anyone in Crewe or nearby Cheshire?

mazdarazmataz

If the car has not been run for some time the fuel seems to "run back" to the tank if that makes sense, After laying mine up for the winter I always have to disconnect pipe from fuel pump and use a siphon to drag fuel back to the pump, then it starts first time. hth

IF it was mine.........

1 Handbrake.  Release handbrake and with car running rock forward and backward.  If still stuck turn off engine, chock wheels securely and tap back plates with a hammer.

2 Fuel.  If this is a carburettor car then the non-return valves in the pump are defective, or an air leak.

But it's not mine and I recommend nothing except safety first and do a risk assessment before starting  If in doubt seek expert help

No its a GTE with injection if I could get it running I would use that to free the rear brakes, or if i could free the brakes, i would get my garage to tow it to solve the fueling, its kind of a catch 22 situation.

I might have someone coming to look/help on Monday. Its too technical for me and no mobile mechanics will come out to a classic car :(.

There was a manta guy I spoke to a while back who lived near Leighton hospital, Crewe who offered to help but I have list his details, anyone know who I'm talking about?

Well because I have had to replace fuel lines, engine turns over on the starter. To be honest, Im inexperienced with mechanics, and have never had to mess with fuel systems before, and some of the stuff that's basic to you, is complicated to me :o

However I'm keen to get it going so I can get it moted

I work in Crewe just of Wistaston Road nr Stubbs and Jewson's if that is near you? I don't live in the area so depending on times I might be able to assist. I work Mon - Fri usually 0700 -1500.

I think it's Pat that lives near Leighton Hospital.

I keep getting told that there is another Manta owner who works for my employer DB Cargo, but I have never seen the car/owner yet.

• Like 2

First thing as mantadoc says is the pump running? use the 2p trick in the fusebox to power the pump (with ign on) and see if you hear it. That will guide you to where to look next.

Also as you replaced the fuel lines under the car have you possibley got them the wrong way around? The feed from pump/filter goes to the T piece on the fuel rail. The return to the tank connects to the fuel pressure regulator (small cylinder shaped piece in fuel lines sat in middle of injection manifold with a vacuum pipe to the throttle body)

Common issue having them backwards and not starting.

On 05/11/2017 at 09:32, mantasrme said:

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have mixed up the pipes as I would have replaced them one at a time. I replaced basically  all the ones that have bends by the fuel pump assembly. This was  a while back, and when I tried to start it again it was then leaking out of one of the pipes in the engine bay this time but it did catch and briefly run. I have changed that one too now. I'm sure the pumps running as can smell fuel when attempting start. I have noticed a wire spade connection out near the fuse box god knows why that is out or what it goes to, its grey in colour, will have a better look in the light

Often fag lighter or lights on buzzer are the push on spades in the bottom of the fuse box. 

However, it doesn't matter because a GTE will run with all fuses missing except the one to the fuel pump and those wires are crimped directly to the fuse terminals and is a blue wire.

Still try the 2p trick and see if you hear the pump run.  alternatively make sure both sides of the fuel pump fuse are live, they suffer from being poor contacts.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2007 at 20:45, mantadoc said:

fusebox.jpg

The fuel pump runs through fuse 7 on a GTE, and those of you who have tried will know you can pull every fuse out of the box but 7 and a Manta will still run.

So what's the point? Well if your injection relay goes you can usually limp home like this, a copper coin bridges either fuse 6 or 8 to 7 to power the fuel pump. Leave the injection relay in place when doing this or the injection won't run.

Other uses:

• Ran out of fuel and don't want to flatten the battery cranking while you wait for pressure
  • Emptying the tank / flushing new pipes
  • Finding out which is the feed if you don't trust going by pipe position
  • Some muppet connected an imobilizer / cut out switch badly
  • Fuel pump live will back feed to ignition, so you can pull the key out and leave the car running

Downsides, if its a poor connection the coin can get hot so don't melt the fuse box

No warranty implied or given.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mantadoc said:

Often fag lighter or lights on buzzer are the push on spades in the bottom of the fuse box. 

However, it doesn't matter because a GTE will run with all fuses missing except the one to the fuel pump and those wires are crimped directly to the fuse terminals and is a blue wire.

Still try the 2p trick and see if you hear the pump run.  alternatively make sure both sides of the fuel pump fuse are live, they suffer from being poor contacts.

Good "ol" mantadoc and his 2p trick it will be on his epitaph God bless him....:thumbup

How long has the fuel been in the tank for? Couldn't get mine started and tried everything and then read a thread about fuel going off after 6 months +, drained the fuel and added new and it started first time. Mine is an A series running fuel injection. Worth a try?

Andy

CAR IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!! And appears to be running well. Will further investigate next weekend and hopefully free the brakes. It was more fuel leaks, after replacement started first time, I am one happy bunny. Thanks to those who proffered advice and help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo, if I was rebuilding/removing the drums (Haynes manual is a bit vague) where is the adjuster to make the shoes back off? Is it the small hole in the face of the front rotor? And does this have to be rotated until it lines up with something?