Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mantaray

VBOA Rally 2017..........Your views of the weekend.

27 posts in this topic

Now that we are all home, and the Rally is over for another year, the OMOC commette would like to ask you for your views of the weekend.

We have been given a feed back form by the VBOA and LMF and need your feed back so we can fill it in.

Please do not comment on other members posts, just list your personel views, good or bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some written Feedback from a member on the day, so to start things off :

  • Rally Plaque for the OMOC please for next year (complimentary as part of booking in)
  • Judging for the show and shine - Perhaps look at getting an impartial judge from another club to do the show and shine to make it more fair

I know theses are more specific to our own display than the VBOA show as a whole but keep the ideas coming in. We are aiming to have a committee de-brief meeting soon, so would like to look over all your suggestions then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Overall a very good weekend!  it always is as we are a great club! Love it!

Points to consider;

  • If it rains that field would be a mud bath
  • Concours and results on the Saturday kills the Sunday of the weekend! Voting on cars all day Saturday & results Sunday lunchtime
  • Nothing close by such as a place to eat etc 
  • toilets are poor (and pitch black at night)
  • not very well set out (I think VBOA visitor & car numbers were very down and i bet it was half the usual attendance figures)
  • showers (not enough and miles away)
  • why wasn't there anything in the middle of the field?
  • disabled access and baby facilities poor (over heard from conversations)
  • why cant we have an auto test or drag strip like they do in mainland Europe? (safe and controlled) 

I had a great weekend and will attend no matter where it is and all credit to all involved from the overall organising through to the club. Well done.

But bring back Billing is all I will say, its just a better venue which is also able to adapt to different situations which may arise. 

 

Edited by Danny D114BCW
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion as we stayed off site.

Layout not very good from our stand could not here any VBOA anouncements.

Although not camping showers and decent toilets to far away.

Again as not camping the food outlets could do with having better choice not everyone wants burgers.

Weather was great but if we would have got rain what do you do.

VBOA display circle and presentation not as good.

Did mention prior to show think all members that make the effort to get there cars to show should be given a token from club for attending,

Did enjoy weekend , quiz night was great,well done Ben.

As the last few years Sunday always feels like a anticlimax,poss have something on a sunday mid morning to look forward to.

Thanks for everyone for sorting show out. much appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Had a great weekend with the South Wales & West crew & enjoyed chatting to lots of fellow OMOC peeps.

Thanks to Steve & the LMF team who took up the mantle after Billing kicked us out. I complained to Steve about the lack of toilets at the Manta end of the ground on Friday evening & he arranged for extra loos from Saturday morning.

Steve from LMF did admit that they had underestimated the amount of people that would be camping & therefore using loos on Thursday & Friday. Also next time there will be proper rubbish skips dotted around the site.

Good points.

level ground, relatively easy to get to, unlike Puddle Duck at Billing which was like a fortress our area this time was more welcoming. Great display put on by the OMOC members. Showers were good, Flushing toilets were good.

Bad points.

Layout of the event by the VBOA (John Ackerman ?) was crap, scaling was all wrong he must have drawn it up on a fag packet.

Lack of toilets & those toilets were not serviced until Saturday morning, at an event like this toilets must be serviced at least once a day & preferably twice.

Lack of temporary standpipes & the ones that were provided were a long distance from the OMOC

It looked like of we had rain then the site could have become like Glastonbury especially near the entrance/shower facilities.

Unlike Billing Due to the lack of a pub/restaurant nearby then a beer tent & indoor eating facilities should have been provided. I understand that the VBOA vetoed beer being sold in case there was trouble. Last year our section of the OMOC attended a very big classic transport show at Powderham Castle in Devon. They have a massive beer & food marque with food outlets of all sorts of variety all over the site. They provide showers & toilets for the camping with silent generators to provide light & water pump power.

IMO if  we stay at Harborough in 2018 & if LMF are willing to organize the ticketing etc then the following needs to happen.

