Need help with legal paperwork

Sven Hinka

First of all, I'm back here(yeah, it's been a while since the Manta giveaway - thanks again Mr Carlos for helping me getting rid of the rusty Manta CC). It took me a while to build up the courage to ask you guys for help but eh, who saves a car today, tommorow may save a life. Also, my apologies if it's in the wrong section. 

Anyway, guys, I need help. I mean BIG help. 
Here are the facts:
Bought recently a Opel Manta A off eBay. No engine, headlights, tailights, interior, just a shell with windows. I don't even have the keys. Seller lied about the paperwork stating that he was "awaiting V5". Now....he lied, that's life. The car is actually Portuguese registered. So I have no paperwork, keys or reg plates. However, I had a bit of luck and found on the windshield something like a MOT reminder and another small bit of paper with her reg number(insurance perhaps?). Also have the chassis plate in pristine condition, so I hope something can be done starting from these two.

So I'm asking: is anyone here Portuguese or familiar with the Portuguese legislation? I simply want to, somehow, get her paperwork back. I am aware that it's gonna be a big hassle, but I'm willing to try and save the car.

Any help is more than welcomed

2 minutes ago, mickappy said:

u need a v5 from a scrap car change id, 😉.  easy on an old car,  not ideal i know.

I've been thinking about this, but I immediately hit a problem: mine is LHD. Or should I find a rusty one kinda anywhere, as long as it has paperwork?

If this was me and it's only my opinion, firstly I would contact e bay and see what legal obligations I have regarding winning an auction and payment responsibilities when the seller was less than honest in his description, then after I had these facts at hand I would make the decision from there if i still want to persue the car and seen it as a great opportunity all be it with a little hastle getting it home.

regards.

23 minutes ago, Mike. said:

If this was me and it's only my opinion, firstly I would contact e bay and see what legal obligations I have regarding winning an auction and payment responsibilities when the seller was less than honest in his description, then after I had these facts at hand I would make the decision from there if i still want to persue the car and seen it as a great opportunity all be it with a little hastle getting it home.

regards.

I bought it from UK and have it in the underground parking. So basically, the thing is done. I know, got quite excited and lost my head a bit.
However, I have to admit, it's the best A I ever saw in a while. Bodywork needs only 2 panels for welding and the rest is only regular fiddling before spraying it.

Link with the car's rust spots and any area of interest: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPm4O9sCUjKlRAGRlHK8t1H9wLN4MAyUMYICvk4

Edited by Sven Hinka
car pics

8 hours ago, mantadoc said:

Plus this is illegal and can land you in jail 

8 hours ago, mantadoc said:

Plus this is illegal and can land you in jail 

like i said not ideal, been done a 1000 times on theclassic car scene.  just think of it as a reshell 🤐.  

• Like 1

Yeah also illegal without a new shell or a q plate 

any new owner would love finding they had bought a ringer 

That said DVLA relaxed its stance a number of years back to allow built up vehicles to be allocated age related plates with evidence such as provided by clubs

Not sure if that still needed NOS shell but reasonably sure bikers have done it legally with old Harley frames 

And on a manta how the hell can you prove its a ringer if you change all the VIN numbers and plates etc, engine for example is another CIH engine???

I think this is a can of worms but i would speak to the guy first and tell him your going to report him (is he living in the UK?) If you contact the DVLA and its a stolen car then you will get arrested so try speak to the seller first or you could rattle a huge wasps nest in these situations.

I've been here before bought car with no I'd  called ducks helpline the were great my car came from Australia tr7shell never welded anyway I had a plate with them paid £25. They gave me a s reg plate the worst case they give you a q plate but can be sorted 

• Like 1

The date of manufacture is stamped in every panel

Try and pass it off as a car made before it's panels were stamped, as people do to get free tax, and it's easy to spot.

However, we shouldn't be trying to provide a how to guide on fraud/ ringing for obvious reasons not least making it easier to steal members cars.  Even then doing it because you can get away with it is not a reason to do it

2 minutes ago, peter evans said:

I've been here before bought car with no I'd  called ducks helpline the were great my car came from Australia tr7shell never welded anyway I had a plate with them paid £25. They gave me a s reg plate the worst case they give you a q plate but can be sorted 

Honesty wins the day

I bet you drove them quackers 

We are not promoting 'ringing' we are now telling people how to spot a ringer. 

Panel dates, i cant recall seeing every panel but if you use an ID from the same year that is that loop filled too.

"stay tuned folks as next week we cover 'cut n shuts' ha ha"

• Like 2

Ok, so...
As far as I could understand, the thing goes like this: assemble the car, make it roadworthy, put an MOT on it based on the chassis number, ring DVLA about it, fill a form(V55/5 if I remember corectly) and pay an amount of money.

Did I missed anything?

I no a bit about this subject , legal no . If any body goes down that road , bitter concerquences . 4 crimes straight away , fraud deception and theft , and perjury , and one other planning and excuting , and the c p s will throw the book at the so called idear. First offence , will not be a fine or probation. Prison sentence at her m p. You will never have the police of your backs . The perjury and fraud parts are the big part. And falsifying . And that just the start, a criminal record. For wot because you are des pride for help yer but the legal way. But for a peice of metal .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sven Hinka said:

Ok, so...
As far as I could understand, the thing goes like this: assemble the car, make it roadworthy, put an MOT on it based on the chassis number, ring DVLA about it, fill a form(V55/5 if I remember corectly) and pay an amount of money.

Did I missed anything?

Because it is an import, if it has never been registered here it needs to be declared under the NOVA scheme as I posted above. As you've only just bought it I'd be talking to DVLA and telling them, as there are fines that can be levied for not declaring NOVA, and you don't want to be paying them. If it has been registered here then that's not a problem. Unless you have paperwork showing the car was imported before the NOVA scheme was introduced, but I'd still be talking to them.

Edited by 1900SR