1800 hatch weldathon

Robbie

My trusty hatch was hit in the osr quarter recently in a car park. No probs to knock the dent out but, whilst underneath, OH MY GOD!!!!!! Rampant rust all over the underside. The old girl was, strictly speaking, scrap but well you can't can you? So far, the front inner wings, front panel (inner and outer), front end of chassis legs and various other bits have been repaired/replaced. Now working on the tricky bits around the suspension mounting bolt on the chassis legs, totally shot through both sides, no surprises there then! Also had to replace a 2 foot section of the inner chassis leg on the nearside. All this has meant chopping the floorpans out to gain access so even more welding awaits there. When finished its all getting covered in stonechip and silver hammerite . Then it needs a respray. Then i need to get my B series GTE running. Then there's various jobs on the red GTE coupe that I keep putting off. Sigh.

Publicity Officer

Frustrated rock legend

• 2 weeks later...

Ha!!! I think I've finally finished the welding. The underside is now being re sealed, stonechipped and then several coats of silver hammerite. It may not be the prettiest job but at least theres some structural integrity under there now which there sure as hell wasnt before. Also doing a few other tidy up jobs as with it being my daily driver it tends to get ignored until something actually breaks which touch wood hasn't happened too much, not compared to the B and the GTE anyway.

Publicity Officer

Frustrated rock legend

• 3 months later...

I know just where you have been,hours and hours or grinding,cutting and welding then trying to make it look nice agian,but its satisfying knowing you look forward to years of driving without the dreaded yellow crayon at the MOT!

Got any photo's of work in progress and the finnished artical?

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.