1. Arena, Autojumble, food & drink outlets need to be in the centre of the showground with the various clubs circled around it so everyone is roughly  equidistant from the facilities.

2. Extra toilets to be provided all around the site

3. Water bowsers provided at strategic locations around the site

Reference our show & shine & the judging

I prefer this format although I do understand what others are saying about going back to the prizes being given out on the Sunday.

The judging is down to personal preference some will prefer modified over original, some will prefer post face lift B's over pre facelift B's etc

On my voting form I tend to write down what catches my eye (the LHD GSi) or cars that look simply stunning due to the hard work put in by the owners like Simon Chapmans GTE exclusive & James Sene's Black SRB.

Special mention about Chris Burt's S reg Sapphire Blue SRB, what a find !

Some Manta's like the Orange B PEU ***R I wanted to vote for but couldn't due there being no number.

No derivatives (Ascona's & Cavs) to vote for this year first time I can rember this happening.

Finally thanks to Sean & Chris for organizing the OMOC stand & thanks to the OMOC committee & our VBOA rep Ian who helped to mark out the field. Once again well done LMF for having the balls to take this event on.

Edited by Rapierdave
7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First up, thanks to all that organised it. I don't imagine it was easy. I think a great time was had by all (I did!)

The set up and staff at the gate were spot on. Got in and out a lot quicker than billing. Got to the M1 before my engine got crazy hot, whereas at Billing it was touch and go. (possibly not a consideration for vboa.......)

Like others, the big open space in the middle was weird. It was a fair hike across to the showers and autojumble. I don't know if they needed them up there for water and power by the building but I'd say it needs a rethink. Was good to see them respond to the shortage of thunderboxes down our end, tho annoying it arose in the first place.

Billing had the advantage of shops on site, petrol station with shop, bars, restaurant all a short walk away. And a cash machine. That's not something that's easily sorted at mkt harborough, but a beer tent (with decent beer!) and more than a burger/toasty would be handy. If the beer tent was only open til, e.g. 6 or 7 then I'd say its not gonna cause huge problems. Its not like the site will be a 'dry zone' any way. 

If it did rain, I trust they'd have plenty matting for the access road to get out at the end so it didn't turn into a swamp. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As most have said above,great weekend. 

Well done to all those involved in organizing the vboa meet & omoc stand. 

The arena could maybe in the middle making it a more focal point. 

I thought the band on Saturday night was a fantastic idea,it also helps to get interaction between all clubs that attend. Also if a bar & food stalls around there the whole thing would have a good social feel to it. 

I have to agree with previous comments that from a club level there needs to be something on Sunday to keep people there. It no seems Friday & Saturday are the busiest 2 days. 

These are not moans,far from it just my thoughts 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Being involved in the organising to a small extent i will attempt to (partially) answer some the points raised -

22 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

If it rains that field would be a mud bath

 

21 hours ago, dougcae said:

Weather was great but if we would have got rain what do you do.

 

19 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

It looked like of we had rain then the site could have become like Glastonbury especially near the entrance/shower facilities.

 

18 hours ago, Shug said:

If it did rain, I trust they'd have plenty matting for the access road to get out at the end so it didn't turn into a swamp. 

The rally was very, very lucky with the weather, on both Thursday and Sunday nights there was a massive thunder storm within twenty miles north of the site, and when i left Monday i got 5 minutes down the road and drove into a shower, if one of those thunder storms had dumped its lot on R'brugh then the roadway around the parimeter of the site would have been like trying to drive through porridge.

 Unfortunately there is not a lot the show organisers can do about this, the site is Council owned and it is up to them to develope it as a show venue with all the perminant facilities that entails including roadways, that said tipping out hardcore and rolling it to form roadways isn't exactly rocket science,only penny pinching would prevent this.

21 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

Lack of toilets & those toilets were not serviced until Saturday morning, at an event like this toilets must be serviced at least once a day & preferably twice.

