Mancona hatch now Finished!! Aug 2017

Kevin Abbott

I love the look of these cars,i would love to convert my coupe to an Ascona front end. I have always liked the Ascona. Are the parts that hard to get to do the conversion.

Cheers

Raymond.

I have all the parts to do the conversion for sale.

It takes a day to do and the hardest part is getting the manta front nose cone off clean.

Then cut 6" off the front of each chassis leg

Weld Ascona front end on

Bolt the other parts on

I love manconas

I have all the parts to do the conversion for sale.

It takes a day to do and the hardest part is getting the manta front nose cone off clean.

Then cut 6" off the front of each chassis leg

Weld Ascona front end on

Bolt the other parts on

I love manconas

I just sent you a message in the parts for sale,i am interested in the parts to do this,what price do you have in mind.

Cheers

Raymond.

Raymond PM replied to

My plans were to do the car a titanium colour with 1800 exclusive green glass ( that was the hardest stuff to find) and anthracite wheels.

Stock mint exclusive grey red piped interior

My little brother (26) now owns the car and as he's way younger than me I need to reign in some of his ideas!

Subaru blue and black wheels has been mentioned.

I will have to put my foot down as the car has nice clean lines and a crappy colour will spoil it.

Oh the subaru blue is very overused here in Denmark. And has been especially on the Mantas for many years. Ford blue metallic is also one of the more used colours.

Personally i have always loved the 70´s colour schemes before metallic was fasionable

Like this:

1984.jpg

But thats just me :) Everyone has their own ideas about styling and colouring of the Manta :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So a little update on the Mancona hatch.

It arrived at my workshop a little while ago now and after a good look over it i made up a list of a few parts required before i could get it up and running

Now that some of those parts are on their way to me i thought it was time to start workng on it.

So from this

photo.jpg

A day taking bits off has resulted in this

mancona%20(6).jpg

mancona%20(8).jpg

First job is to finish off the mounting of the calibra fuel tank and working out where the filer pipe and exhaust can run.

Then a bit of a tidy up of the boot under floor, followed by cleaning back the floorpan and treating/undersealing it all

With that done it should just be a case of running fuel and brake pipes and bolting everything back on :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So about time i updated this project again.

There's been a small delay (its less than a year so that's small right ;) ) since the last update as the mancona had to take a back seat (or corner of the workshop) due to both myself and Andrew being to busy to get together and work out a plan for progress on the shell.

I'd had the shell up on the spit and scraped back the under-seal followed by a poke around which revealed a bit more work than original thought

Both chassis legs had been patched in the past and while mostly solid were just starting to show rust poking through

Plus a few other bits that looked like they could do with a bit of attention while i was at it.

Mancona(10).jpg

So it was decided to replace both chassis rails, swan necks, and make jacking points to tie the rails to A pillars while it was all stripped and on the spit

This is what the inner rail looked like after the outer rail was removed and all the rust was cleaned off.

Mancona(12).jpg

New piece of inner rail grafted back on

Mancona(14).jpg

I also cleaned the floor down to bare steel

Mancona(13).jpg

Then treated it with several layers of Bilt Hambers Hydrate 80 when the welding is finished this will be covered in paint then stonechip

Mancona(15).jpg

I fitted the new rear outer chassis rail, then turned my attention to the swan neck.

It didn't look too bad from the outside

Mancona(16).jpg

But this was lurking inside

Mancona(17).jpg#

So the rusted section was removed, the floor above cleaned and treated

Mancona(18).jpg

Then a new inner fabricated

Mancona(19).jpg

Swan neck outer going on, bit more to fabricate

Mancona(20).jpg

All finished off and cleaned up

Mancona(21).jpg

With the chassis rail in the Floor is chopped out

Mancona(22).jpg

New rear floor in and Jacking point with reinforcing plate to tie chassis rail to A-pillar Mancona(23).jpg

More to follow (as long as i remember to take my camera to the workshop again)

• Like 2

Very good pics, I like the idea of the box section, very clever and the covers look like factory, did you make those?

The covers are from Leidinger-Tuning, they are not a perfect replica of the original rails but you'd be hard pressed to tell once they're on the car.

Mainly the lower part with the drain holes is a little wider, which actually helps as you can get the 40x40mm box section all the way down to the bottom

This gives a good solid place to jack on afterwards without bending the rail.

The 2 parts are made a little longer than needed so they can be trimmed down to fit you car.

For the £110 or so for the pair of rear rails and swan necks its worth it in time saving over having to fold up your own parts and weld them on.

It also looks a lot better when its all finished and looks original.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bit more progress.

NS rear chassis rail and jacking point are on

Mancona%2827%29.jpg

NS inner swan neck welded in and treated

Mancona%2828%29.jpg

NS Swan neck outers welded on and ground down

Mancona%2829%29.jpg

Oh and a little preview of something else for me to fit once i've finished putting he floors back in.

Mancona%2826%29.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...