ASCONA!

stradacab

I thought it only fitting to post the "finished article" pictures with the car at the lineup at Billing, a nice final end to the thread.

I've realised that there is no such thing as a light restoration if you are doing a full repaint, the work is in the strip, refurbish and refit. It doesn't matter if you are welding in a 2" of a 12" plate, the prep and work is virtually the same.

Of course there are jobs to do, the voltage reg is not working, it still needs a green tint screen, carb rebuild, wheels, washer bottle is wrong and one of the headlamp wiper motors is running constantly (currently unplugged)- there's always someting to do to improve it!

Looking forward to the rest of the show season this year in it, it is a great drive and made the trip to Billing and back in some pretty hot and stop/ start traffic without fault. They don't make 'em like that any more considering it only had an oil change, air cleaner and two miles up the dual carriageway before being driven all the way to Billing.

I'm now in that lonley "between projects" period where you are relieved to be at the end, tired, skint but I feel a bit lost with nothing to do at night......

The house could do with some decorating, I think I'll go on holiday then decide what to do.... Finish Darrens 400r?, replace the sunroof on SGH,remove the vinyl roof and replace the doors?, start on the pre-facelift GT/J?.........

AsconaComplete2.jpg

Asconacomplete1.jpg

Asconacomplete4.jpg

Asconacomplete3hdp.jpg

Thanks to everyone that voted for it in the concours, I reckon second was pretty good considering the standard of the competition, and they did look absolutley superb as a pair together

Thanks to everyone that voted for it in the concours, I reckon second was pretty good considering the standard of the competition, and they did look absolutley superb as a pair together

They did mate, a lovely pair of Ascona's. Nice to see them there and to meet you too. Thanks for the mudflaps!!

Dave

• 2 months later...

I've left the Ascona out in the rain for a few weeks cause the Strada has been in the garage drying out (I know, sacriledge!!)

I forgot to refit the Bonnet release cable grommet so the passenger footwell has got sodden. Cock it!

So I have swapped them round and put the Ascona back in the dry. Thought I'd better get on with the details I never did due to the Billing rush. I've replaced the voltage regulator with one of those semiconductor jobs so that should fix that.

Have had it up on the jack and started to clean off the overspray and re hammerite and underseal the floors. I also need to waxoyl the sills and box sections to protect the new metal.

I've been to 6 odd shows and had great fun in it. Weather has been so pants last few weeks I'm considering taking the tax off all of 'em and laying up for the winter

• 8 months later...

If you saw Rapierdave's post about The Berkeley Classic Show last week you will have seen that the Ascona is now taxed and on the road for the summer. The torrential rain at the show was not exactly a good start but in between downpours the car actually received quite a bit of attention (which was nice)

I have some small jobs to complete, the kind of detail stuff that didn't get done in the rushed run up to Billing last year. When I uncovered the car I noticed that the brake limiting valve was leaking- all over the newly painted chassis leg! :angry: Th epaint doesn't seem to be too badly damaged, I am hoping it will harden back off and I can re-polish it. I have burgled the one off the GT/J (it ain't gonna need it for a while!) Have to see how this one fairs.

Also, I managed to source a green tint windscreen from Drew on here (courtesy of Rapierdave's courier service) so I have taken the old, cracked, de-laminating and chipped screen out and CAREFULLY fitted what seeems to be the last windscreen in the country! Phew!

You can just see the crack I made fitting it at the offside bottom corner (In my defense it is a Manta screen and never really fitted properly anyway)

IMG_3360.jpg

Ellis seems to be developing a welcome interest in helping me with things now

IMG_3362.jpg

Got it in with the help of the wife, then realised I have no screen sealer in stock, have had to order some from Frost's and so have left the finishers out til I get that through the post....

Other jobs will be a conversion to electronic ignition that paulmanta is helping me with and replacing the shrunken door seals with new ones. All being well the car will be at Billing this year again.

Screen sealer ?

Just clean the rubber with hot water and soap and get rid of all the old sealer and then use plenty of the normal clear waxoyl all over the rubber, then fit it to the screen, then apply lots of waxoyl to the car, then more waxoyl to the screen rubber and slip it in WITH the plastic beading fitted.