18 hours ago, Shug said:

It was a fair hike across to the showers and autojumble. I don't know if they needed them up there for water and power by the building but I'd say it needs a rethink. Was good to see them respond to the shortage of thunderboxes down our end, tho annoying it arose in the first place.

19 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

2. Extra toilets to be provided all around the site

21 hours ago, dougcae said:

Although not camping showers and decent toilets to far away.

22 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

toilets are poor (and pitch black at night)

 

LMF admit they mis-calculated about the toilets and the nature of the Thunder Boxes and there will be a major rethink on the whole subject, they admit there was not enough of them in the right places, they were not serviced often enough and thunder boxes alone are not enough for camping, they have taken onboard what was said and will do it differently next year.

 The flushing toilets and showers were postioned near the entrance building because that is the only place on site that has a sewer connection, again, hopefully in future years the council will develope the site, ideally with perminant shower and toilet blocks, or at least a swerage and water pipe system that allows flushing toilet and shower caravans to be evenly distributed around the site.

12 hours ago, davo said:

The arena could maybe in the middle making it a more focal point. 

18 hours ago, Shug said:

Like others, the big open space in the middle was weird.

20 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

Layout of the event by the VBOA (John Ackerman ?) was crap, scaling was all wrong he must have drawn it up on a fag packet.

21 hours ago, dougcae said:

Layout not very good from our stand could not here any VBOA anouncements.

22 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

why wasn't there anything in the middle of the field?

22 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

not very well set out (I think VBOA visitor & car numbers were very down and i bet it was half the usual attendance figures)

 

 This is the altered site plan, thought there are considerable alterations to other club stands that are not shown on this diagram -

 Market%20Harborough%20site%20plan%2003.2

 On this diagram the large squares represent 10m square, this makes the top corner of JOV 20m from the Viva Outlaws !!! in reallity this diagram bares almost F**£ ALL resemblence to what was on the ground. It was this graph paper map that was used, with on the day modifications, to mark out the site on Tuesday.

 I think John Ankerman got the site diamensions and more importantly the angles wrong, the concrete roadway was not at 45 degrees to the fence line and the site appeared much larger than this diagram suggests, the overall area of the Market Harborough Showground is about 25% larger than what the VBOA had availble at Billing, and a lot of the fields at Billing towards the static caravans had large areas with very few cars on, so all the clubs should have had all the space they wanted, not rammed up corners tripping over each others guy ropes

 When John Ankerman was trying to devise a site plan he asked the each club rep to provided him with the number of cars, tents, gazebos, caravans and motor homes that each club would be bring to the VBOA rally, this was in MARCH !!!, but worse than this he wanted to know the size in metres of each tent, gazebo, caravan, motorhome was that would be coming, when we all said this was asking the impossible, especially for the Manta Club as we have by far the highest porportion of camping members plus foriegn visitors, he got in right strop.

 I suggested the easy answer for us was to give the Manta Club the space we had at Billing to which came the response, "No, because you didn't use all the space you had", so i said we could survive with two thirds of what we had at Billing ( a realistic minimum with all our tents ) "No, your not having that much", Why the Manta Club had to be restricted to such proportionally a small space, 75m x 50m, i don't know, especially as Corsa Sport (3 Cars, 2 tents) got 30 x 60m, Kadette C (c10 cars, 5 tents) 30m x 60m, etc. The real insult came on Saturday morning when i complained on behalf of the Manta Club and was told "you have as much space as you had at Billing". Here is a Google Earth image of Puddleduck Field at Billing with outlined in yellow the area we got at R'brugh -

 Puddleduck%20with%20Rbrugh%20overlay%200

I will expect the next VBOA Commitee meeting to be a lively affair, well i have from a Club and personal point of view an axe grind. I know the club has been treated badly and i resent being played for a fool.

13 hours ago, davo said:

I have to agree with previous comments that from a club level there needs to be something on Sunday to keep people there. It no seems Friday & Saturday are the busiest 2 days. 

