown above. Was about 2 grand at the time, just could not raise the cash.

Still have a strong interest for all commodore models seen at shows.

Have loads of pics on my pc and some dealer sales brouchers.

Will watch this build with interest, in the hands of Simon P. :thumbup

2ly0is9.jpg

One of my boys doing his stuff

o8gy20.jpg

Pretty rotten but.................

4sog8j.jpg

2yy1nxz.jpg

t4zotv.jpg

...... Simon came through with some new panels. The chassis repair was fabricated by myself, it was completely missing after blasting.

3492yxc.jpg

Inner sill gone........

j6nad4.jpg

......So i had to make new repair sections

2dkmnpd.jpg

Outer skin of the A pillar was rusty so i cut it out and fabbed a new repair panel. The footwell was toast so new custom piece was fabricated which allows more room in the kickpanel for "stuff".

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Quick update. I have the wheels being refurbed locally and should have these back within the next week. I'll post pics just as soon as I have them back.

I will be starting to strip the front subframe soon and will be looking to get the parts blasted and powdercoated/enameled.

Sorry no pics on this post - I know they make it much more interesting.

Also gather there's another Commy A Coupe GS/E owner on the forum now - would be good to get in touch....

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics to update the thread.

2r2yjqx.jpg

Shell being delivered after being blasted again and etched.

54g8i8.jpg

Coming in the door

11hcgms.jpg

2582vrq.jpg

All seams sealed

2i1kuwj.jpg

I'm trying a new under body material. Its a rubberised product. It is the same product used by VW Renault etc. Even smells like rubber.

33wmp0y.jpg

Engine off the engine builders, just fitted in his Wifes 106.

• 2 months later...

Hi All

A quick update.

Engine refurb underway and should be finished by Mid-May - fingers crossed.

Whole Bodyshell and panels now in primer:

CopyofDSCN7245.jpg

CopyofDSCN7239.jpg

CopyofDSCN7240.jpg

We have tracked down the original colour for the car which is Cardinal Red. This is being mixed and I should have a sample through the post shortly so I can give the go ahead to paint - :D

The Bonnet though was a bit rusty <_< at the rear of the frame and has gone to SPL in Dudley for dipping and e-coating. It aint cheap, but you dont get too many Commodore/Rekord bonnets kicking around these days. Here's the rusty bits :

CopyofDSCN7169.jpg

CopyofDSCN7175.jpg

CopyofDSCN7176.jpg

Suspension Components are being de-rusted - see my entry on Rust Removal in Basic Tech Help section....

I have delivered one batch of parts to a local powder coater for the full treatment and the rest will be following when I get these back from SPL. Should be picking up the first of these next Tuesday.

Here's a picture of the dissassembled front subframe before de-rusting started:

CopyofDSCN7145.jpg

More pictures soon - hopefully ;)

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guy - Yes it would be very nice to see the car again - good to know that it's moving along nicely. - Got any pics or are you saving it as a suprise for Billing?

Thanks Stradacab - Glad you think so - it took us almost a month to find out what the colour should be - it's the original Cardinal Red. Car is now being (rapidly) built up by Simon P - going over this weekend to see progress. It's looking really fantastic and I'm pleased as punch :D:D

looks awesome in paint. that last pic reminds me of the general lee in mid flight, lol. just minus the door numbers.(and some wheels). but tbh, saw this several times while mr P was doing some work on my kadett, and i can honestly say its going to turn out to be a quality motor when its finished, after all thats going into it.

look forward to seeing it one day when its complete. :rolleyes: