ASCONA!

stradacab

Received the door glass weather strips today so have fitted all but one, (ran out of time and got a bit tired) That's the last piece of external trim to fit apart from the plates and the windscreen.

And I've wired up the rear fog lamp too.

Coming along well now, the "purist" in me likes the look of fatter side walls on the tyres, the 15s are just too skinny imho.

The suspension WILL drop itself, do a few miles ane re-measure and you will be amazed how far it settles.

I do still have a front spoiler for an ascona, as well as a spare front bumper/spoiler and some other bits and bobs.

Did you know that your bronze car the Merc and this Ascona all show up on Google maps new street view, quite cool.

Coming along well now, the "purist" in me likes the look of fatter side walls on the tyres, the 15s are just too skinny imho.

Dammit Paul, I think you're right, that was my concern. On a classic car you expect to see a certain amount of tyre to give the whole thing balance.

Reckon I'll go 15's for now just cause the 13's need to be refinished anyway, see if I get used to it. I can always go back.

Edited by stradacab

Yes definatly 15's with a bit of a drop, 13's have too much tyre wall. Sweet project, I have respect for the guys that get up and do it as opposed to the majority who seem to spend their time dreaming and talking about doing it, well done sir!

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite the finished product but thought I would update. Amazing how long the tiny details take to sort and fettle so it all works right.

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

Needs a mega clean and polish, wiper blades, washer bottle and front wheels fitting.

Tucked in the garage now to do some welding. I could have sworn the legs were perfect when I bought it. Standing two years has caused the drives side to blow. Strange really, the NS one is fine.

I have to rebuild the carb and give it a big service and tune. I know the rear axle is whining badly but that will have to wait til after Billing.

Had a great day today, the wife was not at work so after I went for a haircut and breakfast with Ellis I had half a day on the car. Amazing how much you get done when you aren't limited to a couple of hours in the evening

Borrowed Dads trolley jack to get some proper height and decent space beneath

Cut the outside off with the intention of plating either side

IMG_1880.jpg

Soon became apparent that to do a proper job best bet was to use one of the swan neck repair section, so up into the loft...

IMG_1884.jpg

Unluckily as it was the drivers side I had to take off the tie arm and drop the exhaust. Because the rot spread up the inside to where the steering coloumn comes through the bulkhead the only way was to remove the bottom arm and steering u.j. to get enough grinder space.

IMG_1881.jpg

Cut away to the inner strengthening member then cleaned up the surrounding metal

IMG_1886.jpg

The swan necks are handed but you can only get one side (the nearside) so spent a couple hours fettling and welding shaping cause they are quite a rough fit. Much better than trying to make something up though and soon had it ready to weld on. Plus the corrosion went beyond the repair sections so I had to do a couple of grafts before fitting anyway

Both panels covered in weld thru primer, went to pub, came home and welded it all on. No pictures cause I'm tired and forgot, will post tomorrow. Gave the outside a coat of self etch primer and I'll underseal tomorrow, then starts the job of fitting it back up.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate working under pressure but time is getting tight.

Finished all the welding (that I could find!!) and put it back together with the 15" ATS's for now, they're the only tidy wheels I have and the tyres are a) Legal and b)Don't have flat spots from standing for 15 years.

Bled the brakes only to find that the servo was sucking air through from the pedal side, luckily I had a spare that Chris Thomas gave me in a load of brake buts, quick flash of paint and went throught the whole hassle of changing servo and re bleeding brakes....That's that sorted now!

I reckon both the rear wheel bearings are knackered or the diff is sick cause it is really noisy back there when you spin the wheels up. I don't have time/ equipment to do it myself, I'll get Ade to sort it when he does the MOT. He reckons rear bearings are really unusual to go but wondered if all that time standing has caused them to corrode? We'll see.

I'm fitting the radio tonight and finishing the interior, carpets, console etc

First time I've looked at this thread, and that looks a lovely Ascona, they were pretty cars. On the tyre debate, I'm with Paul and James, prefer the 13" wheels, the 15" ones look a bit wrong, but they are nice wheels all the same.

Look forward to seeing it at Billing.

Dave

I bet it is rear bearings that have gone noisy, I had an old 1800 that sat for ages and the rear went loud when I started to use it, I swopped out the halfshafts with some I had here with new bearings and some new diff oil and it went like new again.

The trick is the have the halfshafts with the bearings on already, then its a quick job to swop. the bearings can be interesting to remove from the shaft.

To get the old rusted halfshaft out easily use a big hammer and an old tyreless rim bolted to the hub.

Remove the road wheel, drum and the brake shoes. then using the holes in the hub remove the 4 nuts and bolts from the backing plate, * you may be able to do this without removing the brake shoes but I normally take then out and re lube the edges anyway, helps to get a better brake and stops squeaks *

You dont have to remove the handbrake cables from the back plates regardless of how you choose to roll with the shoes thing.

Now its all loose, bolt the sacrificial wheel to the hub and beat the back with a big hammer all being well the shaft should slide out with the bearings on it.

Only do one side at a time, have the side you are working on higher than the other side or all the oil in the halfshaft tube will piss out all over your drive.

Once you have it out remove the little shims that have either come out on the back of the bearings or are still stuck in the tube.

You are supposed to put them back in and measure the depth of the new bearing and faff with them generally but I normally put the whole lot back together with what ever came out, check the assembly is flat to the end of the tube and bolt it back up, read the Haynes for the proper method but I have never had trouble with endfloat on shafts.

Once you have done both sides remove the diff cover and remove the sludge in the diff, clean the cover, paint it red or something and put it back on, fill with good stuff, Syntrax worked well for all mine and none ever got hot or exploded.

Drive on, it will be fine.

I took one of the halfshafts out of the spare axle tonight to try the swap. Spare axle bearings are noisy too! (it has been stood on end for numerous years and in my garden for another 9 months) shame cause that was a brilliant idea, but no one is close enough with another spare to get the halfshafts out of.

Will get a new set of bearings ordered ready for Monday and get Ade to do them, I don't fancy trying to press the things on myself!

Edited by stradacab

ah balls!! Don't know how long Martin had it standing (may have been off his white exclusive so could well be a fair few years...

(I assume you mean the one I delivered over in April...

rear axle is only thing I don't have spare! :(

ahwell Ade will sort I'm sure

Get the other halfshaft out and give him both to put the new bearings on first, then swop them over to the axle in the car.

The bearings are the worst part of the job, the lock ring is a press fit, the bearings pull off but usually need huge force, the new bearings press on and the lock ring presses on too. You need a tall press to fit it all in and selection of bits of thick iron sheet to act at a flange to pull/push against.

I have several sets of halfshafts out of axles and a set with no bearings on ready to press new ones on when needed. it saves lots of time. When you need to do it you can guarantee you will be in a hurry.

MOT'd!

The last tax disc ran out 1st May 1997 so after 13 years and 1 month DFH 744T finally returns to the road!!

IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

I still have a major problem with the rear wheel bearings and trying to get a set. Paulmanta is helping me out but time is tight. I need to take the halfshafts out this weekend and take them back to Ade to press on, but not much point without a kit!!

Glad the bearings got sorted, JohnR told me Chris was on the case for your bearings when I phoned him today (just after I spoke to you)

I am still going to try and get a couple of pairs in stock too though, its odd I had none left.

Looking good by the way. I am trying to "do" Billing ! honest I would love to see both Asconas side by side in the concours. Tight voting and proper competition !