23 hours ago, dougcae said:

As the last few years Sunday always feels like a anticlimax,poss have something on a sunday mid morning to look forward to.

On 11/07/2017 at 12:18, Danny D114BCW said:

Concours and results on the Saturday kills the Sunday of the weekend! Voting on cars all day Saturday & results Sunday lunchtime

 

I don't get this, there is a huge car show and your right in the middle of it and your bored ? what are you expecting ? sit outside your tent in a deck chair and people come round like wandering Minstrals to entertain you ? to look at all the VBOA show properly will take a day, The day free you have on Sunday, if you don't want to spend hours walking take your deck chair to the main arena and the show will drive past your nose for 4 hours.

 The problems with having Club activities on Sunday as well means those who have the job of organising these activities have to be working both Saturday and Sunday, those taking part in the activities have to be around the Club stand both days, so if your someone who likes to see the wonders of the wider VBOA rally you will have little time to spare to see them, The last two years my Gold Manta Hatch has been walting for me get brave enough to take an angle grinder to the rear of the sills and repair it, not having a show car at the VBOA Rally has freed up so much time i have been able to investigate the whole show so much more and i have discovered that i have been missing such a lot all these years.

 In The Netherlands every show i have been to the main day is Saturday, Sunday is going home day, some leave early, others leave in the evening, a few stay until monday morning, there are no events on Sunday, They know that many people can only afford to take one day off for the show, they take Friday off so as they can drive there early on, have a Friday and Saturday evening on the sauce, Saturday during the day have all the events, then when they recovered from Saturday night (and the Dutch know how to PARTY !) drive home Sunday so as they can be back at work Monday, Logical.

22 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

Unlike Billing Due to the lack of a pub/restaurant nearby then a beer tent & indoor eating facilities should have been provided. I understand that the VBOA vetoed beer being sold in case there was trouble.

20 hours ago, Shug said:

Billing had the advantage of shops on site, petrol station with shop, bars, restaurant all a short walk away. And a cash machine. That's not something that's easily sorted at mkt harborough,

On 11/07/2017 at 12:18, Danny D114BCW said:

Nothing close by such as a place to eat etc 

 The Center of Market Harborough was a pleasant surprize, it has recently won an award for the best Town center, The big supermarkets have been positioned so they are within 300m of the town square and all the other shops, so you can park in the large (pay and dispair, Grrrr ) car parks, walk into the center, go in the shops, then get your groceries from the supermarkets on the way back. There are lots of places to eat, Roy and Patty from the Netherlands ticked off their anual English bucket list along St Marys road, Full English Breakfast, Fish and Chips, Indian Curry (not all at once !)

 But this does all hinge upon being able to drive a car down into R'brugh ( though two from the Manta Club had a day in the R'brugh pubs by bus, which are frequent along the main road ) but If you have been knocking back the sauce in vast quantities then driving your car is out of the question and your mainly reliant upon the onsite food traders, though all the take-a-ways in R'brugh would deliver to the gates of the show.

 When we all get used to lay of the land we can devise our own ways of best exploiting what is available locally, with a bit of pre-planning i don't think anyone need go without anything, No, R'brugh is not quite as convenient as Billing but its far from terrible.

 

 On the whole the show was a success, certainly did not live upto the expectations of the doom-sayers, LMF did a good job but acknowledge it could have been better in a few areas, particulary the toilets, but they are willing to take onboard what has been said and make changes for next year.

 The site layout on the VBOA side ( the Club stands half of the field ) was a F**£ UP, this must drastically change, preferable with complete integration with the rest of the show, wether John Ankerman will be willing to accept that it was wrong is another thing entirely, this was his grand plan, his baby, if it gets shot down in flames he might 'go off on one' and throw the towel in with any show organising, and no one else wants to step forward and grasp the hot potato that is the organisation of the VBOA rally, as i said above the next VBOA Commitee meeting will be an dramatic one.