The wax soaks into the rubber and puffs it up after a while and it wont leak. None of my screens leak and i never use sealer only lots of waxoyl.

Shrunken door seals....Waxoyl.

Honestly, its better at restoring rubber than it is at stopping rust.

Screen sealer ?

Just clean the rubber with hot water and soap and get rid of all the old sealer and then use plenty of the normal clear waxoyl all over the rubber, then fit it to the screen, then apply lots of waxoyl to the car, then more waxoyl to the screen rubber and slip it in WITH the plastic beading fitted.

The wax soaks into the rubber and puffs it up after a while and it wont leak. None of my screens leak and i never use sealer only lots of waxoyl.

Shrunken door seals....Waxoyl.

Honestly, its better at restoring rubber than it is at stopping rust.

Oh that was a good tip, i have searched for this for some time now. Back in the day a old Volvo guy i knew used it on his 242 turbo GT, and with great results. Unfortunatly he passed away some years ago, and i never had a chance finding out what product he used. The great thing was that the rubber seals never dried out after applying the thing! I have tried several products, including Alaska Silicone rubber seal applyant, but the rubbers i used them on eventually dried out, and ended up looking worse than when i started !

Do you have a link, as this product is not for sale in Denmark, we only have WD40 :)

• 2 months later...

Dave and I went to a show today, it was called Summer Classics at Westcott Farm in Easter Compton. It was worth a trip cause it was only 10 minutes down the road.

As is often the way when you go to something expecting nothing, you are plesantly surprised! It's a 2 day event and you can camp if you want, on a farm but with large gravel hardstanding, concrete roads and a big central arena. My pics are a bit crap I'm afraid but it had a great autojumble and some bargains to be had at the trade stands, plenty for the kids and a big selection of American, 60's. 70's and 80's stuff there along with a big display of bikes. The good thing about this is it is only about a mile off the M5 so easy to get to as well. Well worth a look in future.

This will deffo be an event for the calendar next year.

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

Then we got invited to a mates barbecue this evening, had a good chat, a game of cards and the good lady to drive us home due to a imbibing a few sips of Heineken!!

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

All in all a great classic weekend- well you gotta use 'em ain't ya?!

• 1 year later...

She's back!!

IMG_0982_zps33d227ce.jpg

After a year in hibernation the Ascona is going to see service this year. First official engagment is the Bristol Calssic Car show on the 20th and 21st of April. This is the first time the OMOC has been represented there (I think) so the SW section hope to do all Manta owners proud with a display of Ascona, Manta SR and 400r. If you can make it along it will be great to see you.

And of course the big one- Billing!- surley it cant piss down this year as well?

I have touched up a couple of stone chips and have let some door seal into the front door surrounds. They had shrunk by about 4 inches and didn't sit home at the top so there was loads of wind noise. Much better now.

Also changed the back bumper- the original one had gone a bit white with age and I had a better one in stock (it might have been off the GT/J but I'll worry about that in 2 years time!) and put the silver tape on.

Next job is this....

IMG_0983_zps42b2b9c0.jpg

A mysterious dent than NO ONE knows anything about atall. I was so upset when I uncovered it. I shouldn't really complain because I get to store two vehicles undercover at my parents house totally free of charge so I shouldn't be ungrateful. I couldn't really own three classics without the benefit of the storage so I'll just have to hope the man from Dentmaster can work his magic tomorrow and get it out.

I intend to strip and clean the carb to get it running better and the engine bay could do with some painting of components so I'll tart that up when I have time.

Looking forward to a good season.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

MOT time, passed with advisory for a blowing front pipe. Need to get two now cause need one for the GT/J anyway

image.jpg1_zpsgodrhzrq.jpg

Back on the drive at home now awaiting a good clean

image.jpg2_zpsc1ysoyeo.jpg

Taxed tonight for 6 months and off to our first show of the year in Chippenham tomorrow

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread , lovely restoration. Hope to start mine this winter ! Interestingly you mention light restoration. That's what I am thinking mine will be............ I am thinking it should be easier than doing bodywork mods for my 400r and mantzel kits v8 conversion.  I plan to keep the car standard, perhaps lowered , the car has the latter bumpers and the front lower valance . Interesting to see both cars with the subtle differences. Both lovely , mine is the same colour as Daves. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...