Tightening poly nuts on ball joint spindles.

Mike.

I'm building back up the front subframe of my manta b after re bushing, track rod ends, top and bottom ball joints and a new coat of paint.

my problem is trying to tighten the poly nuts on the ball joints, they just keep spinning as the subframe is off the car I have no weight of car to help engage the joints or I can't put a jack under to press them up. Is there a solution to engage the tapered spindles before I fit the subframe to the car?

Edited by Mike.
Picture quota

Hi Mike, try compressing the spring up so no force is being applied to the lower arm.

Then perch the subframe up on a bench, so it's supported under the ball joint.

Then hang something quite weighty from the stub axle which should allow for some "grip" to bear on the tapered joint and hopefully now when you tighten the nut the spindle doesn't turn. Good luck 👍

Edited by monaco ray
  • Like 1

Try using washers under the nut. It will be the nylon ring causing the spindle to turn, use washers so your just tightening on the plain threads. You should be able to tighten the joint so the taper gets hold, remove the nut and washers and then replace the nut1

HTH

Chris

• Like 2

Job done, thanks for the advice and tips. As you can see from the first photo a ratchet strap was bolted into the shock absorber bolt and looped under bottom arm then tightened up, washers under the poly nut pulled the spindle through without spinning locking it into place then washers removed and poly nut tightened this process was repeated on top and bottom both sides. Last photo showes completed job on the bottom ball joint. 👍

Edited by Mike.
Edited
  • Like 1