 On the Manta Club stand we played the best hand with the $H*! cards we were delt, the layout worked out well ( Top work Chris ) even though one road way had to be abandoned and a row of show cars had to be put infront of the stand boundary, the way the Mantas were lined up was a lot more show like than just parking in lines ( that just looks like a car park not a show ) The communal incineration of dinner ( BBQ'ing together ) was a great idea, everyone could have what they wanted and how much they wanted yet we all came together in one place, The quiz was as obscure as ever ( i do worry about what goes around in your head Ben, your so random you might need therapy ), the quiz did have the odd hick-up ( Queen - fat bottom girls, and the Highlight for me, Ben trying to argue about Manta dates with Riener Mantay, a.k.a. The Manta Oracle !)

 The Opel Manta OC is the club most dedicated to the VBOA Rally, we had more tents there on thursday and Monday morning than the rest of field, we have a far larger proportion of members camping at the show than other clubs and for the size of our club we have a proportionally larger turn out of across the board high quality cars, we are well organised and have the best social scene with our saturday evening gathering, we can give ourselves a pat on the back, we deserve it because we are the best !!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year we popped our VBOA cherry and attended the rally at Billing.  As newbies to the Manta club we didn't know what to expect.  We throrouthly enjoyed the show and were worn out by the Monday from walking round.

As towards this year, although the stand appeared to look like as the club calibra man called it a 'ghetto' we thought it more resembled Glastonbury with decent classic cars.  From a personal point of view I found the layout, although compact, very very friendly and people seemed to interact more because we were in such close proximity.  Sharon and I both feel the atmosphere was fantastic and that you felt more involved.  We would personally like to thank the guys from LMF, Mick and Steve who pulled off what we believe was a great show.  

On the Thursday morning when we pulled in early Mick showed us to the stand and had a brief chat and told us that they knew that it wouldn't be perfect but they would like to hear all comments, both positive and negative, so they could improve on it for next year. 

We would also like to thank all the people from the OMOC who give up their time to organise the event.  Unfortunately we got lumbered with Shaun Scouse Git Broadbent who was manic all weekend.  Loved meeting up with all our friends we made last year and had a great time.  Thanks to everybody for making a fantastic effort, it made our trip worthwhile.  As towards next year, be it Market Harborough or Billing, as a personal preference Billing wins on amenities but Market Harborough knocks it out of the park for club atmosphere. 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great reply Ian. I still stand by what i say and do we really think the council will put roads, toilets and other services in???? NO. Next year if we end up back there it will be the same with just more portable toilets. Also why on gods green earth would you put the biggest club and the best cars (Mantas) the furthest away??? doesn't make sense.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a point of clarification, the site, I believe, is jointly owned by William Davis Construction group, Leics council and is managed by the Leicestershire Agricultural society. There are plans afoot to turn the show ground into a large agricultural ground similar to the NAC at Stoneleigh or the East of England showground at Peterborough. It will take time but the plans are already in place, and will be delivered as the funds are permitting.  The small office block was built by William Davis construction as an initial gesture to get things going. They are a local developer and over the years, have put a lot into the local communities, unlike some of the larger Bovis/Bloor homes type that do little for local amenities. 

Living quite local to the site, I see some of the other events that have been advertised there, and it is starting to gain impetus. There was a decent sized music festival on the week before we went and more use will mean that the roads and other facilities start to come together. The agricultural show last year was large enough to bring Harborough town centre to a standstill, so they have hosted larger shows than the VBOA one already. 

The site is still a bit rough but as the ground settles down it will only get better I'm sure. It wouldn't take much to get the old airstrip repaired either, which would also be a useful addition to the site as it provides a roadway across the whole site. 

