Opel Commodore Project Underway

Rab

OK, may be this needs to be somewhere else moderators(?), but in the mean time here are some pictures of my Commie starting the road back to full health over at Suffolk County Manta's:

Pictures are progress to date in no particular order:

DSCN6113.jpg

DSCN6079.jpg

DSCN6081.jpg

DSCN6115.jpg

DSCN6116.jpg

DSCN6117.jpg

DSCN6125.jpg

DSCN6134.jpg

DSCN6136.jpg

DSCN6140.jpg

DSCN6144.jpg

DSCN6145.jpg

DSCN6148.jpg

DSCN6149.jpg

DSCN6198.jpg

DSCN6202.jpg

DSCN6203.jpg

This is after spending three solid days working on the car (mostly my own efforts) - though expert advice from Simon and his team helped enormously!

Enjoy [:D]

Cheers,

Simon.

1987 2.0 GTE Hatchback

1971 Opel Commodore Coupe

Old Mantas never die, they just get faster !

Simon,man after me own heart,stuff the body work,lets go straight to wheels and get them on first lol.I do like these cars,not that you see many,can you tell us what you've got planned?Good luck mate,look forward to watching this one.

Paul Ansell omoc 5963 (Erdington Birmingham) 10 year manta project - NEARLY DONE!!

Thanks All for your comments and encouragement [:D][:D]

I'm entrusting the bodywork to Simon P and his crew as I don't have space or time to complete.

As for the car's final fit out it's going to be as near to original as we can get, except replacing the 2.5 with a Senator 3.0 and 4 Speed Auto instead of the 3 currently fitted - I'm aiming to utilise as much of the original engine ancillaries as possible so that it looks as close to the original as we can manage. This depends on whether the manifolds all line up and to what extent we can reuse the original Bosch 'D' Jetronic fuel injection system (this is the first of it's type used commercially by Bosch and works using points) Someway before 'L'came along!

The Shell will be blasted next to expose what I hope is not too many repairs required.....well see how far the tin worm has got....

Oh the car will be in it's original 'red' colour and have a black vinyl roof.

Check out you tube for some very bad 'stunt driving' by Charles Bronson in 'Cold Sweat' to see the Commie in action - but because they have used a wide angle lens the car looks V narrow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpT3VY8zlmk

Cheers,

Simon.

1987 2.0 GTE Hatchback

I was (drunkenly) speaking to a guy in essex thats got a commodore coupe sitting in his garage. Apparently he ran out of steam whilst fitting a v8 about 10 years ago. It sounded tempting so I got his number. Anyone want it???

loving the resto BTW. Looks like a slimmed down detroit muscle car! Sweet!

Cheers,

signature.jpg

Pass me the gun and ask me again....

OMOC 6095

I've had the pleasure of seeing this car close up,i moved it on the back of the Bedford! this really is one RETRO COOL car.

Simon and i deliberated about how this should be finnished (Mr Peckham suggested a Caddy LS1 V8 engine) and i think Simon has the right balance,keep it looking standard as much as possible even under the bonnet but 'warm it up' and modernise it.

I'm sure it will be 'one 'ell of a car' when done not just to look at but to drive as well,you can get 200 bhp of a twelve valve Senny engine with a liitle work and this Commy wieghs half what a Senny does and they did nearly 160 mph!!!

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

More info for the Propeller Heads amongst us [;)]

The Opel Commodore A was manufactured from 1967 to 1971, based on the Rekord C. After having offered a Rekord-6 powered by a 2.2 L engine since 1963, Opel in 1967 launched the Commodore as a more up-scale version of the Rekord. The Commodore was initially available with the known 2.2 L-six or a larger 2.5 L engine developing 120 PS (118.4 hp/88.3 kW) with single carburettor. Body styles comprised a two-door or four-door sedan and a two-door hardtop coupé. In September 1967 the sporty Commodore GS offering 130 hp (96 kW) from a double-carburettor 2.5 L-six was introduced.

For model year 1969, the 2.2 L-six was dropped and the optional 2-speed Powerglide automatic was abandoned in favor of Opel's new 3-speed automatic transmission.

From September 1969, the base 2.5 L-engine was pumped up to 120 PS (118.4 hp/88.3 kW); at the same time, both remaining engines received hydraulic lifters for smoother running, a new exhaust system und six crankshaft bearings. The handbrake lever was moved from its position under the dash to a location between the front seats and the fuel tank was enlarged from formerly 55 to 70 litres.

An even more sporty model than the GS, the Commodore GS/E, debuted in March 1970. It had a 2.5 L engine equipped with Bosch D-jetronic fuel injection system developing 150 PS (110 kW), which gave the car a top speed of 197 km/h (123 mph). The Commodore GS/E also had a career in motorsports, with a car prepared by Steinmetz. In April 1970 a Commodore with a detuned and carburetted 2.8 L-six giving 145 PS (143 hp/106.6 kW) followed (GS 2800).

156.330 Commodore A were built, including 2.574 GS and GS/E.

My car is a very late GS/E model circa 1971.

Cheers,

Simon.

1987 2.0 GTE Hatchback

ANORAK!id="size5">

You mentoned the Stienmetz prepared race version,these cars had the straight six enlarged to three litres and fueled by three double Weber Carbs,this gave these 'Commy's' over 300 bhp! and in race trim they wieghed 1070 KG,as you can imagine they 'went', infact they where apparently the scurge of other saloon car teams all over Europe.

Pity they never made to these shores,perhaps they might be eligable for a Historic modified saloon class,this would give the Crapi's a fright!

Keep saying you should do a Stienmetz replica.....

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

• 8 months later...
What a beautifully shaped rear quarter panel...may buy one on hang on my lounge wall!!! ps I assume the old ECU is fitted with valves and transistors!!!!

Yes those are great looking panels - 'tho a trip to the Netherlands to collect them both means it wasn't exactly cheap...... but it will be very well worth it in the end.

Haven't dared to open the old ECU yet, but will no doubt have to at some point