Pesky Coupe rear quarter windows!

Rob36

Hi all.  my rear quarter windows are giving me a bit of grief! The little chrome hinges have come away from the glass, which I intend to re-bond with tiger seal. Before I could manage it though I noticed that the rubber grommet that cushions where the open/shut lever passes through the glass at the rear of the window  has perished to mush, so there's a bit of play there now and horrible 'metal on glass' sounds when I open and shut the window. Anyone know the correct way to remove the lever from the window so I can replace the rubber? There's a crosshead screw there, but it's completely inaccessible due to the lever handle being directly above it!?

Hi 

Its been a while since I have done this and there is no special trick to it you just open the window catch and try various sizes or lengths of screwdriver and be careful the window doesn't fall out and scratch the quarter if the hinges are broken

Edited by mantadoc

Thanks for the reply Mantadoc. I guess there's a chance I'm missing something here, and it can be done as you're suggesting, but I just can't see how any screwdriver could access the screw effectively. The plastic handle for the catch is hinged directly above  via a metal bar that passes directly over the screw head - with no more than a couple of mil access space. I tried tapping the bar out to remove the plastic from but it's flared at either end and It was starting to widen the plastic as I knocked it through. Maybe a pic would be a good idea...

I expect you are right and are missing something like using a stubby screw driver or accessing the screw between the two plastic pieces that support the pin, there are two reasons you don't get questions answered on the net

1) So easy it's untrue

2) So complicated no one can be bothered to write it down once figured out

this definitely falls under number one.  No windows in mine at the moment but removal was a 5 minute job with unhooking the hinges from the B pillar being the only tricky bit   

ok dude. 

Ill add a couple of pics. Id already removed the window, that indeed was easy, especially as the hinges were free from the window already. The tricky bit is removing the catch from the pane. As you can see, you'd struggle to fit a stubby in there, and gaining sufficient purchase from between the plastic pieces is proving difficult. The metal bar is flared at the ends, and tapping it through is possible, but its widening the plastic as it passes though so will be loose when re-assembled. It's not as easy as you suggested doc! However, I do need to solve this problem, so Im gonna persist - as getting my windows right is more important to me than risking looking a like a nob on this forum!

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4785/3zwhso74_jpg.htm

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4785/homieiei_jpg.htm

I see what you mean

The only way to get that out is probably to put a packing piece between the plastic bits to support them and press / drive it through 

I take it that means the external cover bit is split / rusting ?

Re flared ends - not made to be removable so I would say it is time to drill one end to remove the flare

and use a bolt or roll pin if the original is loose when put back in

Edited by mantadoc

Thanks for the reply doc - told you it wasnt straightforward!

The external bit is actually not too bad, but Im fairly sure that it locks together with the interior bit with the screw being the only free moving part. I need to remove it because the cushioning rubber has fallen apart so the whole thing has play and is grinding with the window pane. i need to remove it to insert rubber washers/spacer in there. Both sides unfortunately. Id thought about using a bolt to replace the bar - but a roll pin might provide a neater solution. Thanks for your patience dude.

ok cool. Ive just done a search and can get a sheet of 1.5mm viton. I reckon I need 2x outer washers at 1.5mm thickness, plus a spacer at 3mm thickness to sleeve the stem that passes through the window. Ill cut my own and double up the centre sleeve from the 1.5. Thanks again. Its been emotional. ;)

Hi Rob, check out this link, don't know if Coupe openers are same as hatch though....

The only way to get at the screw properly is to knock out the split pin thingy, these dudes from Reprotec are great, but I didn't bother trying to put the split pins back in I just used some 4mm (I think) bolts & little lock nuts.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Set-Ausstellfenster-Lager-Dichtscheiben-Opel-Kadett-Manta-Ascona-Rekord-B-C-D-/261135546176?hash=item3ccce43740

Ah thats brilliant!! Nice one Plumster! It is the same - and its just been bought! :))

Ive just noticed that the same people do replacement hinges - but ones that can be bonded to both sides of the pane rather than just the outer side. Anyone used them? Are they worth a punt?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Quarterlight-Bracket-Rubbers-Opel-Ascona-A-B-Manta-B-Corsa-A-Rekord-D-E/352055697105?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Edited by Rob36
additional link

Sorted!

The quarterlight windows are now sporting the reprotec lever fixings and hinges - work a treat tbh! I went down Plumbsters route and used little bolts to attatch the plastic handle, I tried the rollpins, but tbh I was very worried about bending the fixing or even breaking the window as I drove them in. Bolts will be easier to disasemble too if I ever need to.

Thanks for the helps chaps!

xqrvzhvm.jpg

• Like 2