The bad issues I noted were:

  • Toilet facilities were inadequate, especially on our side of the field
  • The layout of the show was utterly baffling....large space in the middle with nothing on, clubs cramped up on the edges
  • IMHO, John should not be allowed to organise the map/ layout again, as it is clearly beyond his abilities. My little boy could have done better with his aquadoodle  
  • There was nowhere to empty a chemical toilet
  • The water standpipes were few and far between and none on our end of the site, which was not acceptable really
  • The catering facilities were poor, but that can easily be improved next year. We will bring our own BBQ Man!
  • The grass cutting was a bit rough, again this will improve as the site gets more use I'm sure
  • The VBOA display was poorly set out and located. Perhaps as it was the other side of the field from us but I saw very little of what went on
  • No PA system for the event covering the whole site. 
  • I agree that Sunday was a let down. I was really surprised to see just how many folks were leaving at lunchtime. We ought to have a think about this as get something organised to provide some interest. Personally, I always liked the concours on the Sunday but ho hum. 

 

Ian has covered the main issue in his post above but the biggest problem by far was the way in which the OMOC was stuffed in the corner and not given anywhere near enough space for the number of cars and campers that attended. We are by far the largest single make club in the VBOA and I feel we were treated poorly this year. I will be making my feelings known in a letter to the VBOA in due course. If this was to happen again, I would suggest that we look at organising our own show and withdraw from the event as our national meeting and just go back to how we used to do things beforehand, we attended as part of the midlands area meetings and anyone was welcome to come along. We had a separate concours event in July. 

On the good side, there were loads of plus points but the main ones I noted:

  • LMF did a fantastic job. The gate wardens were happy, smiley and generally pleasant every time I spoke to them. You dont get that at Billing!
  • It was nice to be camped in close proximity to one another as we all mixed and mingled much more than ever before
  • The site was very Easy to find and get in and out generally all weekend
  • prices for camping and visiting were very reasonable considering what you would normally fork out (perhaps the lack of Vinnies and the chip shop helped out with that,)
  • The skylarks were great to hear as you woke up in the morning!

Personally, I would be more than happy to go back again and do it all again next weekend. It was more like one of the shows we used to do 20 years ago and it really did give me a massive boost. Loved every minute of it. 

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jim@Sharon said:

Unfortunately we got lumbered with Shaun Scouse Git Broadbent who was manic all weekend. . 

 

There's no need to be nasty Jim.  It was my manic attitude that got everything in place and organised 😀

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, yella said:

There's no need to be nasty Jim.  It was my manic attitude that got everything in place and organised 😀

Scouse git, you were the highlight of the weekend.  It was a joy to watch you charge around whilst I sat there in the shade with a nice cup of tea.

It wouldn't have been as enjoyable if you hadn't have been there you bloody loony.

Hope all goes well this week, keep your chin up.

See you next year, I'll have the kettle on.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that got me, once again the OMOC didn't have an entry into the Chairman's Cup. I thought this was one of the reasons for moving the show and shine to Saturday? I know James left fairly early on the Sunday, but surely if the car of the show couldn't be entered we could have entered the car that came second?

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told  it was down to our vboa rep to make sure the car was there for the chairmanship cup 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like our efforts were in vain then......... we did try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, yella said:

I was told  it was down to our vboa rep to make sure the car was there for the chairmanship cup 

The Manta Club participation in the arena parade was declined on behalf of the Manta Club by someone else a long time ago, Then attendance in the arena parade was organised by a different person and no one told me, The VBOA Rep, That is until it was mentioned as an aside in a conversation at 23:30 Saturady night ! Goodness why but it seems that i was the last to know what the Plans of the Manta Club were reguarding the VBOA.

 

8 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

I agree that Sunday was a let down. I was really surprised to see just how many folks were leaving at lunchtime. We ought to have a think about this as get something organised to provide some interest. Personally, I always liked the concours on the Sunday but ho hum. 

What the hell ???? If people haven't got the interest or imagination to look around the huge VBOA Show and instead sit around bored on Sunday then thats there problem, why should the few who have job of organising the Manta Club work the WHOLE weekend to keep people entertained ?

