project marmite

Christ

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't be too bad the ammount of welding I had done to it a few years back

Yes that is a vent on the inner wing. As I've got the polo heater all boxed in along the bulkhead and the scuttle panel vent blocked off (for cosmetic reasons mainly but it also stops water getting in) I need somewhere for it to pull fresh air in from - well that's the idea anyway, whether it does any good is another matter

• 1 month later...

It's alive again!!!!

Decided last week it was time to drop it back on it's wheels (first time in quite a few months) and get it fired up......

First problem the batery wasn't holding enough charge for long enough - even charging it up overnight the next day it could only turn the engine over for a limited period so I had to buy a new one

The petrol's been stood in the tank for a few years now is probably past it's best but as there wasn't much I just added a gallon of fresh, disconnected a fuel line and ran the pump to clear them of old stuff. Then emptied the carb fuel bowls and regulator filter of old fuel and cleaned all the jets just in case they had become gummed up.

After a while trying to start the engine I figured something wasn't right - took the plugs out and they were wet so assumed there was no spark. Checked the ECU was plugged in then noticed the earth wire wasn't connected

Fixed that but still nothing from the engine.

Checked for spark and it was very weak so cleaned the plugs but that didn't help - think it was something to do with them coming into contact with too much petrol while trying to start it (sure there's some technical term for it - not flooded). So I swapped them with some old plugs and it fired virtually straight away, slightly rough, with no oil pressure and then there was a pop it and stopped......

30nov083.jpg

oops

The O ring between the oil pump and oil cooler take-off plate had failed

Sorted that out by taking the take-off plate out.

Tried again and it fired up, stayed running and with good oil pressure.

It obviously needs the carbs balancing as the whole car is shaking on idle but I'm happy it's running again

One step closer to MOT....

Just a couple of videos to add (just click on the pics)

First off trying to get it started....

and then later with it running a bit better....

although I'm struggling to get the carbs balanced and mixture just right - thinking the cold air can't be helping

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics of the bodykit coming together.

Originally the arches overlapped the rear bumper and the skirts fitted over the top of the bottom of the arches, it looked OK but it was a bit of a bodge so to tidy it up I've cut the arches into several sections.

On the rear the top section bolts to the rear quarter, the bottom rear section is bonded to the back bumper and the bottom front section is boned to the end of the side skirts - it's much the same at the front except there's nothing attached to the front bumper.

Where i've cut the arches I've fibreglassed over the end to give a bit more rigidity to them and I've also had to do some filling where they were bolted to the car as they've sunk over the years.

Arches attached without sideskirt

11dec081.jpg

Other side with sideskirt

11dec083.jpg

11dec082.jpg

Front bumper after a bit of fibreglass/filler to blend the new lower part

11dec084.jpg

Although the bottom of the S15 bumper fits well I'm thinking the sticky-out bits in front of the wheels may be a little too wide - even with the planned 9" wheels in place, so I'm going to have to trim them down a bit.

I flicked down your pixs and my first thought of the last one was 'what the uck as he shuvved on the roof of that poor car' Then I noticed its the end plate from the rear spoiler.

Looking good now realy coming along will she be heading down to Billing??

• 10 months later...

Ducktail Chris? Didn't Baz suggest that one? lol

Still, looks good but must have the rear view of a Countach, lol

On a personal note, Kyle has bought a Nova and together we are going to get both cars sorted for next year. Welder coming this weekend so I can start doing the Manta's floor :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

A few people did suggest a ducktail but I wasn't sure until seeing this S13, so thought I'd have a go at making one.

good luck with the welding and the nova :thumbup

Gotta say i am loving the new boot spoiler i think it just looks so right on the car :thumbup

It has come out better than I expected, suprising how something so subtle actually works on this car. I'm in the process of blending it into the boot and spraying it - it looks good in metal from the pics but it was far from perfect

SP_A0268.jpg

Hello mate, nice to see the old bus taking a shape on again, I must say though that the years you have had that car this must be one of the longest ongoing Manta projects of all time ever, like we used to say............. It's never finished B):thumbup

Hrumph!!! Clive, mines been ongoing for 15 years...... :blink: Well, 22 if you include the time I had it on the road!

I must say though that the years you have had that car this must be one of the longest ongoing Manta projects of all time ever, like we used to say............. It's never finished B):thumbup

don't know what you mean - only bought it 14 years ago :o

like to think of it as more of an evolution over the years, hopefully getting better each time

and no, it'll never be finished.......

• 3 months later...