 The Manta Club timetable we have now is perfect, Saturday the club does all the things that keep us on our Club Stand, Shine & Show, results, BBQ, Quiz. Sunday there is the arena parade for selected / volanteered / press ganged Mantas, Otherwise there is free time to go and look at the wider VBOA Show rather than being compelled to remain on the Manta Club Stand on both main days of the VBOA Show to complete the weekends Manta Club activities.

 People leaving Sunday lunchtime is exactly what was intended by this timetable, those who have a long way to travel to get to the show don't have to stay Sunday night and take a day off work Monday, something that a lot of people can't do or don't want to try and afford. This is what happens at Cars Shows in the Netherlands, If you can afford or get Friday off work then you get to the Show as early as you can on Friday, if not get to show as early as possible Saturday, all the activities take place on Saturday including the legendary Dutch Saturday night parties, Sunday you are free to stay as long as you want but leave in time to get home. utter logic.

The Answer to this is for a few of these bored people who haven't already got a Manta Club duty at the VBOA Show to organise an activity for Sunday morning that is seperate from all the other official activities of the Manta Club, so those others that are bored can be enterianed, those that want to see the whole VBOA Show won't miss important Manta Club events.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get this, as much as we like mantas there isn't enough to keep us there all day, so why people cant get around on the Saturday to view other clubs is beyond me. I just think Sunday is missing something, maybe arrange the club meeting on the Sunday or something as its not making work for anybody else. This isnt nit picking it just making something that's good even better. 

Lots of love, Danny. ;-)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Paul  I don't think our efforts were in vain  i for one had a fantastic weekend  

 

Ian. I was told on Saturday afternoon this the manta club had pulled out of the ring after the vboa meeting on Sunday morning after a personal conflict. I was fuming as Paul and Chris will confirm. I had spent Thursday Friday and all of Saturday morning making sure the stand looked good and people were happy with their camping area. After an ad hoc committee meeting we decided on the cars for the parade ring and I confirmed with the owners that they were happy to take part at 9am on Sunday morning. I attended the morning vboa meetings on Saturday and Sunday morning along with Anne. if you had been there you wouldn't have been the last to know. 

 

Danny. I totally agree. Weekend car shows always start to decline early afternoon on a Sunday as people need to travel home and get ready for working Monday's.  A club meet on Sunday at say noon would be good to discuss anything and everything perhaps even a second bbq to bring people together. 

 

Another couple of points that are maybe worth considering. 

The club marquee wasn't used to its full potential. I'm not sure having the shop separate worked as the marquee seemed to be empty apart from Natalie sorting out membership. All weekend I didn't really see anyone use it even though it was the only shaded area in our vicinity. 

Secondly. There are a lot of complaints going around about the toilet facilities yet it seemed to me that a lot of club members considered it acceptable to urinate against the fence behind our campsite. 

 

On on a closing note. This was my first year being involved in organising the manta club stand which I was asked to take on by Simon a week before the show. A lot of what I did was a learning curve but judging by people's comments I don't think I did too bad a job. As I have been elected as the club events organiser I will have more involvement before hand and moving forward we can hopefully do things a bit better and with more organisation next year. 

Edited by yella
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yella said:

Ian. I was told on Saturday afternoon this the manta club had pulled out of the ring after the vboa meeting on Sunday morning after a personal conflict.

( above sentance doesn't make a lot of sense ) Not certain it was a personal comflict, but i don't know for sure as i was kept out of the loop.

 

6 hours ago, yella said:

After an ad hoc committee meeting we decided on the cars for the parade ring

A meeting that did not include me despite being the clubs VBOA Rep whos job it is to tell the VBOA the clubs intensions, but as above, i was being kept out of the loop.

6 hours ago, yella said:

I attended the morning vboa meetings on Saturday and Sunday morning along with Anne. if you had been there you wouldn't have been the last to know. 

I was at the meetings both mornings so you needn't start putting it about that i didn't do my job and not show up, Lying to membership like this to try and undermine me has crossed a line, and I HATED LIARS ! i was a little late to the meeting Sunday morning because i was still trying find out what Mantas were going round the ring, information i had to pass onto Richard Watt who was organising the parade, but if course i wasn't privilaged to this information.

6 hours ago, yella said:

 A club meet on Sunday at say noon would be good to discuss anything

Bad idea, people are not always in a calm and fair state of mind at the VBOA Rally for various reasons and it becomes a case of who can shout the loudest gets their way, this is why we have an AGM that is run to very strict rules to make sure that the Club operates on a fair and democractic basis and not undermined by add hock fringe meetings.

6 hours ago, yella said:

As I have been elected as the club events organiser

No you haven't, there are only a small number of post in the Opel Manta OC that have to be filled by election at the AGM, events organiser is not one of them.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/07/2017 at 20:16, mantaray said:

Please do not comment on other members posts, just list your personal views, good or bad.

 

This is exactly why I stated the above, I wanted to keep it simple and not start arguments.

Please stick to feed back of the weekend, if you wish to have a discussion, please start a new post.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

only went for the day ( Saturday ) so the timetable of events was perfect for me

no issues with the toilets only needed a pee mind 

only issue i had was having to drive through the middle of the field to get out as i drove in along the fence line when i arrived and that made more sense , could not leave that way due to members of another club blocking the route and too stupid to see common sense 

also enjoyed Mr Broadbents organisational skills and passion Thank you  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

-I personally think the whole weekend was a success considering the new venue etc.

-The issues highlighted were bound to happen really with unknown number potential and break in traditional roll of events and people organising. 

-with this years experinece over the improvements are obvious and hopefully public numbers will increase.

-was good too see quite a few European members in attendance too. 

-the marquee was too bloody hot to sit under lol no breeze! 

-deffo get the BBQ back again from previous years and try and encourage a layout around the marquee to bring everyone together 

-maybe our own omoc Loos could be  a good idea especially for the lady members of the club. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Paul Barrett
Spelling mistakes!
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the need to chip in again. As Chris says, and as Gary and Paul have continued to do, let's stick to discussing any points we can take forward for both our own stand and the VBOA event in general. 

Shaun did as excellent job and volunteered to help out as National meeting organiser. I naturally accepted his kind offer as we need all the help we can get. Let's not start picking fault with one another otherwise we end up in the position where no one wants to volunteer for fear of getting it in the neck. Play nicely or not at all. Nuff said. 

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly enjoyed the event as much as normal if not more, I got to see all Manta friends from around the country and also our overseas visitors I tried to circulate hopefully I didn't miss too many, thanks to all involved within our club.

Steve and crew from LMF I feel did a good job of organising without them we wouldn't have a event this year they took a financial risk running the event and hopefully it worked out well for them , they also listened to club members an even added extra porta loos near the Manta area when asked. Sure the field was lacking in facilities but hopefully they will be added and the site developed if we continue to visit. I am still rather annoyed that Billing kicked us out after going their so many years I think my first was 1991 where is their loyalty :angry: .

I think the main problem was the VBOA a totally hopeless layout with

1, A large empty space in the middle which could of had the arena in so all clubs get a chance to see parades etc

 2, Why would you have the Manta club with the biggest turnout of members shoehorned into the corner when other clubs had large plots with very few cars or tents , the Manta club has a large turnout of high quality cars that should have a much better position 

3, We were so far away from the showers, arena, auto jumble and other facilities.

4, The Manta parade in ring was rather early 9am so not many people up to view it from other clubs 

I feel the Manta club is rather out of favour with the VBOA despite all efforts from our reps 

I don't think we missed much with no Manta in the   chairmans cup as this is always biased to people with ramps and mirrors (maybe even smoke and mirrors) and also the way other clubs get all members to vote en block for their entries .     

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.